Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Belarus

proof of medical insurance is required
To get the visa at the airport upon arrival a traveler must show proof of "medical insurance in the amount of at least €10,000 operational in Belarus". If the traveler does not have such documentation available, they can easily purchase insurance upon arrival, at a a kiosk to the left as you enter the Immigration hall: €2 for 1 or 2 days, €4 for 3 or 4 days, or €6 for 5 days. (see posts #16, #25)

visa policy of Belarus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Belarus

Lonely Planet - Belarus: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/belarus
Print Wikipost

Visa Free Travel to Belarus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Visa Free Travel to Belarus

Wow. Did not see this coming. If you've never been there, check it out. It's a truly unique place. Visa free travel for 80 countries that did not enjoy it before is quite a big deal.

http://belarusfeed.com/breaking-bela...for-80-states/
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:00 am
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Big deal, true, but then the limitations in fine print are annoying. Can't fly from Moscow to Minsk and back. Can't travel by land. But it's something.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by a7m
Can't fly from Moscow to Minsk and back. Can't travel by land. But it's something.
No different than now.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. Shame about the overland restriction but still a big step.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: CX AY DL
still the easiest way in is flight from Moscow hmm...
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:39 am

proof of "medical insurance in the amount of at least €10,000"

To get the visa at the airport upon arrival a traveler must show proof of "medical insurance in the amount of at least €10,000 operational in Belarus".

Like many people I have medical insurance (from a standard "health maintenance organization") through my employer.

Would anyone know how one would prove having medical insurance, especially proving the "at least €10,000" coverage part?
Is showing a letter from one's HMO the normal way?

Just want to make sure that the visa upon arrival is not denied due to not having the type of documentation that they wish to see.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread was moved to the Europe forum for further discussion.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:33 pm

It's a welcome development but I don't think it's going to increase tourist numbers much. Flight options to MSQ seem very limited. From the EU it's either FRA/VIE/WAW 2x daily each on *A, RIX on BT every other day or Belavia.

I recall they briefly lifted visas in the past for a hockey tournament and even now some border areas can be entered visa-free (although not the capital). Alternatively, group visas can be had for €10/person for 5+ people crossing together. I'd expect the visa regime to be further relaxed soon, perhaps unless Russia objects to it.

Last edited by ProleOnParole; Feb 19, 2017 at 11:09 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I read that this is part of the political game between Moscow and Minsk
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:09 pm

Has anyone entered Belarus already with this new visa-free option?

And does anyone have an idea on what's the reason on limiting it to Minsk airport?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Arctifox
Has anyone entered Belarus already with this new visa-free option?

And does anyone have an idea on what's the reason on limiting it to Minsk airport?
Well, it's the only international airport in Belarus; even their website address, www.airport.by, reflects that. Or do you mean why it doesn't extend to land crossings? That would be a huge change for them and also a significant loss of visa fee revenue, it's unlikely to happen at once. Also, the other, "larger half" of the Union State might not be comfortable with it.

Some people did appear to use the visa-free entry at MSQ:

Mostly Germans And Poles. Over 200 Visa-Free Travelers Visit Belarus In 3 Days

The citizens of Germany and Poland have so far made up the majority of visa-free tourists to Belarus since the country introduced new visa rules on 12 February, the media report citing the State Border Committee.

As of 10:00 on 14 February, a total of 281 people crossed the border checkpoint in Minsk National Airport visa-free.

The very first visa-free tourists arrived from China, Finland and Italy. Visa-free travelers came mostly from Germany (48 people), Poland (41) and Italy (34).

Belarus also welcomed 16 UK citizens and 16 citizens of the Netherlands, and even traveles from very distant countries – two citizens of Australia and of Mexico, and one tourist from South Korea and from Japan.
http://belarusfeed.com/200-visa-free...ers-in-3-days/
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
By end of first week it was 1100: http://euroradio.fm/en/more-1100-for...sa-free-regime

Some suggestions that the visa free period could be extended to two weeks http://eng.belta.by/politics/view/mf...ks-98760-2017/
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Well, it's the only international airport in Belarus; even their website address, www.airport.by, reflects that. Or do you mean why it doesn't extend to land crossings? That would be a huge change for them and also a significant loss of visa fee revenue, it's unlikely to happen at once. Also, the other, "larger half" of the Union State might not be comfortable with it.

I was actually thinking both, but haven't thought about the possibility that there is no other airport - but the explanations make sense to me.

I hope this regulation is not withdrawn as quickly as it arrived, I'd definitely be interested in giving at try later this year.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Will be very interested to get some reports on how this is working, especially when it comes to the proof of insurance requirement.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Clay_C.
Will be very interested...the proof of insurance requirement.
Same here. Hopefully someone can let us know.

As I posted earlier: How would one prove having medical insurance, especially proving the "at least €10,000" coverage part?
Is showing a letter from one's HMO the normal way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.