Reload this Page >

SIM card visiting Moscow?

Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP/OWE

Hi all,
I'm visiting Moscow for 2 days next month and curious to hear recommendations of what SIM card I should purchase? And should I purchase it beforehand, or pick one up at the airport (DME)?

I only need data and would be happy with 1-2gb).

Many thanks!

BTW: I don't speak any Russian
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There's a small stand on the right hand side as you exit customs. A few years ago I bought an MTC SIM card there. Looking on their site now 2GB + 250min + 250 SMS is 300 rub and is good for 30 days. With the SIM card, it should be 320 rub.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.
I'm assuming I should be able to just turn up and pick up a sim card? I don't speak any Russian but I suspect I should be OK?
The 300rub sim sounds perfect to me.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You'll need your passport to register the SIM. I think the guy working there spoke some English.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

No worries thanks. Yeah I'm sure we can get by with basic communication. I'm sure i can join the wifi at the airport and use google translate if there's major problems.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:07 am

I bought a sim card off Ebay. If you have 30 days before your travel, this could be an option for you. Just buy from a reputable seller.

I got a MegaFon sim for $14, received it in 14 days and it came activated. It also came with instructions on how to use it in English. The sim expires after 45 days of non usage. I texted myself to test the sim and it extended the sim for 45 more days. You can load more minutes online. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvdbuddy
I bought a sim card off Ebay. If you have 30 days before your travel, this could be an option for you. Just buy from a reputable seller.

I got a MegaFon sim for $14, received it in 14 days and it came activated. It also came with instructions on how to use it in English. The sim expires after 45 days of non usage. I texted myself to test the sim and it extended the sim for 45 more days. You can load more minutes online. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. I fly out in 12 days so it's probably cutting it a bit fine now so I'll probably just pick up a MTC SIM at the airport.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:27 am
pjs

Originally Posted by dvdbuddy

I did something similar and it worked great. I'm giving it to a friend who will now use it on her trip later this month as there is plenty of data usage left.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
World Sim,I use it all over Europe,and used it in Moscow,best one around.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Ambassador;Lifetime Titanium; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
I am flying into SVO in 3 weeks and need a SIM card. From there I will be taking a train to St. Petersburg and then going to Berlin and Prague. I am fine buying a SIM at the airport for Russia (7 days between the two cities), but will the World Sim be better?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

World SIM looks very expensive. 1MB of data is USD1.25!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Ambassador;Lifetime Titanium; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
Anyone know where to buy a SIM card in SVO? Is this the easiest way to do it?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:25 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by flyerdoc
There is a kiosk just outside arrivals in Terminal D.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Miles & More, Aadvantage
Originally Posted by flyerdoc
like there are being said there are stands when you exit after customs. There are also MTS and Megafon offices on the way to Aeroexpress. People there should definitely speak English.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:40 am

I was in SVO last week. There's a MegaFon stall on the way to the aeroexpress in SVO. I loaded 300 rubles to my sim card and got 3gig of data at 4G speed. The salesman spoke english and took care of everything for me.

I had a sim from Ebay, but you can ask them if you can purchase one there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.