Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 27, 14, 10:47 am   #916

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And we have an unannounced devaluation, what looks like across the board, or at least in the categories where I've paid attention. It's now 6100 MP for 2500 UA miles and 12000 MP for 5000 UA miles.
Wow, I believe this is the 3rd time in the last 2 years.
Saas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 14, 11:05 am   #917

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
I'm not happy when they raise the redemption rate either, but it really is no different than when a store or restaurant or hotel raises their price for something they sell. To be honest, I don't understand why people don't understand that this is to be expected and why they get so upset when it happens.

This program is a giveaway. Yes, you spend time, but the rewards are so small compared to the time you spend that you would not do it unless you had spare time to burn. It is not as if you could calculate that you are being rewarded for your time, because if you really looked at it that way, you surely would never do it.
JerryFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 14, 4:50 pm   #918

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
I'm not happy when they raise the redemption rate either, but it really is no different than when a store or restaurant or hotel raises their price for something they sell. To be honest, I don't understand why people don't understand that this is to be expected and why they get so upset when it happens.

This program is a giveaway. Yes, you spend time, but the rewards are so small compared to the time you spend that you would not do it unless you had spare time to burn. It is not as if you could calculate that you are being rewarded for your time, because if you really looked at it that way, you surely would never do it.
But a $50 gift card reward today cost $50 a few years ago. So it isn't costing them more for redemption. Perhaps their revenue per point is lower today than it was a few years ago since we can earn more points by buying inflation prices? We still only get 5 points per BonusMail read.

The new United redemption prices probably won't change our pattern given how we use those points on a specific route. The miles cost us about $0.007 per mile when getting them through MyPoints and we get about $0.06 when we redeem them. It works for us given the specific itinerary we fly that we use these miles for.

That doesn't mean I am happy with the increase. But we will continue on.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 14, 7:00 pm   #919

Programs: IHG Gold
And it's more than just surveys and e-mail click-through. I went through MyPoints instead of e-bates for more than $2500 worth of hotel bookings for this summer because I wanted the miles instead of the rebate. So I booked expecting to get X number of miles when I finish the trip in June, and now I'm not. There are other times when it's a choice between using MyPoints and Swagbucks as a shopping portal, and while I don't find SB's Southwest GCs as useful as miles in a more widespread program, SB has actually made redemptions cheaper in the past year and a half, not made them more expensive.
Old Mar 2, 14, 10:23 am   #920

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Four leaf clover

Here's a quick way to make up for some devaluations. If anyone finds the four leaf clover on the website each day, please post. Thanks. I will start looking today.
JerryFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 14, 11:28 am   #921

Programs: CC Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver, Alaska Airlines MVP, United Silver
They're still doing the four leaf clover thing?

Edit, I guess they are. Starting tomorrow

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Mar 2, 14 at 5:55 pm.
Mauibaby2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 14, 10:29 am   #922

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Great news fellow mypointers:

Purchase any participating Toilet Gel product OR Scrubbing Bubbles® Fresh Brush Starter Kit at a Walmart Store receive 1,000 Points. (Once)
Purchase a second Scrubbing Bubbles® product at a Walmart Store and receive a total of 2,000 Points.* (Once)

Hopefully we are able to double and triple dip like the past:-) fight the devaluation!
Old Mar 3, 14, 8:40 pm   #923

Shamrock

Today's shamrock is in coupons.com
Old Mar 4, 14, 3:07 pm   #924

Shamrock

Todays shamrock is in scrubbing bubbles
Old Mar 4, 14, 4:11 pm   #925

Thanks. I won 5 points.
Old Mar 5, 14, 10:10 am   #926
uxb

Programs: BA, DL (G), HH (Iron Pyrite), MR (SLV), SPG (LTG/PLT75), TK (*G), UA, UScAAre (DP - 1,33MM), VX, WN
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And we have an unannounced devaluation, what looks like across the board, or at least in the categories where I've paid attention. It's now 6100 MP for 2500 UA miles and 12000 MP for 5000 UA miles.
Looks like I squeaked out the redemption at the old rate. I made my redemption back on 21 Feb.
Old Mar 5, 14, 10:12 am   #927
uxb

Programs: BA, DL (G), HH (Iron Pyrite), MR (SLV), SPG (LTG/PLT75), TK (*G), UA, UScAAre (DP - 1,33MM), VX, WN
Also...

I'd like to engage in some speculation. Recently, I was on the website and noticed that cash back rates were posted side-by-side w/ point rates. Perhaps MyPoints.com is getting ready to switch over to "MyCash.com"?
Old Mar 5, 14, 10:23 am   #928

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxb View Post
Looks like I squeaked out the redemption at the old rate. I made my redemption back on 21 Feb.
Lucky you! I would have made it if it had been March 1 instead since I went over the old 5700 points mark on Feb. 27th.
Old Mar 5, 14, 10:39 am   #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxb View Post
I'd like to engage in some speculation. Recently, I was on the website and noticed that cash back rates were posted side-by-side w/ point rates. Perhaps MyPoints.com is getting ready to switch over to "MyCash.com"?
I have noticed this recently as well. Interesting.
Old Mar 5, 14, 10:50 am   #930

Today's clover is on the Office Depot page
imants is offline   Reply With Quote