Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit without visa but returning to the same country

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Transit without visa but returning to the same country

I'm looking to transit at LED, with a stop of less than 24 hours. Transit without visa should apply.

However, a transit usually is defined as arriving from one country and departing to another country. Would there be an issue at LED if onward ticket is to the same country as I arrived from?

Some countries (eg China) is extremely careful with the "departing to another country" for their TWOV.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you looked at the rules on TIMATIC?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I don't have timatic access since staralliance.com updated their website and removed every useful tool...
iatatravelcentre.com lists only one rule for TWOV in my case and that is

"Passengers transiting only are exempt from holding a visa when: Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours."

-- Added
So it still boils down to "are you in transit if you depart for the same country you arrived from"?

Last edited by intuition; Jan 30, 2016 at 12:55 pm
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Just get a visa and be done with it. I would never, ever travel to Russia without a valid entry document. regardless of any "official exceptions"
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by intuition
Would there be an issue at LED if onward ticket is to the same country as I arrived from?

Some countries (eg China) is extremely careful with the "departing to another country" for their TWOV.
What country would it be? And what airline? What can happen at LED is actually not as relevant as what the carrier will say when you are about to board the plane. You'll have to argue with the airline, which is not likely to let you fly to Russia. But that's what usually happens. Perhaps if you answer the questions above, you get better responses.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just had same on Dec 28 on United Airlines ticket.
IAH-MUC-LED-MUC - per Embassy rules and Timatic and United, no visa needed.

My United flight was late from IAH and had to abandon MUC-LED-MUC.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by intuition
I don't have timatic access since staralliance.com updated their website and removed every useful tool...
iatatravelcentre.com lists only one rule for TWOV in my case and that is

"Passengers transiting only are exempt from holding a visa when: Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours."

-- Added
So it still boils down to "are you in transit if you depart for the same country you arrived from"?
There's a link to TIMATIC on the SkyTeam website, among other possibilities.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:50 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by a7m
What country would it be? And what airline? What can happen at LED is actually not as relevant as what the carrier will say when you are about to board the plane. ...
Original idea for routing would be HEL-LED-HEL-xxx, all on AY. I also have the option of routing RIX-LED on BT (or ARN-LED on SK), then continue LED-HEL-xxx on AY. In all cases I will be holding an onward ticket, with departure within 24h.

What happens at LED is very relevant to me. If the airline refuses to board me, then so be it. No harm done. If Russian authorities refuses me onwards travel from LED, then harm done.

Originally Posted by zebranz
Just had same on Dec 28 on United Airlines ticket.
IAH-MUC-LED-MUC - per Embassy rules and Timatic and United, no visa needed.

My United flight was late from IAH and had to abandon MUC-LED-MUC.
Exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. To bad you didn't get to fly the last part.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a link to TIMATIC on the SkyTeam website, among other possibilities.
Thanks - by the look of the answer provided by that service, the one I used is also powered by timatic. Identical answer, and no mention of transit to third country.

Originally Posted by TIMATIC web
Russian Federation - Transit Visa

Visa required.

Transiting without a visa is possible for:

Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours.

There are no transit facilities available at Khabarovsk (KHV), Krasnodar (KRR), Yuzhno Sakhalinsk (UUS) and Vladivostok (VVO). Passengers are required to clear Immigration and Customs.
In the old version of timatic that was available on staralliance, I remeber there used to be a footnote defining a transit as a travel to third country.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:00 am

IIRC using the SkyTeam TIMATIC link, clicking on something like the word transit leads to a definition which is totally irrelevant (and confusing) for TWOV as it applies in mainland China.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:35 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

That is exactly how I remembered it, but this version (timaticWeb2) is embedded in the site and has no footnotes or definition links.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
I don't think the Russian authorities would bother with checking that you're not "transiting" to the same country that you've just arrived from. However, the airline might.
Anyway, RIX-LED-HEL-xxx seems like a perfectly legal (and reasonable) transit route.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Miles&More Silver, Skyteam Gold
Any updates or recent experiences on this topic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.