How to change e-Rewards program sponsors

Subscribe
Recently, American Airlines announced they were dropped out of the E-Rewards program. Since I have no other use for any of the other rewards offered besides AA, I have decided to go with uPromise and earn up to $50/quarter towards my student loans. I don't have access to UPromise on my account since I signed up via AA, so I contacted CS on how to change program sponsors and this was their reply:

Quote:
Sent: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 07:46:41 Pacific Daylight Time
To: majikTib
Subject: RE: e-Rewards Feedback - Suggestion or Comment

Good day,

Thank you for contacting e-rewards.

We apologize for the confusion. As far as redeeming Upromise savings is concerned, your current account does not allow you to redeem Upromise savings. Only members who enrolled to our program through Upromise are eligible to redeem Upromise savings.

In case you are more interested in redeeming Upromise savings, we will require that you cancel your current account and forfeit all earned points on it, then open a new account through Upromise using a different email address, not this same one. Please keep in mind that E-rewards require one account per member.

But before you do that please understand that once you enroll through Upromise, the only reward available to you for redemption is Upromise savings, NOTHING ELSE.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Olga Habia

Member Services
Essentially, they require you to cancel your account and forfeit any unused dollars, then open a second account WITH A DIFFERENT E-MAIL ADDRESS. Since I would prefer to keep the rewards e-mails coming to my primary personal e-mail address, I'm going to see if I can avoid this by changing my current account to my secondary e-mail address before cancelling.

I thought others may be interested in how to change program sponsors as well, since that often determines what redemptions are available.
Or, just open a new e-mail account with gmail, say, and then set-up e-mail forwarding from that account to your primary account.
I don't know how close you are to a reward, but you can try to redeem for an award of some sort before closing your account. Alternatively, you can try to trade on CC by doing a redemption for one of your available options for someone.
The other catch to getting a new account is there has to be a 'window' in which they are taking new signups. I tried to sign my son up in his e-mail account but when I went to the e-rewards website to 'request an invitation' I was told that they were not sending out any new invitations. But then I received one from NW (I'm locked in with DL miles from day one) so I used that to sign him up!

It really stinks that they will not allow you to 'switch' when your primary earning partner drops out. But with the merger coming I guess I'll be back to taking the DL miles next year. Can't burn the HHonors points each quarter and the balance keeps creeping up although the frequency of surveys has dropped off lately.
If you honestly think the email is an issue, do this:

1) Change the email address in your e-rewards profile
2) Close the e-rewards account
3) Open the new e-rewards account with your preferred address
ultimately, that's what I did. I just changed the e-mail address in My Profile (which also changes login) then cancelled. To cancel, just go to your profile and they have a link to cancel the membership. I only had 20 cents in my account since I just redeemed an AA reward.

I signed up with my preferred e-mail address after changing it in my profile.

I really just wanted to keep my account, just change my sponsor, because I receive quite a few rewards offers and wanted to make sure everything carried over, all the preferences and survey criteria so I would keep getting the offers. Oh well, I'm with uPromise now, and earned $4 just for filling out the profile info.
Cancel then Re-Signup May Not Work...
Quote: ultimately, that's what I did. I just changed the e-mail address in My Profile (which also changes login) then cancelled.

I signed up with my preferred e-mail address after changing it in my profile....
I'm with uPromise now, and earned $4 just for filling out the profile info.
Glad it worked for you. You are lucky that your "new" enrollment was approved. Did you use the invite from uPromise?

FWIW, your scenario may not work for everyone. If you have read the other threads on e-Rewards (the Delta redemption only...etc), you would know that, after cancelling their e-Reward accounts, folks got turned down by the new self-chosen sponsors (such as AA) earlier this year. Some used the targetted invites they received in their email but still got turned down.

I believe the chosen sponsors and members personal profiles both play big roles in the acceptance decision. Unless you are so sure your demographics and profiles fit e-Rewards perfectly, don't go ahead and cancel the current accounts. You may not be able to get back in.
/\ /\ Good point - very valuable information. /\

I signed up through my uPromise login. I don't know if that constitutes a referral or invitation but it said I would receive $2 for signing up.

CS stressed that only one account is permitted per person, but it seems to be determined in the system by e-mail address. It seems doubtful they'd catch multiple accounts as long as it has a different e-mail address. I followed the procedures as provided by CS and it worked, but maybe they were already aware that uPromise wasn't turning anybody away.