Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 22, 12, 4:44 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Posts: 7,114
Test drive a car, get a gift card thread?

I see these happening lately at malls and dealerships here and there but I tend to miss it because lack of info when they're doing them.

Anyone know of any good sites which lists them or should we create a separate one here at FT solely about "test drive a car and get a gift card" thread?

Here's one for starters:

Test drive a 2012 Kia Optima by 3/31/2012 and get a $25 VISA gift card

Any more to share would be appreciated.
__________________
Wishing the US had more high-speed rail...
kebosabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 12, 2:27 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 1,761
Thanks...I used to do these all the time & sometimes they had $100 gift cards. I will do this one over the weekend....I usually tell the sales person not to waste their time on me & they just sign it anyway. I don't remember where I used to find them.
corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:12 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Posts: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Thanks...I used to do these all the time & sometimes they had $100 gift cards. I will do this one over the weekend....I usually tell the sales person not to waste their time on me & they just sign it anyway. I don't remember where I used to find them.
The last test drive for a gift card that I did was last September when I stumbled upon a test drive for a Fiat 500 at the Ontario Mills Mall. I had no prior knowledge that it was happening that day and I just happened to be at that mall that weekend. I got a $15 AMEX gift card from that which came in handy at the mall that day.

It'd be nice if there was a consolidated thread just for such test drive offers as these VISA/MC/AMEX gift cards can be used anywhere they're accepted, even to help pay for gas.
__________________
Wishing the US had more high-speed rail...
kebosabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 12, 4:34 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FAT, LHR
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG PLT, HYATT DIA, HILTON GLD
Posts: 6,433
Nice find. Now don't u all go drive to a dealer so far away, u spending $25 in gas to get there.
chanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 12, 5:04 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Posts: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanp View Post
Nice find. Now don't u all go drive to a dealer so far away, u spending $25 in gas to get there.
Luckily my nearest Kia dealer is about 15 min away from my workplace. I'm going there after work.
__________________
Wishing the US had more high-speed rail...
kebosabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 12, 5:28 am   #6
GGE
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BGM
Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Posts: 188
Just be careful.. I've heard too many stories of people having their credit report pulled just because they took a car for a test drive and the dealer asked to get a copy of their license first.. (I think this is ridiculous, personally.)

Hard inquiries have a dollar value to some people, so if they do to YOU, be sure you are getting a gift card with a value that makes it worth a possible hard pull.

I have told my husband in the past, regarding other credit issues, "if its only going to save me $100, forget it - it's not worth an Experian pull" ... but YMMV of course!
GGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 12, 6:06 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 23,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGE View Post
Just be careful.. I've heard too many stories of people having their credit report pulled just because they took a car for a test drive and the dealer asked to get a copy of their license first.. (I think this is ridiculous, personally.)

Hard inquiries have a dollar value to some people, so if they do to YOU, be sure you are getting a gift card with a value that makes it worth a possible hard pull.

I have told my husband in the past, regarding other credit issues, "if its only going to save me $100, forget it - it's not worth an Experian pull" ... but YMMV of course!
Most sales people, if you tell them up front that you're only there to get the gift card, will simply sign the form and let you be on the way. Any time they spend with you, on a test drive that won't do anything, is less time they have to potentially greet customers who are interested in buying a car.
__________________
The church is near but the road is icy, the bar is far but I will walk carefully”
--Russian Proverb
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 12, 6:14 am   #8
GGE
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BGM
Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Most sales people, if you tell them up front that you're only there to get the gift card, will simply sign the form and let you be on the way. Any time they spend with you, on a test drive that won't do anything, is less time they have to potentially greet customers who are interested in buying a car.
I suppose this is a valid point.

I'm not sure I'd let someone test drive a new car if they told me they were only doing it because they really, really wanted/needed a $15 gift card, but...

yeah.
GGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 12, 7:06 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 2,690
The last time I did something similar, at a Suzuki dealership, the salesman said they don't want people running up the mileage on their cars with a test drive if they're not interested in buying one.
Auto Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 8:12 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DTW
Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Posts: 920
Went to my local dealer on Saturday. Started to say to the sales person the "I am not currently in the market for a new card," and the salesperson immediately finished my statement: "... so you want your $25 ?". Tokk less than a minute to fill in the form.
drjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 8:16 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MKE
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Posts: 205
A friend of mine test drove a Ford and only a photocopy of the driver's license was needed. No credit report pulled.
tyfabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 12, 10:42 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Texas
Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Posts: 1,436
I did one the other day from Mazda. You test drive (or not as folks are saying) and they donate $25 to a kids reading program and you are entered in a sweepstakes to win a trip to Orlando for 4. Do this before April 2, 2012.

http://www.mazdatestdriveoffer.com/lorax
Frenchie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 6:53 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 23,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjazz View Post
Went to my local dealer on Saturday. Started to say to the sales person the "I am not currently in the market for a new card," and the salesperson immediately finished my statement: "... so you want your $25 ?". Tokk less than a minute to fill in the form.
I'm figuring that's how it'll be here.
__________________
The church is near but the road is icy, the bar is far but I will walk carefully”
--Russian Proverb
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:04 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scenic Great Plains USA
Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Posts: 677
I think thhere is a thread on fatwallet. Im on a tablet so hard to link.
__________________
Help the developing world with our Kiva Team!
My computer does Alzheimer's and cancer research in its sleep
MJLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 12, 9:15 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DTW
Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Posts: 920
Anyone receive their gift card?
drjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:24 am.