Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 12, 04, 4:51 pm   #16
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I figure: I'm going to do this stuff anyway, might as well use MyPoints merchants and earn points for it!
Granted. But IMHO there are much better (i.e. greater mileage earning) shopping portals than MyPoints.
cactuspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 04, 6:10 pm   #17

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
What are some of your favorites and why are they your favorites?
MeLike2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 04, 6:31 pm   #18
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 2.2 MM Concierge Key, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
Mypoints has been worth the effort for me. I click on the e-mails and once every month or two go to the web site and click on some links (or follow links in Flyertalk posts). Those Home Deport Gift Cards have been usefull in the past. Mypoints has been reliable and I knwo they send out the rewards. I am not interested in wasting my time on programs that won't pay or will be gone in a week. I have spent too much time on those - looking at banners, clicking, emailing etc. I try and stick with mileage opportunities, Upromise, Mypoints and getting great deals on things that I purchase already.
jsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 04, 9:08 am   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutt22
My new strategy with MyPoints, which I've had going for the last several months, is to place it on the back burner and do nothing that requires effort with it. To me, that means I'll open the e-mails, click to earn my 5 points, and that's it. Minimal trouble. I've found that'll probably get me 2,000 or 3,000 HHonors points a year, and that's worth it for me because I feel like I'm not actually doing anything. In the past, getting caught up in tracking what points posted and what didn't was such a hassle. I can't be troubled with such a poor use of my time anymore. But as a way to add a few points for free to my HHonors account, I like MyPoints. I just don't make it a priority and look at any points I get as a bonus.

This has been my strategy too, for about 30 seconds a day I have been earning about 3000 Hilton points a year.

Jay, aka 1095
JayBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 04, 1:32 pm   #20

jfe -

"at least they haven't gone bankrupt"

Well apparently, it was the least that they could do, so they did it.

http://www.pd-ual.com/Downloads/Join...nistration.pdf
dave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 04, 7:04 pm   #21

MyPoints

I just hit 1400 MyPoints in this cycle so now I can get a $10 gas card (WOW!). I was trying to hit this plateau to receive something for the effort, but It hardly seems worth it. I guess each of us has to evaluate if this exercise pays off sufficiently for the time involved.
Tenacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 04, 1:30 pm   #22

Programs: UA, AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious
I just hit 1400 MyPoints in this cycle so now I can get a $10 gas card (WOW!). I was trying to hit this plateau to receive something for the effort, but It hardly seems worth it. I guess each of us has to evaluate if this exercise pays off sufficiently for the time involved.

I echo that feeling.
I thought, as stated above, that I could get points by just doing 'nothing'. But opening the site, clicking on, etc for 5 points wound up taking more time than I expected. And now, like Tenacious, I hit 1400 points and realize it is NOT worth the effort for the pittance you can redeem them for.

I am going for 1500 and cashing out.
Old Apr 22, 04, 1:44 pm   #23

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
I gave up long ago...didn't even try to get something. Seems like E-rewards is the only program that makes it fairly easy to get something!
ExpoTrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 04, 1:50 pm   #24
kid

I do not do Mypoints or Erewards.
kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 04, 8:50 pm   #25

Easy Referral Strategy

I have heard (ahem) of people setting up many hotmail accounts and referring those people. When those people get 60 points I believe then the referrer get's 100 points.
Old Apr 23, 04, 8:12 am   #26

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99
jfe -

"at least they haven't gone bankrupt"

Well apparently, it was the least that they could do, so they did it.

http://www.pd-ual.com/Downloads/Join...nistration.pdf
Well, after browing the .pdf document, I am wondering what exactly does the document mean for mypoints?

I've managed to accumulate quite alot of mypoints by taking advantage of bonus purchase opportunities, etc. and don't spend as much time doing the 5-point clicking as I should/could...
SharonLPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 04, 2:16 am   #27

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
hafta say I LIKE mypoints. Signed up years ago and usually deleted the emails...then ONE day, i got an invitation from Hilton HHonors to upgrade to Gold for one year for free...well thank you! That year I booked my company's conferences into Hiltons, Doubletrees and Embassy Suites around the country...the boss was irked when I got to use the gym for free and had comp upgrades to the concierge level, but it was fun...Now that I am older and wiser, i get those perks built into the contract for me AND the boss, but I also continue to earn the Hiltonpoints...including regular meeting planner bonuses (who knew)....all thanks to My points! And even better - the hilton honors program led me to a temporary upgrade to silver elite on NW/CO, which may not be much to you guys who are ALL metal ALL the time, but it sure warmed the cockles of my poor little heart to be upgraded to first class on 8 out of the 12 flights I took during that time!! all goes back to myppoints!

OTOH....I only have about 4K worth of mypoints..mostly reading email, signing up for samples, Office Depot, referring a friend or two...i do pretty well on the HH now with work, so I think i will cash the mypoints in on Starbucks cards rather than anything else - ...i am gonna drink the coffee anyway, might as well be for "free."
ITravelThereforeIam is offline   Reply With Quote