FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   S.P.A.M. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m-2/)
-   -   Redeem MyPoints for United miles - Help :(!!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m/891960-redeem-mypoints-united-miles-help.html)

Greenforest Nov 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Redeem MyPoints for United miles - Help :(!!!

I've finally collected enough points (>5000) to do my first redemption for United miles but MyPoints did not allow me to since it said that my United Mileage Plus number is already associated with another account. Unfortunately, what it said is true :( - There was a promotion a month back from United when I just needed to sign up for a new account with MyPoints and would automatically get 500 miles - I signed up and received the miles but then stopped using that account since I had already collected more than 4000 in the other account. I canceled the new account (with 0 points) hoping that it would let me redeem points for miles with the other account but apparently it did not. Any thoughts?

Cheapskate Travels Nov 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Well, you can't push it. You are violating mypoints t&cs if you have 2 accounts under the same name. They flag/close accounts all the time, sometimes just for referring too many people, and often ask for corroborating information such as a photocopy of a driver's license just to keep your account open if they are even remotely suspicious.

Honestly, if it were me, I would redeem asap for something else that I could use, even if it wasn't my first choice, just to get something of value, in case your account is reviewed.

A slightly riskier route would be to open up a new UA account, try to x-fer the mypoints to that account, then consolidate your UA accounts, but there are more points along that path that could get you into trouble and are just a plain hassle.

One thing to remember is that at one time mypoints was owned by UA, so who knows how much of their information may still be shared...

Marathon Man Nov 24, 2008 3:37 am

how true that is, and even if you could do consolidations or explanations, MyPoints is hard enough to get a hold of. I mean you could try to say you did not mean it and could MyPoints please just merge the two, or can UA, but this could be too much hassle.

You are seeking what, about 1,000UA miles?
Why not use the MyPoints points you do have to get a gift card for some store your friend likes and in return have that person transfer you miles from their UA account? There will be fees but it may not be so bad in the end.

I dunno, just a though.
:)MM

gleff Nov 24, 2008 4:13 am

I'm going to move this thread to the S.P.A.M. forum, home to discussions of online sites with their own proprietary points and 'alternative miles'.

Best,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator

Marathon Man Nov 24, 2008 4:14 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 10803254)
I'm going to move this thread to the S.P.A.M. forum, home to discussions of online sites with their own proprietary points and 'alternative miles'.

Best,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator

"proprietary points and alternative miles" sounds like a band name! :D

lin821 Nov 24, 2008 4:30 am

No "Recycled" MP Account & No Cross-Transfer from Mypoints to UA Either

To the best my my knowledge, once a Mileage Plus account is associated with a Mypoints account, there's no way to un-attach it. Even if you choose to close the Mypoints account, their system doesn't allow you to "recycle" the once-registered Mileage Plus account to another Mypoints account.

That's also why you can't redeem from multiple Mypoints accounts to one UA account. Read the recent discussion here.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 10803182)
You are seeking what, about 1,000UA miles?

FYI. There's no 1000 UA miles increment redemption from Mypoints. You can only choose between 2500 miles (5K points) or 5000 miles (10K points) increments.

TrojanHorse Nov 24, 2008 4:52 am

just curious, is this 5000 MP transfer (for 2500 UA Miles) a one time thing or can you do it multiple times?

Marathon Man Nov 24, 2008 4:56 am

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 10803278)
FYI. There's no 1000 UA miles increment redemption from Mypoints. You can only choose between 2500 miles (5K points) or 5000 miles (10K points) increments.

true. I just dunno all the MP awards.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 10803314)
just curious, is this 5000 MP transfer (for 2500 UA Miles) a one time thing or can you do it multiple times?

Every time you reach whatever level of MP points you have, I believe you could exchange them for anything any amount of times./