Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

5am-9pm stop over - showers, lounges and hotel day-rates

Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Hello,

we will arrive on United First from HNL in SFO at 5am and continue on Lufthansa Business to MUC at 9pm We have visited SFO before, so going into town is an option, but not a must.

Is there any lounge we could take a shower? Iʻll assume we would have access to the international terminal with the MUC boarding passes then, if this helps. (I couldnʻt figure out if the RCC in the Int. Terminal actually has showers. I read about FreshenUp, opens at 7am in the Int. Terminal.)

Otherwise, we are thinking of taking a hotel room. I saw some recommendations here to book the Hyatt through Priceline. Does this work if we are basically trying to stay during the day, any experiences? The day-rate I got through the Hyatt reservations office was I think $140...

Any recommendations are very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers from Honolulu,
/ xanth
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There are no lounges in SFO with showers, but there is a facility called "Freshen Up!"

This is located landside.

From the SFO site:
Are there shower facilities available in the terminals?

Shower facilities are available at Freshen Up! located on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102. Freshen Up! is open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. For additional information call 650.877.0798.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Palal, thanks for the detailed pointer to FreshenUp.

After some more research, I decided to go with a day-rate for the Hyatt (USD 74,50 from 10am to 6pm). The Hilton is either USD 129 or USD 59 for a day-rate from 10am-5pm, depending on who you talk to

Booking a normal night-rate from the day before, would require a pre-checkin by phone, check-out would be noon, late-checkout (not guaranteed), 2pm or 3pm. I did not want to risk being late at the hotel due to the flight being delayed and having to leave again a few hours later...

We will have breakfast at the Hyatt (buffet USD 19,50) and just enjoy the day with loads of sleep

/ xanth
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Palal
There are no lounges in SFO with showers, but there is a facility called "Freshen Up!"
There is the Singapore Airlines SilverKrisLounge that has showers. With a departing *A international business ticket you should have access to it (or if you were *Gold). Unfortunately, the hours are fairly limited for your flight times (opens around 9am, closes around noon:30, opens again about 8:30pm which is pretty useless for a 9pm departure).
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer. The hours indeed do not match at all our schedule

Earlier, I was also looking into using the UA's Arrival Lounge (w/ showers). I am not sure, if we would have had access though: see here

There also an old thread with mixed lounge-access experiences to the KrisFlyer lounge.

Thanks again for your help. I am still very happy with the Hyatt option, since it offers a bed, a TV and a breakfast buffet I'll report how it was...

/ xanth

Edit: back from the trip - Even though the day-rate officially starts at 10am, we were given a room at 6h30am and left at 5pm. Everything worked out fine. Would do it again this way.

Last edited by xanth; Jan 16, 2010 at 7:46 am
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by xanth

Earlier, I was also looking into using the UA's Arrival Lounge (w/ showers). I am not sure, if we would have had access though: see here
Just for your information for future reference, you don't have access to UA's arrival lounge, as it is for pax arriving SFO from international UA (no codeshare, has to be UA metal) flights in F, C, award C, award F and upgrade F from C, HNL-SFO is domestic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.