Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

The annual tax software discounts thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The annual tax software discounts thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by bobunf
To me sticking with TurboTax this year is really questionable regardless of Southwest points. Anybody with Schedule C, D, E, F or K-1s is almost forced into Premier. Which may have a rebate this year, but next year you're going to looking at the full bore.
It's even worse that that. I use those schedules, so ordered Premier. But it turns out that if you have virtually anything to enter into Sch. C, even Premier no longer works. You are forced to still higher Home and Small Business.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bobunf
And I really worry that next year Intuit will have it fixed so that you can't import prior year's data to a different tax program.
You are entitled to that opinion, but it is without any basis whatsoever. There is a history of being able transfer data between the programs for as long as I can remember. If this is something they wanted to cut off they could have done it long ago, as TaxCut is consistently cheaper by $10 or so.

Originally Posted by Drummer
It's even worse that that. I use those schedules, so ordered Premier. But it turns out that if you have virtually anything to enter into Sch. C, even Premier no longer works. You are forced to still higher Home and Small Business.
Not to defend TTT, but I had no trouble entering transactions on Sch C in Premier this year.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Nonsense. I've bought Premier (+state) for the better part of a decade now and it has always been $50-55. Just look for the Sams Club, Walmart, Costco, and Amazon offers.
+1 I just paid $44 for Premier, and will receive $25 back via the rebate to former Deluxe customers, so the price is not an issue for me (at least this year).
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:24 am

Rebate?

Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 I just paid $44 for Premier, and will receive $25 back via the rebate to former Deluxe customers, so the price is not an issue for me (at least this year).
Apologies if I missed something in this thread but where did you secure the "former Deluxe customers" $25 rebate?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by yamonjon
Apologies if I missed something in this thread but where did you secure the "former Deluxe customers" $25 rebate?
Here is the e mail they sent me as a former Turbotax Deluxe user. This combined with the Costco pricing, makes things much more palatable.

Dear XXX,

We messed up. We made a change this year to TurboTax desktop software and we didn't do enough to communicate this change to you as proactively and broadly as we could or should have. I am very sorry for the anger and frustration we may have caused you.
Intuit has a long history of doing right by our customers, and in this instance, we did not live up to the standards of excellence you have come to expect from us. We did not handle this change in a manner that respected our loyal customers and we owe you an explanation of what we are doing to make it right.

The change we made to our desktop products, both the download and CD versions, includes removing Schedules C, D, E and F from TurboTax Deluxe, which some long-time customers had relied on to report business income, investment sales and rental property income. As a result, you may now be required to upgrade the version of TurboTax you use even though your tax situation hasn't changed from last year.
Here's why we made the change. Over the years, we have worked hard to make it easy for you to choose the TurboTax product that is right for you and your unique tax situation. We want that choice to be clear and confidence inspiring. However, as new online and mobile technologies emerged, our products, and the tax scope and features they included, began to differ, leading to customer confusion. These differences also impeded our ability to introduce new innovations across our entire product line.
So this year, we made the product experience consistent across all TurboTax offerings. This change enables us to innovate faster and make improvements that benefit all customers at the same time, regardless of whether they use our online or desktop software. You can be sure that we've preserved what's unique to our desktop product: the ability to e-file up to five returns, switch to forms mode and install the software on multiple computers. Find the TurboTax product that's right for you.
But good intent must be matched with great execution, and that is where we let you down. We have heard from many of you that you were surprised when you discovered the change. No one likes this kind of a surprise, so we are taking immediate action to make things right and help you through this transition year.
We are giving $25 back if you purchased TurboTax Deluxe desktop software (CD or download) and filed your 2013 tax return and have to upgrade to TurboTax Premier or Home & Business to file your 2014 return. This will help you move to the right desktop product, while reducing the immediate and unexpected financial impact. After completing and filing your return this year, request your $25 here.
I deeply regret the anger and distress we have caused those of you affected by this change. Our customers are the heartbeat of every TurboTax employee. Our hope is that we can regain your trust and demonstrate that our commitment to you has never been stronger.
Sincerely,
Sasan Goodarzi and the TurboTax Team
General Manager, Intuit TurboTax
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not to defend TTT, but I had no trouble entering transactions on Sch C in Premier this year.
This is interesting, as the comparison chart on their own web site strongly implies that this is not possible. For the items
-Supports small business income and expense reporting (Schedule C)
-Maximizes business tax deductions and depreciation (Schedule C)
only Home&Business indicates Yes. The chart is here:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal.../?view=desktop

[Possibly Premier supports very simple Sch. C things, but not everything. Otherwise, for who knows what reason, they're lying about their own product.]
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Drummer
This is interesting, as the comparison chart on their own web site strongly implies that this is not possible. For the items
-Supports small business income and expense reporting (Schedule C)
-Maximizes business tax deductions and depreciation (Schedule C)
only Home&Business indicates Yes. The chart is here:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal.../?view=desktop

[Possibly Premier supports very simple Sch. C things, but not everything. Otherwise, for who knows what reason, they're lying about their own product.]
My mistake, it was Schedule D (cap gains and losses from stock trades) not Schedule C, no small business here!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:10 am

Bumping this - I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything for TaxACT lately?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Tax Software for 2015 reporting

Saw the first deal on H&R Block this weekend at Target. Regular price but with a $5 gift card.

Seems like it is starting a little slow this year. The Sunday circulars were packed with options last year and wound up taking advantage of Best Buy's offer of a $10 gift card and free DVD. The only offer I got was the mentioned Target.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe use as baseline the current Amazon and Costco online prices for TurboTax (all fed/1 state/fed e-file included) which purport to be $10-15 off list:

Home&Bus: $64.85
Premier: $54.85
Deluxe: $39.85

Unfortunately I don't think it will be as cheap as last year when Intuit send an email offering 50% off list for downloads, that could be stacked with a $25 "apology" rebate - net cost ended up being around $10-15!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
So weekend of Jan 9\10 had no advertisements in the Sunday circulars and the only big retailer offering a bones was Target with the same $5 giftcard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.