DC Metro Smartrip card promo code?

Subscribe
So after having lived in DC for 4 years, I'm moving out to Alexandria, and I'll be using the metro a lot more. Anyone know a promo code for the smartrip card? I realize it's only $5, but I have a problem buying something that I can get for free.
I've had the Smartrip card for a few years now and I haven't heard of any discount/promo codes for initial purchase of the card. That's not to say that they don't exist, though
Check out the Washington DC Craigslist - people are always trading metro cards for pretty much anything. I've got no idea how they get them (maybe they are Metro employees stealing them?) but they're always available. Also, I think if you buy a 20.00 card, you automatically get 22.00 worth or something like that. Dollar value cards don't expire, but they can lose their magnetic readability as they get aged & unless you go to Metro Center to get the money transferred over to a new card, you're pretty much out the money on a card.

You can buy multiple day cards here: http://www.commuterpage.com/products.htm
I think they abolished the 10% bonus with last year's fare increase.

The only official promotion AFAICT is an associated Mastercard sweepstakes.
Quote: Check out the Washington DC Craigslist - people are always trading metro cards for pretty much anything. I've got no idea how they get them (maybe they are Metro employees stealing them?) but they're always available.
THey are probably Federal Employees who get a certain amount free as a benefit each month and they probably get more than they can use - I think its technically illegal to resell them, but that is my guess of the source.
As an ex fed employee, federal employees do not get
free cards. But many private companies and organizations in the metro area offers them to their employees at either free or deeply discounted rates.
Well, I'm a CURRENT Federal Employee...
and I get metro cards every month - I had a choice between that and free parking. Maybe the different branches or agencies are different.

anyway, again, you aren't supposed to sell them but some folks get more than they need.

Quote: free cards. But many private companies and organizations in the metro area offers them to their employees at either free or deeply discounted rates.
To clarify, the OP was asking about SmarTrip, not Metrocheks.