Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Taxis from Millbrae BART to the Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

I'm thinking that it would be fast and cheap for a three-day weekend to park at Millbrae starting Saturday A.M., pay for overnight airport parking starting the Monday by buying a permit from BART on the web, and taking a cab both ways. So the parking for 3 days would be $6 plus cab fare.

There's one question. I once tried taking a taxi from San Bruno BART and, unlike other railroads in other parts of the world, there were no taxis there and I had to call.

Anyone know if taxis hang out at Millbrae BART?
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:00 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I assume you're flying out of SFO Saturday, returning Monday. Why would you take a cab between Millbrae BART and SFO, unless you had several people with you? Adult BART fare between the two stations is only $4. A cab has to be over $5 + tip and many cabbies won't be overjoyed at the short trip. IIRC, there are a few cabs available at the Millbrae Station.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:07 am
Original Poster

I would want to take a cab because if there is a cab stand and waiting cabs, I can get in a cab immediately (i.e., not waiting for the train) and get taken to my terminal. The BART alternative is $4 for each of the two of us, waiting for the train, and ending up at the station at the international terminal and then having to walk or take Airtrain to the terminal we actually want.

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
I assume you're flying out of SFO Saturday, returning Monday. Why would you take a cab between Millbrae BART and SFO, unless you had several people with you? Adult BART fare between the two stations is only $4. A cab has to be over $5 + tip and many cabbies won't be overjoyed at the short trip. IIRC, there are a few cabs available at the Millbrae Station.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:04 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
My memory also

If you happen to hit rush hour there may be cabs but I have painful memories of trying to call one and having the cabbie that showed up be really PO'd at the short trip and drive off!

If you know when you are getting there you could try pre booking a local cab company to pick you up.

Coming back should not be a problem.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr
If you happen to hit rush hour there may be cabs but I have painful memories of trying to call one and having the cabbie that showed up be really PO'd at the short trip and drive off!

If you know when you are getting there you could try pre booking a local cab company to pick you up.

Coming back should not be a problem.
Do you really think that a taxi would be happy to get a fare from SFO to Millbrae BART after waiting for an hour in that queue? I am not so sure that getting a taxi back would be a lot of fun.

Taking Bart instead of a taxi to/from Millbrae to/from SFO usually requires a transfer at San Bruno now and certainly doesn't sound very appealing.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Coming back is indeed not a problem. As I understand it, if the cab returns to the airport within a half hour of departure it gets to jump to the head of the line.

Going was not a problem. When I got to South San Francisco on 101 I called a cab and it got there 90 seconds after I got to the taxi stand at Millbrae BART. The fare was about $10 including tip. Cheaper and faster than any off-airport parking for the three days.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Do you really think that a taxi would be happy to get a fare from SFO to Millbrae BART after waiting for an hour in that queue? I am not so sure that getting a taxi back would be a lot of fun.

Taking Bart instead of a taxi to/from Millbrae to/from SFO usually requires a transfer at San Bruno now and certainly doesn't sound very appealing.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Coming back is indeed not a problem. As I understand it, if the cab returns to the airport within a half hour of departure it gets to jump to the head of the line.

Going was not a problem. When I got to South San Francisco on 101 I called a cab and it got there 90 seconds after I got to the taxi stand at Millbrae BART. The fare was about $10 including tip. Cheaper and faster than any off-airport parking for the three days.
Cool! Great to know that my misgivings were unfounded and this is a viable option, I might try it on an upcoming trip.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:47 pm

Interesting to hear that they can jump back to the head of the queue within a certain time period!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.