Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Visiting St. Petersburg but not on cruise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

I'd like to spend more than 3-4 days (the max time allotted to most Baltic cruises it seems) visiting St. Petersburg. Is there any way to visit St. Petersburg on my own or do all trips need to be scheduled through a cruise company?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
You can visit St. Petersburg on your own, no problem.
You just need a visa.
This is assuming you are from Europe - I don't know how it works for the rest of the world.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by helosc
You can visit St. Petersburg on your own, no problem.
You just need a visa.
This is assuming you are from Europe - I don't know how it works for the rest of the world.
From the USA, but sounds like you're right.

I guess that booking through a cruise company is the easiest since all the dates are pinpointed. Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
But it's not difficult to do yourself at all.
In Europe for the visa application you need a travelhealth insurance that specifically covers Russia (a letter from your insurance company will do) + the official 'invitation' papers from your hotel(s) - hotels provide this for free when you have booked with them and request it - no trouble.

I would assume that it's the same from USA.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by helosc
But it's not difficult to do yourself at all.
In Europe for the visa application you need a travelhealth insurance that specifically covers Russia (a letter from your insurance company will do) + the official 'invitation' papers from your hotel(s) - hotels provide this for free when you have booked with them and request it - no trouble.

I would assume that it's the same from USA.
Worst case, pay a visa service. But I agree, not hard to do yourself at all.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for tips! I'll look into it more.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:29 am

There are plenty of hire-a-guide services and they aren't that expensive. Not gonna give links, they are easily Googleable. If you are in Saint Petersburg, you should definitely schedule a few museum tours with a private guide. You can totally visit the city alone, just get your visa.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:16 pm

On the topic of short visits to St. Petersburg: where/how would you get rubles if you've got an American ATM card? Or would you trade cash for cash, or, shades of travel past, bring traveler's checks?

A friend is going on a cruise with her in-laws (she's not much of a traveler) and she's panicked about getting some "walking around money" - i.e. a couple lunches and a few souvenirs' worth of cash - and asked me for info. Never been to Russia, so I can't help her but I thought someone here could advise.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
On the topic of short visits to St. Petersburg: where/how would you get rubles if you've got an American ATM card? Or would you trade cash for cash, or, shades of travel past, bring traveler's checks?

A friend is going on a cruise with her in-laws (she's not much of a traveler) and she's panicked about getting some "walking around money" - i.e. a couple lunches and a few souvenirs' worth of cash - and asked me for info. Never been to Russia, so I can't help her but I thought someone here could advise.
We hd no trouble taking out rubles from our hotel's ATM using our American debit/ATM card (Chase) when we visited St Petersburg a couple of years back.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

Credit Cards work everywhere (including contactless payment on fare gates in the metro), restaurants and hotels accept cards, ATMs give out cash even if you're using an American ATM card.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:54 am

Yes, we are in Saint-Petersburg now and have been able to pay everything by credit card. Even the tickets booths for museum, supermarkets, smaller shops, etc. We just keep a few rubles just in case, but haven't needed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.