Wiki Posts
Search

transfering SVO to DME or vice versa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
transfering SVO to DME or vice versa

How easy is it to transfer between these two airports? How far apart are they? How much time should I allow if coming into SVO and needing to get to DME for a domestic flight? I know that in some cities with multiple airports, there is a coach or metro service for a nominal charge (like CDG-Orly or Heathrow to Gatwick). Does anything like that exist in Moscow? How much of a role does rush hour or weather play in the transfer? Thanks for any insight you have.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
How easy is it to transfer between these two airports? How far apart are they? How much time should I allow if coming into SVO and needing to get to DME for a domestic flight? I know that in some cities with multiple airports, there is a coach or metro service for a nominal charge (like CDG-Orly or Heathrow to Gatwick). Does anything like that exist in Moscow? How much of a role does rush hour or weather play in the transfer? Thanks for any insight you have.
Hope this helps:

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/moscow.html
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
The taxi company I'm using quotes 1500 roubles for the ride from SVO to DME. You should call them from the airport (or have someone in Moscow call them beforehand). Otherwise, you could buy a coupon for 1300 at the counter in arrivals, get a SVO taxi to the Paveletskaya station and take the rail link to DME (ca. RUR 120).
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
How easy is it to transfer between these two airports? How far apart are they?

Opposite sides of the city! SVO is 20-odd miles NW, DME is 20-odd miles SE.

How much time should I allow if coming into SVO and needing to get to DME for a domestic flight?

With a wind in your sails, say 90 mins by car; but it could just as easily be 120-150 mins. It could well be quicker, as suggested above, to get a car to Paveletsky station in the city centre and take the convenient 50 min train from there. You might be able to check in for your connecting flight at the station as well, depending on your arline.

I know that in some cities with multiple airports, there is a coach or metro service for a nominal charge (like CDG-Orly or Heathrow to Gatwick). Does anything like that exist in Moscow?

Nope! You're hard pushed to get a sensible link from SVO to the city centre. DME is much more civilised with a train service from Paveletsky.

How much of a role does rush hour or weather play in the transfer? Thanks for any insight you have.

Rush hour can be a big issue, Moscow can be gridlocked at times and it seems to me it is only getting worse. Also depends on the time of year and whether people are fleeing to their dacha in the summer on a Friday evening! IMHO weather is less of an issue - unlike, say, the UK, Moscow does not grind to a halt after 7 flakes of snow
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
thanks, all, for the info. sounds like it cn be quite a task switching airports.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:00 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Depending on your adventure quotient there is a marshutka #45 (mini express bus) from SVO to the River Station (Rechnoi Vogzal) where you can get on the green line and ride to the Paveletskaya Train station (as mentioned earlier) and then train to DME. Takes 2 hours, is very, very cheap and provides you a more real Moscow experience if you should care for such a thing. I do this when I am alone and have no luggage to speak of.

Good luck no matter what you choose!!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:12 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by apoivre
The taxi company I'm using quotes 1500 roubles for the ride from SVO to DME. You should call them from the airport (or have someone in Moscow call them beforehand). Otherwise, you could buy a coupon for 1300 at the counter in arrivals, get a SVO taxi to the Paveletskaya station and take the rail link to DME (ca. RUR 120).

Which taxi company are you using? Are they dependable in picking up from the airport? Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:51 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by asnovici
Which taxi company are you using? Are they dependable in picking up from the airport? Thanks
www.autotaxi.ru (The site is in Russian only, though). I normally call them when I'm already past immigration and they always have a car somewhere within 20 minutes of SVO. (Oh and anyone who happens to live in Moscow can earn some SU miles for using this company)
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
www.autotaxi.ru (The site is in Russian only, though). I normally call them when I'm already past immigration and they always have a car somewhere within 20 minutes of SVO. (Oh and anyone who happens to live in Moscow can earn some SU miles for using this company)

Great info! I will use them in a couple of weeks in Moscow. It looks like its only $35 from SVO to downtown. Spasibo bolshoe!
Old Dec 14, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
We're starting to think about our next world-round on Star Alliance and I have found what appears to be a nice 'short-cut' for our purposes : ARN-svo/dme-BKK. Problem is, the conflicting, contradictory and discouraging info on the net re: the transfer from SVO-DME. Is the transit visa requirement really as much of a pain-in-the-arse as it appears to be?

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:10 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by henry999
Is the transit visa requirement really as much of a pain-in-the-arse as it appears to be?
It depends on whether the Russian consulate in your country accepts documents sent by mail.

http://www.ryssland.se/visa_s.htm
http://www.rusembassy.fi/SuomVisaInf.htm
Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:33 pm

We're starting to think about our next world-round on Star Alliance and I have found what appears to be a nice 'short-cut' for our purposes : ARN-svo/dme-BKK.
Or you could fly OS who are moving to DME pretty soon: ARN-VIE-DME-BKK
Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Or you could fly OS who are moving to DME pretty soon: ARN-VIE-DME-BKK
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, that routing is over 1000 miles farther and completely negates the short-cut!

cheers,

Henry

Last edited by henry999; Mar 5, 2017 at 12:21 pm
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, US, UA, FL, B6
We're starting to think about our next world-round on Star Alliance and I have found what appears to be a nice 'short-cut' for our purposes : ARN-svo/dme-BKK. Problem is, the conflicting, contradictory and discouraging info on the net re: the transfer from SVO-DME. Is the transit visa requirement really as much of a pain-in-the-arse as it appears to be?

cheers,

Henry
Yes. The transit visa will require all sorts of documentation, plus, if you don't speak Russian, navigating the entirety of Moscow will undoubtedly be difficult.

It might be easier than it would be for me if your citizenship is non-US (which it probably is, judging from your given location and your start airport), but you'll still need documentation. Russia will demand that you have your Thailand visa first, which, depending on your citizenship, may be difficult to obtain (if you wouldn't normally need a visa, you may find yourself in a situation where you need to explain to the Thais why you need one or to the Russians why you don't). They'll also want you to have already purchased the ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
apologies for digging up an old thread....

looking for options to transfer between svo & dme....time is not a factor since we will be spending the night at the sheraton svo & flying out from dme the following day early in the afternoon....there will be 4 of us (2 adults & 2 small kids) so i'm not interested in taking the train or bus....will require a large car since we will have a couple of suitcases & 2 baby strollers....

any recommendations????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.