Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

FREE Pre-Paid Green Dot MC or Visa Card @ Rite Aid

Old May 24, 2007, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

This is good Friday, May 25 thru Thursday, May 31 in California and Nevada. For the rest of the nation this deal is from Sunday, May 27 thru Saturday, June 2.

In store price is $9.95 less In-ad coupon for $5 off + Rite Aid Single Check Rebate which can be submitted online at www.riteaid.com for $4.95 = FREE. Limit ONE per household (for the $4.95 rebate). That's not one MasterCard and one Visa, that's ONE period.

Coupon, in my circular, is on page 7, bottom right hand corner along with photo products.

Someone with more knowledge of these cards than me (which is near none) will have to post the grace period of no fees. I have read on this board the MasterCard is not as good as the Visa as far as fees. But someone please post when the fees (and how much) start for each.

How much can you load on them (minimum/maximum)? Are they reloadable?
Old May 24, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: yes
"Free" M/C only in stores, not online

You may find and add this 'free' mastercard to a shopping list only IME; any attempt to login takes you to drugstore.com, where the item does not exist. Thus, it appears available only for those that can visit a Rite Aid store within the time frame.

Also, after reading OP and the ad at riteaid.com, I still do not know what the dollar value of the card is ($10?; $5?; The same as 100 shares of Enron?).

I think this is a great deal at free no matter what it is, but I won't be near a Rite Aid during the valid dates.

Thanks, CalItalian for a great deal- sorry it doesn't meet my travel plans!
Old May 24, 2007, 7:01 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by bobsgt
Also, after reading OP and the ad at riteaid.com, I still do not know what the dollar value of the card is ($10?; $5?; The same as 100 shares of Enron?).
The same as 100 shares of Enron, unless you elect to actually add money to the card. You're getting a worthless piece of plastic unless you decide you need a prepaid MC/Visa and determine how much you'd like to load to it.
Old May 24, 2007, 7:09 pm

Programs: yes
Free card worth what you paid for it

If xanthuos' research is true, then so is the old adage "you get what you paid for".

(Cheers to Nashville)
Old May 24, 2007, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bobsgt
You may find and add this 'free' mastercard to a shopping list only IME; any attempt to login takes you to drugstore.com, where the item does not exist. Thus, it appears available only for those that can visit a Rite Aid store within the time frame.

I think this is a great deal at free no matter what it is, but I won't be near a Rite Aid during the valid dates.

Thanks, CalItalian for a great deal- sorry it doesn't meet my travel plans!
Yes it only in-store. I thought I made that clear from my first post on this. The cost of the MC or Visa (Gift) CARD is $9.95 (it has no loaded value...you have to select an amount). The Rite Aid in-ad coupon gives you $5 off. You pay $4.95 for it at the register. Then submit for your "Single Check Rebate" from Rite Aid ONLINE and you will get a check in the snail-mail for $4.95 back. I've done Single Check Rebates many times and it's easy but YOU MUST keep your Rite Aid receipt to submit it online.

There seems to be a fair share of people on FT who like to use these cards to reserve rooms or pay for possibly shaky deals. So it is a good deal to get the card FOR FREE - as they do cost this one $9.95 normally - and then load what ($$$) you want on it.

Last edited by CalItalian; May 24, 2007 at 8:02 pm
Old May 25, 2007, 5:09 pm

More of the story - - -

I bought one of these today (on my milage-card, of course):

At the store, you pay $9.95 for the 'activation fee', plus whatever value ($20-min / $500-max) you want loaded. The coupon scan takes off $5; the rebate thingy makes it 'free'.
You'll leave the store with a serial-numbered cardboard folder, do the online/phone-in activation, then wait a week or so for them mail you the plastic card.

While you're waiting, the fine print sez: "A $4.95 monthly maintenance fee will be collected beginning on the earlier of (a) when you activate the Card or (b) 90 days from the date of purchase, except where prohibited by law."

Sounds like my $20 pre-load will arrive as a $15.05 pumpkin
Upside -- it's another 'iDine placeholder' number
Old May 25, 2007, 8:30 pm

Thanks for posting OP! Will be using this.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Looks like I missed this by date and the fact I was not in CA or NV anyway, but for future reference...

I assume this shows up as a purchase and not cash advance? In that case I would purchase $500 on my Amex Blue Cash which pays back 5% ($25) and then use it for payments that I cannot make with Amex. Probably not worth the hassle for a net of $20, but could come in handy.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: , AA Plat 2MM, FB Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tev9999
Looks like I missed this by date and the fact I was not in CA or NV anyway, but for future reference...

I assume this shows up as a purchase and not cash advance? In that case I would purchase $500 on my Amex Blue Cash which pays back 5% ($25) and then use it for payments that I cannot make with Amex. Probably not worth the hassle for a net of $20, but could come in handy.
It will show up as a purchase, but most stores now refuse to accept any credit cards for a Green Dot product (cash only). Rite Aid, apparantly, lost quite some money from scammers reporting their credit card stolen right after they bought and cashed out one of these Green Dot cards : Rite Aid doesn't check ID when you purchase by credit card, so it is easy for scammers to just sign a bogus signature and then later claim it isn't their signature.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.