Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a SIM card in Russia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Plat
Buying a SIM card in Russia

I flew into DME last week and the process of buying the SIM couldn't have been easier. The main MTS kiosk in the ticketing area is gone, but there were vendors, who appeared to be authorized agents of MTS, selling SIM cards from portable tables throughout the terminal. They were selling cards with the MTS Smart Mini plan for 500 rubles (face value). The card came with 300 rubles of value which provided plenty of calls, texts and data for a 4 day visit. The seller even installed the card and insured it was operational.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
What are the opportunities of getting a SIM card at LED (Pulkovo Airport)? It's been a few years since I was there and last time I bought a Beeline SIM from a kiosk in the terminal building. I doubt it's still active as it hasn't been used for a long time.

I'll be taking an old spare phone with me that needs a full-sized SIM card. I need to call other mobile phone numbers and landlines in St Petersburg. The hotel will have WiFi so don't really need much data.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:29 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
I'm off to DME on Saturday so thought I'd check in on any updates to the mobile situation in Russia (my first visit). I have an unlocked iPhone, so it seems like Megafon might be the best option, since I'm unlikely to return frequently. Any other recommendations? Grab a SIM at the airport, or wait until I'm in the city (I'm staying at the Courtyard, and there's a report in this thread that there was a Megafon store right next to it).

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I've been using Tele-2 for travel Sims in Russia this year. Good service, good rates. Shops in most airports and retail areas.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:33 am

I would seriously advise anyone against Megafon. I bought one of their SIMs (at the airport, so no dodgy vendors) for a trip last year and it installed all kinds of malware on my phone. Worst of all, it hijacked my main browser (Opera Mini) - added all kinds of unwanted speed dial buttons and changed the default search to Yandex. Totally useless search engine for anything not in Russian, and it seems the only way to get rid of it is to uninstall the entire browser including all bookmarks. I have since heard from Russian friends that Megafon's reputation has deteriorated significantly.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Megafon is fine

Just get the sim and swap it. No apps to install. Careful what you click.
I've been using Megafon cards for years.

Personally the best sim card for traveling is inside the RF is YOTA ( which is a little tricky to buy).You'll need to speak Russian.

I personally like it, because its the only one that has no roaming all over RU ( as I understand it)

Ironically Yota is now a Megafon subsidiary company.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Roaming inside Russia is incredible expensive. You are charged 9,95rub a min for a call to any other region, or when you receive a call being outside your region. But you pay 300rub a month, and get 3gb of internet, 300sms and 300mins. And 200rub a day for intl roaming, just up to 40mb. So I'd definitely need a better provider than Beeline, though I've been with them for 4 years...
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm planning to go to Russia in April and ride the trains across the country for a month. I read that the best SIM card to get is the "smart" plan from MTS. Is that true?

http://russia-travel-guide.com/tips/...-local-sim.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.