Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Mystery Shopping - Anyone Do This?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mystery Shopping - Anyone Do This?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I've done many different types of mystery shops at hotels, restaurants, retail, banks, on the phone, auto service and other scenarios. As long as you are prompt and stick to the guidelines, you'll get paid and reimbursed. It's a great way to make some extra money and points by using your credit cards, but you won't make a living doing this, at least not a good one.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Any luck getting assigned to mystery shop at grocery stores? Would love to be reimbursed for what I spend there weekly.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:40 pm

Trendsource does Kroger. I did a few when they bonus them, the regular pay is sad for what you need to accomplish.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Grocery stores generally mystery shop internally. As a non-customer-facing administrative employee, they've sent me as a mystery shopper at other locations within my company. I didn't get paid for anything beyond my regular wages and travel mileage reimbursement, and I didn't get to keep anything I shopped for (the items were added to my location's inventory and put on the shelf if it's a non-perishable product). I just had to fill out a short survey which gets submitted to the district manager.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Market Force has (at least last time I checked they did) grocery store mystery shops; i didn't do them because they were too far from where I live and I didn't want to trek all the way there, so I don't know how they do reimbursements, but it is possible.

I've only had one report denied and it's because i had a super crappy photo (it was right before I got a new phone and my old one's camera had completely given out, so I knew I was taking a risk).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've not had reports denied, although I did have one grudgingly accepted, after I forgot a photo.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Thanks. Just signed up. Pretty limited opportunities in Seattle, it appears, but I'm not going to turn down someone else picking up the tab in exchange for my thoughts on the place.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:07 pm

Check out the iSecretShop app. They have a lot of restaurant and alcohol compliance shops. The restaurant shops are great--usually require two entrees, an app or dessert, and an alcoholic beverage. Nice to get a ~$50 meal for free, plus a cash bonus.

Publix (grocery store in the south) used to have a lot of $17 grocery shops. Those were nice. Forgot which company that was.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I just received 2 checks yesterday from mystery shopping companies. One was for a meal, one for retail visits. I'm waiting on a nice chunk from another company via PayPal, later this month.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by JeffH1
Check out the iSecretShop app. They have a lot of restaurant and alcohol compliance shops. The restaurant shops are great--usually require two entrees, an app or dessert, and an alcoholic beverage. Nice to get a ~$50 meal for free, plus a cash bonus.

Publix (grocery store in the south) used to have a lot of $17 grocery shops. Those were nice. Forgot which company that was.
Thanks! I just signed up for this one and it looks great.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I just signed up for isecretshop as well. Read the reviews in the app store. This app aggregates a lot of small companies that do secrete shopping, and some of the reviews seem to state that some of these companies are less than honest, so be careful!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to do a lot of mystery shopping...restaurants, retail, apartment rentals, movie theaters, etc.
Yeah, you get some free meals (the best was $150 lunch at Neiman Marcus) and some other freebies but it can also be a lot of work. Some of them have a minimum number of words for the narrative part of the report & can take a few hours to complete. The apartment ones were also lengthy. Too much of a time suck with too little in return IMO.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:39 am

I used to do mystery shops at the Cheesecake Factory until MysterGuest went out of business. Boy, do I miss my free monthly meals there. This were easy direct reports.

Coyle has great shops, but they take your guts out writing the evaluations. One dinner took me 4 (sorry four as they want the number written out) back and forth editings from them before it was accepted. Not worth the effort.

I have been getting paid to have my oil changed for the past 3 years with Bestmark. Since I use synthetic that's $75 plus the $40 for my time. Just wish they had more restaurant shops near me.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:41 am

Just got a shop notice, Regal Hospitality Group is doing Marriott hotels is anyone is interested.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I used to do mystery shops at the Cheesecake Factory until MysterGuest went out of business. Boy, do I miss my free monthly meals there. This were easy direct reports.

Coyle has great shops, but they take your guts out writing the evaluations. One dinner took me 4 (sorry four as they want the number written out) back and forth editings from them before it was accepted. Not worth the effort.

I have been getting paid to have my oil changed for the past 3 years with Bestmark. Since I use synthetic that's $75 plus the $40 for my time. Just wish they had more restaurant shops near me.
I used to do Cheesecake Factory as well but then they got really cheap about it and only paid for a small portion of the meal. it was costing me money to do the shop and they wanted detailed reports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.