Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

mypoints emails have STOPPED coming in altogether

mypoints emails have STOPPED coming in altogether

Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Just to add my two cents, or points, as it were....

I continue to get a small but steady stream of MyPoints e-mails...probably three or four a day. I dutifully click on the ones that offer 5 points, but discard those sneaky ones that don't offer points but still try to generate webtraffic.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm sitting on 10,000 MyPoints right now. Has anyone done an analysis lately of the best value for redemption? I believe BlondeBomber did one a year or so ago, but that was before the different redemption levels. I guess I could do a search. Never mind.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 7:34 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Based on my past experience I would definitely try yet another email address if you're not receiving MyPoints emails.

Best way to rack up a lot of MyPoints for me seems to be Office Depot. I'm pretty bad about remembering to check portals like this before ordering online, but after getting 4000 points at once a couple times and 1000-2000 fairly easily just about every month (you can get that one only once a month) I do remember it for that.

I do click on all the 5-point emails, though. They add up too. For a long time that was the only way I earned points.

I just looked up my account, and amazingly it says I've been a member since 11/5/97! 8 years ago tomorrow. I had no idea it had even been around that long. No concept of long time periods anymore. Could be 4 years or 8, feels about the same....

Last edited by CrazyOne; Nov 4, 2005 at 7:38 am
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Best way to rack up a lot of MyPoints for me seems to be Office Depot. I'm pretty bad about remembering to check portals like this before ordering online, but after getting 4000 points at once a couple times and 1000-2000 fairly easily just about every month (you can get that one only once a month) I do remember it for that.
Actually, the Office Depot offer is good once daily now. I have racked up over 30,000 MyPoints since June with that offer (it helps that I also do all the office supply ordering for a small company). ^
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by doglover
I've been dutifully collecting my points and shipping them off to Hilton. About a month ago emails stopped coming in.

I've emailed mypoints twice to ask why but have yet to get a single response.

Anyone else run into this? My account still seems to be active as I can log in and check my balance and all.
I had this same problem a couple of months ago. I logged in to my account and discovered that somehow the "opt-in" box in my profile that should be checked for e-mails was unchecked. I don't believe that I unchecked it, but there it was. I checked the box again, and voila! The e-mails started coming again.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
Wow! I don't think I've ever gotten 8 in one day, but, mine are regular. My biggest complaint with MyPoints is the lack of follow-through when you buy through their portal. Each and every time, I've had to send in copies of invoices and bug'em to get my points. I eventually get the points, but, it's annoying to have to do the dance everytime.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
I checked in "edit profile". There is a box called "Allow marketing emails?". It is checked.

Thanks for the replies! I may try changing my email address to get back to receiving bonus mail. I may also try ordering from Office Depot. I did just make an order from entertainment.com. It is strange that I can't get anyone from myponts to respond to emails (both now and from months ago) to tell me why I am no longer receiving bonus mail.

I do appreciate the suggestions given!

Originally Posted by cassierose
I had this same problem a couple of months ago. I logged in to my account and discovered that somehow the "opt-in" box in my profile that should be checked for e-mails was unchecked. I don't believe that I unchecked it, but there it was. I checked the box again, and voila! The e-mails started coming again.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Well, this time I did get a timely answer! Not sure that it is really helpful as none of their emails is going to my spam folder - they are just not sent at all to me as far as I can tell.

"You may have noticed that you are receiving fewer BonusMails than you did prior to our new website launch. Because we have introduced new technology, we're ramping up the number of emails slowly in order to ensure the highest level of performance. Rest assured that BonusMail will be back to its normal levels shortly.

For some members, BonusMail is being inadvertently delivered to "bulk" and "spam" folders. In an era where non-solicited email has become increasingly burdensome to our members, we applaud the efforts of email providers to keep only the email that you want in your primary inbox. Unfortunately, when email is not immediately recognized as is the BonusMail from the new website we must allow the email filters to adapt to our new format."
Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by paradocs
.. It is strange that I can't get anyone from myponts to respond to emails (both now and from months ago) to tell me why I am no longer receiving bonus mail...I do appreciate the suggestions given!
Same thing happened to me after the launch of the new website. My other family members have been getting bonus mails regularly. In the mean time, I would only receive 1-2 bonus mails occasionally, even though I did have all the options checked under my profile. I made sure they were not in my bulk or jucnk folder at all. It used to be around 5-10 weekly. I didn't follow up with Mypoints about this "new" trend.

After reading this thread, (instead of changing my email address with Mypoints), I decided to add them again to my addressbook & safelist three nights ago. That's when I noticed the bonus mails now are from [email protected], not the old format @mpmlbx0X.mypoints.com. Right after I added the new address, I got 6 bonus mails within hours in one night. In the last three days, I received about 10 mails, which was more than what I had received in the previous month. I didn't do anything differently other than adding them to my safelist.

paradocs, maybe you can try it out and see if that will do the trick. At least it worked for me.

Last edited by lin821; Nov 5, 2005 at 9:09 pm
Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:53 pm
Original Member

lin821: Thanks for the idea! You may be on to something. Actually, the letter I quoted above went on to suggest that. It gave examples of Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN and AOL accounts. I use Microsoft Outlook. I went into my contacts and added mypoints.com with an email address of [email protected]. I presume if you can do that for a Yahoo accnt. you can do it for an Outlook one, right?

We'll see if it helps! Interesting to note that the two others in my family (who have mypoints accnts) have the same problem of receiving no emails.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:03 pm

Thanks!

Originally Posted by cassierose
Thanks for the help! I've had no emails for the last week and couldn't figure out why. I have been responding regularly up until they stopped 10/29. I also found my box unchecked, and have no idea how that happened, but hopefully now that I've corrected it, they will start coming again.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:30 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by paradocs
lin821: Thanks for the idea! You may be on to something. Actually, the letter I quoted above went on to suggest that. It gave examples of Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN and AOL accounts. I use Microsoft Outlook. I went into my contacts and added mypoints.com with an email address of [email protected]. I presume if you can do that for a Yahoo accnt. you can do it for an Outlook one, right?
Thanks for validating my suggestion. I am not sure which ISP you use for your email need and which account you signed up for Mypoints. I am not too techie but I will try my best here.

All the web-based email services now adopt spam filters, which means by default, any possible spam or junk mail is either 1) routed into the bulk/junk folder or 2) simply blocked via their central mail servers before it reaches the end user (meaning the user will never see it) unless the user requests otherwise. All the email accounts you'd mentioned (Yahoo, MSN...) are all web-based. When you "whitelist" Mypoints (such as [email protected]), the spam filter will then let it go through. I use web-based mail for Mypoints and that's why it worked for me.

You said you use Outlook. Microsoft Outlook is just one of the softwares/programs (or "tool") that people can use to retrieve/download emails. It is not your ISP and doesn't filter incoming mail by default. If you are not using any web-based email accoiunt, I am not sure it would be sufficient enough by adding mypoints to your addressbook. May I ask who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is? You have to clear with your ISP and see what kind of spam strategy they are using and how you can "whitelist" Mypoints. If they were using the #2 I had mentioed, it will be much trickier to unblock the possible spam. (Don't ask me how I knew about all of these though. ) I had the impression from your post that you are not receiving ANY bonus mail and am afraid your ISP is doing the #2 route to your bonus mail. Am I making sense to you?

That's the best I can do so far. If you need further assistance with this line of issue, you probably would have to try the Travel Technology forum. I learn quite a lot there.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Red face

Thanks all. I ruled out the SPAM filter option. All of my possible SPAM messages are sent to a special folder. I checked through there and no mypoints messages had been filtered away.

However, simply changing my email address worked.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:16 pm

Red face Back again!

Started receiving offers again today, but only 2. I probably wouldn't have figured out what was wrong without Flyertalk, so thanks to all who have posted on this thread!

When I went to check my account, I clicked on the email preferences link under my profile, but that was not the place where I found the unchecked box. It was at the beginning of viewing my entire account. I hope this helps someone else. By the way, I did check and already had bonusreply... in my address book. I certainly did not change my profile and uncheck the box, so I have no idea how it happened.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by vickiburton
My biggest complaint with MyPoints is the lack of follow-through when you buy through their portal. Each and every time, I've had to send in copies of invoices and bug'em to get my points. I eventually get the points, but, it's annoying to have to do the dance everytime.
I second that emotion. ^ After recently purchasing an Entertainment Book via MyPoints and not seeing it post for a month, I copied my confirmation and emailed MyPoints customer service and, to their credit, saw the 750 points post within 2 days. BUT in the emailed they sent back were a few hints to avoid this in the future, all of which I had done with the purchase. Maybe it's some vendors, as I've purchased Entertainment Books for the past 4 years running and only one of the transactions registered and posted autoomatically with MyPoints.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
MyPoints used to allow you to select plain text email. Now they send out everything in HTML, just like spammers. Of course that will mean that their mail gets detected as spam by more people. (... as well as being much larger.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.