Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

e-rewards expiration policy is rediculous

e-rewards expiration policy is rediculous

Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Thumbs down e-rewards expiration policy is rediculous

SO this policy is rediculous. You have to spend the "money" you earned say on June 29th within a month, and often there are many things you don't want or have restrictions as to how often you can redeem....

It's such a waste of your time!!

Thank you for contacting e-Rewards. We apologize for the confusion.The way our points expiration works is 75% of your rewards that youearned prior to June 30 will expire on August 1. No matter how manypoints you redeem, if there is a remaining balance that was earned priorto June 30, 75% of that remaining balance will expire. To preventyourself from having expiring points on August 1, it is necessary toredeem all of your points that were earned prior to June 30. Please let me know if you having any additional questions at allregarding our expiration policy!

-I had $61.20 expiring 8/1/06. I just redeemed $50 and now the expiringamount is now $31.20. Why was the non-expiring amount used firstinstead of the expiring amount? Please make a correction and advise.Thanks and hope you had a good holiday weekend.-
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Angry

I like how they have you fill out all of these surveys before they tell you that you don't qualify and will on get <$0.99. NOT!
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
agree with above. e-rewards is a waste of your time.

period.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I gave up on it when they cut the mileage on the AA rewards in half, and told me it was for my benefit.

Yeah, it's great having to earn twice as much to get the same number of miles
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
SO this policy is rediculous. You have to spend the "money" you earned say on June 29th within a month, and often there are many things you don't want or have restrictions as to how often you can redeem....

I agree, but this topic has been discussed a few zillion times on this forum. I guess you haven't been an e-rewards member very long or didn't read their T&Cs or any of the existing threads. The first year I was a member of e-rewards (a few years ago) I was blindsided by this rule as well. I agree, it sucks.

However, I stuck with the program simply because every so often, I get a few thousand HHonors points out of it.

And sometimes they even postpone or waive the points expiration. Maybe if you e-mail back to them and request nicely, they will do it for you. @:-)
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Thank you for contacting e-Rewards. We apologize for the confusion.The way our points expiration works is 75% of your rewards that youearned prior to June 30 will expire on August 1. No matter how manypoints you redeem, if there is a remaining balance that was earned priorto June 30, 75% of that remaining balance will expire. To preventyourself from having expiring points on August 1, it is necessary toredeem all of your points that were earned prior to June 30. Please let me know if you having any additional questions at allregarding our expiration policy!

-I had $61.20 expiring 8/1/06. I just redeemed $50 and now the expiringamount is now $31.20. Why was the non-expiring amount used firstinstead of the expiring amount? Please make a correction and advise.Thanks and hope you had a good holiday weekend.-

What was their response to your question?

Every year they have me confirm my information and exempt my points from expiring.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by mvoight
What was their response to your question?
Clearly, the response was contained in what you quoted! @:-)

I.e.,

Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Clearly, the response was contained in what you quoted! @:-)

I.e.,
It didn't answer the question, since in my experience, the expiring points are the ones used first.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
It didn't answer the question, since in my experience, the expiring points are the ones used first.
Well, you don't really expect canned responses such as that to answer questions, do you?

But actually, they DID answer it, thus: "No matter how many points you redeem, if there is a remaining balance that was earned prior to June 30, 75% of that remaining balance will expire."

And this is in accordance with their T&Cs, last time I looked, anyhow. If expiring points are the ones used first, as you claim, this is the first I've heard of it! Besides, that would make too much sense and be too consumer-friendly. (Maybe you were just lucky.)
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:14 am

how are they a scam? you fill out surveys and receive e-reward dollars to use in merchandise or FF mileage in return. I've filled out over $400 in surveys and have to complement them on their service.

Read the T&C as always though
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by newportgambler
how are they a scam? you fill out surveys and receive e-reward dollars to use in merchandise or FF mileage in return. I've filled out over $400 in surveys and have to complement them on their service.

Read the T&C as always though
I agree. I have no probem with them. Some days they send up to 5 surveys. I've been redeeming e-rewards dollars the last month and they post within days. I think that's great.

Last year most of my e-rewards dollars expired and I asked for them to be reinstated. I had never redeemed anything previously. They did this without a problem with a one year extention.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
To clarify, which I thought was pretty clear in my OP, but:

I had $61.20 that was expiring.
I redeemed $50. That should leave $11.20 left to expire.

However, afterwards I still had $31.20 still expiring. THey used up "money" that wasn't suppose to expire until the next year first, leaving me with an extra $20 that I still have to burn...this doesn't seem to be fair at all....I don't know about all of you, but I drink the older milk first before it goes bad, rather than starting with the freshest carton....
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
I had $61.20 that was expiring.
I redeemed $50. That should leave $11.20 left to expire.

However, afterwards I still had $31.20 still expiring.
Are those numbers you're quoting accurate? Because if they are, they seem a bit strange. If you had $61.20 expiring, that would imply you had $81.60 remaining from the membership year. Subtract $50 = $31.60. So if $31.20 were actually still expiring, it seems like they took $40 from your points subject to expiration and $10 from elsewhere. If they had done it "right" (according to their rules as stated), you should have $23.70 expiring.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Oh, and see this recent thread on e-rewards rollovers:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=e-rewards
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I just redeemed $25 e-rewards for 500 Delta SkyMiles. About four months ago I redeemed $50 e-rewards for 1000 Hilton HHonors points.

I don't have any problems with them. It's a relatively painless process, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.