Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Lost all documents. Only have my US driver's license and SS card. Am I doomed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost all documents. Only have my US driver's license and SS card. Am I doomed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by TObject
The term “dual citizen” has specific meaning as far as Russian law is concerned. Do not walk in to a Russian consulate and clam to be a dual citizen when you are not; confusion may result.
Dude, nobody cares about what word "dual" really means when it is applied to citizenship. There are very few true "dual citizens" (implying both citizenships are recognized by both respective countries), yet people use this word every time to denote the fact that they hold two citizenships. Nobody will give you grief if you walk into a Russian consulate and say that you are a dual Russian-US citizen. Hell, even the Department of State use "dual citizenship" phrase even though the US don't have any treaties with other countries regarding the dual citizenship matters.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:26 pm

Do whatever you want. If you put “dual Russian-US citizen” on an application, it will be rejected.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:44 pm

The application asks to list all citizenships that you have, so there is no place to put word "dual" anywhere. If you walk in and say that you are a dual citizen of this and that, they won't argue with you and will simply treat you as a person who holds two different citizenships.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by König
If you walk in and say that you are a dual citizen of this and that, they won't argue with you and will simply treat you as a person who holds two different citizenships.
No they will not, the consulate will treat a person ether as Russian, as non-Russian, or as a dual citizen.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:48 pm

Russia does not currently have a treaty with another country regarding the dual citizenship, so a Russian citizen can hold multiple citizenship but not dual citizenship (in strict legal terms).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.