FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   S.P.A.M. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m-2/)
-   -   Mypoints for Amazon.com gift card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m/929153-mypoints-amazon-com-gift-card.html)

mzredhead Mar 6, 2009 7:20 am

Mypoints for Amazon.com gift card

How long does it take to receive the gift card? Can gift cards from different people be combined for one purchase?

Ritz Mar 6, 2009 7:35 am

All gift card codes for online redemption can be combined, IIRC. I currently have a $350 credit for redemptions from like 5 different codes input.

As for the MyPoints redemption - mine took quite bit longer than I thought it would. Something like over a month. It seems all the MyPoints GC's now take a lot longer then they used to (used to be like 10 days and you had your reward).

rc408 Mar 6, 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by mzredhead (Post 11370631)
How long does it take to receive the gift card? Can gift cards from different people be combined for one purchase?

Be aware: I had 2 different accounts at different addresses and names;) and ordered Overstock.com cards from both. I collected several cards before I tried to redeem them. What I found was that I could use multiple cards for the same order that were issued to the same MyPoints account only.

So my 4 cards had to be split into 2 different purchases.

cepheid Mar 6, 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by rc408 (Post 11371635)
What I found was that I could use multiple cards for the same order that were issued to the same MyPoints account only.

OK, but the OP asked specifically about Amazon. That policy does not apply to Amazon. Amazon gift cards have a code on them that can be redeemed online... it can be redeemed by anyone, as the codes are not tied to a specific account until redeemed. Once redeemed, the gift amounts can simply be "bankrolled" until spent, so you don't have to actually spend them immediately (which is good because the cards are easy to lose).

So, to the OP: yes, you can combine as many codes from as many cards as you want, simply by redeeming them to your account.

rc408 Mar 6, 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by cepheid (Post 11372327)
OK, but the OP asked specifically about Amazon. That policy does not apply to Amazon. Amazon gift cards have a code on them that can be redeemed online... it can be redeemed by anyone, as the codes are not tied to a specific account until redeemed. Once redeemed, the gift amounts can simply be "bankrolled" until spent, so you don't have to actually spend them immediately (which is good because the cards are easy to lose).

Good to know. I'll have to start collecting Amazon cards instead of Overstock.com

KathyWdrf Mar 6, 2009 9:46 pm

In general, I find Amazon GCs the best of any GCs out there. Not only can you bankroll a number of them online, but Amazon just has such a huge selection of items for sale it's almost unbelievable.

And their prices are quite often competitive or even the best (when their free shipping etc. is factored in).

Only problem with mypoints is that occasionally, they seem to stop offering Amazon GCs (maybe there's a periodic quota), then they start again.

boxo Mar 12, 2009 1:27 am

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Sears cards could be used at Landsend.com? I tend to think so, but thought I'd see if anyone has had personal experience doing so. TIA.

PROACTIVE Mar 12, 2009 2:53 am

I have an additional question. I never redeemed an Amazon giftcard at Mypoints. Could you please tell me if teh giftcard is just an email with a code on it or if you get a real plastic card?

Thanx

lin821 Mar 12, 2009 3:26 am

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 11401782)
Can anyone confirm whether or not the Sears cards could be used at Landsend.com? I tend to think so, but thought I'd see if anyone has had personal experience doing so.

I believe Sears and Landsend GCs can be used interchangeably. (Same mother company?)

I can at least confirm being able to use a Landsend GC at Sears for in-store purchases.

Originally Posted by PROACTIVE (Post 11401909)
I never redeemed an Amazon giftcard at Mypoints. Could you please tell me if teh giftcard is just an email with a code on it or if you get a real plastic card?

I have yet to redeem for Amezon GCs but I believe they send you an email with the e-cert.

boxo Mar 12, 2009 5:24 am

Thanks, lin821. Haven't decided if I want to redeem for Sears (LE), but I'll report back if I do.

I believe the Amazon codes used to be sent via email, but now snail mail. The Amazon redemption screen says something about (postal) mail. :confused:

lin821 Mar 12, 2009 5:54 am

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 11402175)
I believe the Amazon codes used to be sent via email, but now snail mail. The Amazon redemption screen says something about (postal) mail. :confused:

Postal mail or not, I think the 4-6 (or 2-4) weeks delivery screen is just the standard default for all Mypoints redemptions.

As far as I know, all Amazon GCs are codes sent in email. Maybe someone with recent redemption can confirm if Mypoints has switched Amazon GCs from e-certs to plastic GCs.

Ritz Mar 12, 2009 5:59 am

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 11402226)
Postal mail or not, I think the 4-6 (or 2-4) weeks delivery screen is just the standard default for all Mypoints redemptions.

As far as I know, all Amazon GCs are codes sent in email. Maybe someone with recent redemption can confirm if Mypoints has switched Amazon GCs from e-certs to plastic GCs.

Originally Posted by Ritz (Post 11370718)
As for the MyPoints redemption - mine took quite bit longer than I thought it would. Something like over a month. It seems all the MyPoints GC's now take a lot longer then they used to (used to be like 10 days and you had your reward).

As confirmed earlier in the thread - its now a code via snail mail - and took over 1 month to receive.

pistonsdc Mar 12, 2009 10:14 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf (Post 11374518)
In general, I find Amazon GCs the best of any GCs out there. Not only can you bankroll a number of them online, but Amazon just has such a huge selection of items for sale it's almost unbelievable.

I'm a big fan of Amazon myself. Other than Mypoints, where else can you earn them online?

cepheid Mar 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by pistonsdc (Post 11403393)
I'm a big fan of Amazon myself. Other than Mypoints, where else can you earn them online?

Memolink, for one. You can also earn them through various survey sites. If you have orphan loyalty points that are otherwise useless, you can also use points.com to convert them to Amazon cards (although the exchange rate is, obviously, horrendous).

KathyWdrf Mar 13, 2009 6:13 am

Originally Posted by pistonsdc (Post 11403393)

You can exchange Starwood points for Amazon GCs, but it's not a very good use of points. You get a redemption value of about 1 cent per Starpoint, but if redeeming Starpoints for hotel stays, it's more like a redemption value of 2.5 cents per point or better.