Wiki Posts
Search

New lounge in SVO!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

New lounge in SVO!

Not sure whether to post this here or the Skyteam forum.

Was flying OK from SVO this afternoon. Went up to the DATEd lounge, gave my invite and proceeded happily (listening to music on my HTC) into its interior, only to get the girl at reception run after me and say that I should not enter the lounge. My bemused bitterness ('what do you mean? Is this not a Skyteam lounge? I am elite plus...' - didn't quite get to giving her the full DYKWIA treatment, but came very close!) turned into sheer curiosity when she said "Czech Airlines use the Amber lounge, which is brand new". So I thought, alright, it's not like I have got that much to lose, and followed her directions to "opposite gate 8". Was fairly annoyed to find a large amount of stairs leading down to the lounge, but the facility itself was pretty pleasant. Snack and drink offerings comparable to DATE (but no diet cola for some reason), but the environment was a lot more pleasant (well, at least after I found the TV remote and pressed MUTE in order to stop getting distracted by a Soviet action movie involving the destruction of the tail of an Aeroflot plane on landing at SVO- I kid you not!) and it obviously was far less crowded.
The lounge is operated by a private company (not SU and not the airport management itself) and used by OK, AZ, and I think I spotted one or two other airlines (maybe OA?). Our flight was delayed a bit; meaning that the place became seriously deserted after the FCO flight started boarding- and I did manage to get a couple of pics, will try to upload them soon.

To answer apoivre's question before he gets to ask it, there is a decent-sized smoking section which is separated from the rest of the lounge by a floor-to-ceiling glass divider. ^

Verdict: modern, adequate but forgettable; at least it's quiet and you're guaranteed a seat and some privacy.
Old May 11, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: SK*G
IIRC it is the same lounge LH used before they moved to DME, so not really 'brand new'. The lounge is indeed quite pleasant, but in the end your verdict sums it up quite accurately:

Originally Posted by graraps
Verdict: modern, adequate but forgettable; at least it's quiet and you're guaranteed a seat and some privacy.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
It's the old lounge which consistently went downhill during the last year.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulmoscow
It's the old lounge which consistently went downhill during the last year.
Had it been particularly good at some point in the past? It seemed to me that, apart from the addition of more extensive f&b offerings, there was nothing they could do to improve the lounge- e.g. there doesn't seem to be any space to install showers or a lift or a window for some natural light, and the seating was comfortable enough. I'm struggling to see how the same space could have been appreciably better at any point in time!
Old May 12, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
It is impossible for me to describe accurately the joy with which I discovered and starting reading this thread only to land right back where I started from by the time I got to the last post before mine.

The wait continues for SVO3's new and hopefully more than adequate offerings...
Old May 12, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by graraps
I'm struggling to see how the same space could have been appreciably better at any point in time!
Food, drinks and utensils which were not plastic before. It seems Lufthansa was a very demanding client.
Old May 20, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by woody125
It is impossible for me to describe accurately the joy with which I discovered and starting reading this thread only to land right back where I started from by the time I got to the last post before mine.

The wait continues for SVO3's new and hopefully more than adequate offerings...
That's exactly how I felt! I will be in SVO next week, and DATE lounge for me again...
Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:36 pm

That's what I don't quite understand. I'm OneWorld Sapphire, which gives me permission to entry any OW operated lounge at SVO. Assuming, this new one is called Sheremetyevo Classic Lounge, and old one is DATE- which one is the better one, and why Skyteam passengers are not allowed to go to DATE while OneWorld are allowed to enter any one of both?
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
I don't really think there's any OW-operated lounge at SVO. These are all contract lounges. The only two OW carriers flying into SVO are AY and MA so I guess you can only enter the lounge(s) they use, if any. (Oh, and the SU flight to HKG is a codeshare with CX so technically CX "flies" here as well.)

Skyteam elites use the lounge the operating carrier designates. As a Flying Blue Gold I would go to one lounge or the other depending on with which carrier I flew that day - SU or OK or AF or KL or AZ or DL and so on.

Back to topic - I just had a talk with someone who had been to the yet-to-open lounges at SVO3/Terminal D and none of these have tarmac views

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.