Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much is a taxi Millbrae --> SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:32 am
Original Poster

How much is a taxi Millbrae --> SFO?

Have a flight out of terminal 1 on Monday, and saw that BART is now $4 to connect from Caltrain (!). I'm wondering if with two people, the taxi fare for such a short distance might be comparable to the $8 we'd need to pay to take BART to the wrong terminal?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
It's going to be about the same fare.. possibly a little more for the taxi with a tip.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:52 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Would a SamTrans bus be a practical alternative to CalTrain? A SamTrans line from S.F. and one from the Peninsula stop directly at SFO.
http://www.samtrans.com/system_map.html
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My plan A is to take a Samtrans bus. But busses sometimes have a way of not showing up, hence my wanting to know how much a taxi would be if I need to go to plan B.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I've taken a taxi from SFO to Millbrae only twice, when my flights were delayed and arrived after BART shuts down. I paid $11-$12 (including a hefty tip out of guilt for the small fare). I haven't noticed how easy/hard it is to get a taxi from Millbrae, however.

I have taken the Samtrans bus, but only from the Peninsula side. The advantage was that it was cheap and stopped directly at each terminal with no transfers. That saves the time, hassle, and expense of the BART connection. (Back when I used to park at BART, it could take me 30 minutes just to get from the airport to the BART garage.)
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:48 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by mikew99
I paid $11-$12 (including a hefty tip out of guilt for the small fare).
No need to feel bad for a short trip out of SFO. Taxi drivers who return to SFO within 30 minutes are permitted to skip the long queue for their next pickup.

See http://transportationreviews.com/new...nsafe-driving/.

The article says the airport was considering revising the rule last month, so I'm not sure if it's still in place.

I have mixed feelings about the short trip rule. On one hand, I do see the reason why drivers shouldn't get screwed after waiting for three hours in line, effectively without pay. (Then again, if the short rule is abandoned, taxi queues at SFO may shorten commensurately with the lowered EV of getting in line.) On the other hand, we've been in some scary taxi rides as the drivers drive like the car's stolen to make their short. (We live close to short range, so some taxis think they can make it if they hurry -- they can't.) Or sometimes you see empty taxis hauling a** down 101 to get back to the airport in time. It can be scary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.