Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Save on the price of Gasoline with Shell Gas station's Fuel Rewards Network program!

Save on the price of Gasoline with Shell Gas station's Fuel Rewards Network program!

Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I'm skeptical double-dipping (Fuel RN and Airline RN) would work, but registered my CC anyway.

Overall, I'm iffy on the whole prospect after getting rejected on my 'spin' discount at Shell during today's fill-up...but happy to try again and be pleasantly surprised.
I don't think double dipping will work. A local grocery chain (Giant) offers gas rewards (10 cents off/gallon for every 100 dollars spent) and you have to select either Shell Rewards or Giant Rewards before fueling up.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by gonz312
Originally Posted by whowong:19158560
Originally Posted by fungirl
I have many Shells in the area (Northern VA) but they have to be participating in the program. When I search on the website for those that participate, I get nothing within a 200 mile radius.
I get the same results in southern California. This doesn't help me at all...
Same thing showed up with nothing in my area, but when I was at a shell nearby, the pump prompted me to swipe my fuel rewards card if I had one. So I wouldnt put all my faith in what the website shows.
Ok I'll try it when I get the card. Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jmsfla2002
I don't think double dipping will work. A local grocery chain (Giant) offers gas rewards (10 cents off/gallon for every 100 dollars spent) and you have to select either Shell Rewards or Giant Rewards before fueling up.
By double dipping, it referenced using a credit card for dining that is registered wtih both FRN and an airline dining program.

One of our local grocery stores partners with Sheetz to redeem gas rewards there. Sheetz has signs posted, encouraging those redeeming gas rewards to swipe the grocery card first, then also swipe their My Sheetz Card to maximize savings.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
No Double Dipping

Originally Posted by kipper
By double dipping, it referenced using a credit card for dining that is registered wtih both FRN and an airline dining program.
"You recently registered a credit or debit card you had previously registered with AAdvantage DiningSM in another dining program operated by Rewards NetworkSM. Credit and debit cards can only be registered in one dining program run by Rewards Network at a time. As a result, you will no longer earn rewards through AAdvantage DiningSM when you dine and pay with this card. Instead, you will earn rewards through the new program you moved the card to."

...so choose wisely (which for me means sticking with Dining Rewards and my targeted AA 1k bonus for each $250 of restaurant bills)

And because it appears you can't stack grocery (Kroger, Safeway, etc) cards and the Shell RN card, I think the Shell RN will be 1 and done. (Not to mention Shell is much more expensive than just about every other local place...)
Old Nov 3, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
I just received an e-mail for an extra $0.10 off with a partner transaction. There is no limit notated, so I would assume that $1 in the online mall or at a participating restaurant would count.

T&C
Offer only valid on your first qualifying purchase transaction. You will not earn the special 10˘/gal limited time offer on each additional purchase after the first qualifying purchase transaction but on the first qualifying purchase transaction that is made. For example, if your first qualifying purchase transaction is a $25 spend through the Dining program, you will be awarded the special 10˘/gal limited time offer for that qualifying Dining purchase transaction and would no longer be eligible to earn the special 10˘/gal limited offer for any additional qualifying Dining programs or on any other transactions through other FRN™ programs such as the Online Mall, Dining, eCoupons, Shell® Fuel Rewards® or Participant programs.

Offer only valid for those FRN™ Members who registered for an FRN™ Account through a gaming site like Farm Ville, Car Town, etc. or Spin to Save and who have a physical FRN™ Card linked to their account. Anyone who signed up for an FRN™ Account indicating that they would pick up an FRN™ Card later must have picked up an FRN™ Card and linked it to their FRN™ Account to qualify for the special 10˘/gal limited time offer.

Offer ends November 30, 2012. Qualifying purchase transaction must be made on or before 11:59:59 PM local time on November 30, 2012 to earn the 10˘/gal reward.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:42 pm

It works, but...

...not really worthwhile. Redeemed $0.50 / gal today (dining bonus + initial spin). A whopping $8.00 on $100 of purchases.

I plan to cash in on the $0.10 bonus (exp. 30 NOV), get the 2x bonus (exp. 31 DEC), and then leave the FRN card at home. There's only one place giving the 2x bonus in the entire DC Beltway, making it less than convenient.

Overall, FRN is lot of work for little return. Better to just find a cheaper place to get gas, even if it means driving around.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:17 pm

or

If you have Krogers around buy $50 shell giftcards that are always worth 2X kroger fuel points. shell will give you 10 cents a gal off if you enter your kroger card or kroger id (phone number) before the giftcard.
Shell is usually higher unless they are close to a major competitor, then they can be just as cheap as everyone else.

Last edited by wise2u; Nov 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm Reason: added id
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by wise2u
If you have Krogers around buy $50 shell giftcards that are always worth 2X kroger fuel points. shell will give you 10 cents a gal off if you enter your kroger card or kroger id (phone number) before the giftcard.
Shell is usually higher unless they are close to a major competitor, then they can be just as cheap as everyone else.
Good tip, but these days, even with 4x grocery store points on GC (current offer at Safeway), Costco gas is cheaper.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:29 am

Our local Shell, which hadn't been a participating station now is. It's typically the same price as competitors, in a band of the lowest priced stations. FWIW, you save $0.03/gallon just for swiping your card, plus any discounts you have on the card additionally.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
Kroger is 4x fuel points through Dec 9. Loading up on Amazon, iTunes, and Shell GC's now!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:39 am

10c for me after 6 spins.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Managed to get $0.10.

Finally paying attention to this. My parents use Shell exclusively, so $0.03/gal is fine for them. I never use Shell around home, but I do sometimes when I'm traveling. I can swap the Shell FR card in for my normal Speedway/SuperAmerica loyalty card when I travel away from the Midwest and am renting a car.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:22 pm

Shell GC + FRN?

I could not combine a Shell GC + FRN discount at the pump, and the clerk had never seen a FRN card. Anyone crack the code?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Just picked up a card at local Shell station, even though it was not listed on the websites search for stations.

Finally got card registered.

3˘ off per gal this way;

But Smith's food & drug /Kroger offer up to $1 off/gal when you buy gift cards thru them. And yes, you can buy shell gift cards.

Last edited by Insulator-King; Dec 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Just picked up a card at local Shell station, even though it was not listed on the websites search for stations.

Finally got card registered.

3˘ off per gal this way;

But Smith's food & drug /Kroger offer up to $1 off/gal when you buy gift cards thru them. And yes, you can buy shell gift cards.
I would guess you can use your card and pay via gift card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.