Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

should I get free credit report from mypoints-true credit 500 points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Got this email from my points to get my score with a free trial for 30 days from True Credit and I almsot did it for 500 points (I can cancel within 30 days) but chickened out whiel entering my DOB,SSN,etc. online.
I do want to get my free credit report from the agencies atleast once, I never did it until now. Do you think I can trust mypoints and True credit to give them my info or should I just forget 500 points and go to the free credit report website posted earlier to my report?
thanks

also, do not ever sign up with lifescripts from mypoints,under easy points for 10 points-its unbelievable amount of SPAM. I always unsubscribe after a couple of days...not sure if the points posted.need to check
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by missterious9
Got this email from my points to get my score with a free trial for 30 days from True Credit and I almsot did it for 500 points (I can cancel within 30 days) but chickened out whiel entering my DOB,SSN,etc. online.
I do want to get my free credit report from the agencies atleast once, I never did it until now. Do you think I can trust mypoints and True credit to give them my info or should I just forget 500 points and go to the free credit report website posted earlier to my report?
thanks
Personally, I wouldn't sign up with any (paid) companies to get the "free" credit reports - even though you can cancel during the trial period. The only one I have used is the official site (www.annualcreditreport.com - IIRC). You get the same information, and you can get it once a year from all 3 agencies.

What I do is request from agency A only, then 4 months later request from agency B only, then 4 months later request from agency C only, then 4 months later request from agency A only, etc... YMMV.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:17 am
Original Poster

thanks

Originally Posted by the_traveler
Personally, I wouldn't sign up with any (paid) companies to get the "free" credit reports - even though you can cancel during the trial period. The only one I have used is the official site (www.annualcreditreport.com - IIRC). You get the same information, and you can get it once a year from all 3 agencies.

What I do is request from agency A only, then 4 months later request from agency B only, then 4 months later request from agency C only, then 4 months later request from agency A only, etc... YMMV.

I will forget the 500points for security reasons
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:35 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=the_traveler]Personally, I wouldn't sign up with any (paid) companies to get the "free" credit reports QUOTE]

What is a FICO score-I got the definition from Equiffax but is it worth spending $8 to get with my free credit report? They said it gives useful info such as how much credit I can get, rate of interest,etc.

Imay need a loan soon and am checking on my credit report. Do you think I can make sense of the free credit report without spending the extra $8?
Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:22 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
".. FICO .. is it worth spending $8 to get with my free credit report? .."
Unlikely; the number can vary (widely) across the three agencies.

If you're on reasonable terms with your potential lender, it may not mean a thing anyway... I do some biznizz with a credit union that'll pull a complete report (and take the time to *honestly* evaluate/explain it!) for free.

/.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:56 pm

[QUOTE=missterious9]
Originally Posted by the_traveler
Personally, I wouldn't sign up with any (paid) companies to get the "free" credit reports QUOTE]

What is a FICO score-I got the definition from Equiffax but is it worth spending $8 to get with my free credit report? They said it gives useful info such as how much credit I can get, rate of interest,etc.

Imay need a loan soon and am checking on my credit report. Do you think I can make sense of the free credit report without spending the extra $8?
Thanks

Credit scores are pretty important if you are considering any credit based transaciton (home loan, car loan, credit cards etc.). FICO is the industry standard and most lenders will use that score to determine what interest rate you pay on any $ you borrow.

If you want your score I'd recommend signing up for the free 30 day trials that www.myfico.com has to get your score.

Also, remember credit score and credit report are totally different things. www.annualcreditreport.com will give you credit reports, but not scores. Scores are based on the info in those reports but having the report with out the score is kinda worthless...unless you are just making sure there are no mistakes.

Check out ==>FW<== for more information. But don't post there until you know what you are talking about or they'll tear you apart.

Edited to add https://www.creditmonitoring.citi.com/ is good for FAKO scores. Can get all three after signing up for their trial period.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:03 am
Original Poster

thanks

sounds like its harmless, even if not too useful, to get a credit score from annualcreditreports.com, one agency at a time, then get a FICO score through a free trial from one or both of the above agencies. I will try and see what it says.
thanks all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.