Ebay ending cash back June 16

Subscribe
Just an FYI, got this email from ebates today:

We are sorry to inform you that eBay is temporarily suspending cash back shopping with Ebates.com (and all other rewards-based programs) on June 16.

Because we know cash back is important to you, we want you to have the chance to make any eBay purchases by June 15 and still earn cash back from Ebates.

We plan to bring eBay back to Ebates.com by October 1 this year.

So get your purchases in!
There was mention of this on the MyPoints thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16499785-post209.html
I hope this isn't the reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...ates-scam.html
Quote: I hope this isn't the reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...ates-scam.html
It could be... eBay could be aware of the scam, and decided to suspend and then rework their programs to try to minimize that possibility.
seeing that Mypoints accrual will also end, I suppose this will affect all programs, although I haven't seen any communication ...
Yes, it's already gone from Marriott's mall.
Quote: Yes, it's already gone from Marriott's mall.
It ended yesterday. My guess is that Marriott pulled it early in the day.
Gone from Mr. Rebates with zero warning (made a purchase just a few hours ago).

At eBay’s request, in accord with a test they are currently conducting, cash-back rebates for eBay has been temporarily suspended. This means cash-back will not be available on Mr. Rebates (or any other site on the Internet) for any purchases made on eBay on or after 6/16/11.
While we are sorry for any short-term inconvenience this may cause you, we feel it is important for Mr. Rebates to be good partners to its merchants and advertisers in order to maintain the best long-term loyalty program available anywhere in the world.

We will let you know as soon eBay completes their internal test and eBay cash-back resumes at Mr. Rebates.

P.S. Supposedly Ebay is running a test through October 1st and might resume cashback after that.
Quote: Gone from Mr. Rebates with zero warning (made a purchase just a few hours ago).

At eBay’s request, in accord with a test they are currently conducting, cash-back rebates for eBay has been temporarily suspended. This means cash-back will not be available on Mr. Rebates (or any other site on the Internet) for any purchases made on eBay on or after 6/16/11.
While we are sorry for any short-term inconvenience this may cause you, we feel it is important for Mr. Rebates to be good partners to its merchants and advertisers in order to maintain the best long-term loyalty program available anywhere in the world.

We will let you know as soon eBay completes their internal test and eBay cash-back resumes at Mr. Rebates.

P.S. Supposedly Ebay is running a test through October 1st and might resume cashback after that.
Same issue for FatWallet Cashback, with the same reference of "We will let you know as soon eBay completes their internal test and eBay cash-back resumes."
I also got an email from Ebates about Ebay points ending.
Man this isn't good. Hopefully they come back, but there is a lot of money lost between now and October 1 if that is true.
Just a datapoint on the official reason they stopped it (though I agree it was probably to get a handle on the abuse out there)

Quote:
JJ McCarthy, head of eBay's U.S. Partner Network, explained that the move is only provisionary as the company reassesses the business value of its cash-back programs, noting that they could be reinstated once it crunches the numbers.

"One of the challenges associated with running a large-scale affiliate program is understanding the incremental value of each individual partnership," McCarthy said in an emailed statement. "In recent weeks, we have been studying our cashback and loyalty publisher segment in detail in order to feel more comfortable with the ROI we are receiving from those partnerships. After careful analysis and thorough internal debate, we decided that the only way to gain a definitive (quantified) understanding of the value of these partnerships is to conduct a "go dark" test.

"While we understand that administering such a test in the live environment will create hardship for our Loyalty partners and their users, we feel this is a necessary step in order for us to maintain our confidence in this marketing method. The goal of this exercise, in the end, is not to reach a binary decision between continue/discontinue this form of partnerships, but rather to quantify the incremental value of these partnerships and to price them properly so that we can all continue working together with full confidence going forward."
Well that makes reasonably good sense. I know if I was running ebay I would be extremely curious how much business is being driven by cashback motivated buyers. I know that almost ALL of my ebay purchases are motivated by cashback since they are based on a small percentage of arbitrage which cashback is a large part of.

Of course if sellers simply lower prices to keep sales going then ebay is the winner and sellers are the loser.
I wished one of my sites had warned me...well I'm glad I made my big purchase last month. Hope they bring it back, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't since eBay is counting every penny nowadays. The scammers also really ruin for everyone else.

Just to rant, I really hate what they did to My eBay.
I'm sure it is just a drop in the ocean, but if you want to help get it back you have to stop buying from eBay as much so it looks like the cash back programs had a positive net effect for their business. Yes, I realize someone else will just buy the item instead of you in most cases, but lower average prices should be accounted for. One person can't do much, but if a bunch of people, particularly in a single sector, stop bidding for months, the average price of specific goods should go down slightly.