Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

So confused- which Russian visa do I need?

Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum

Going to Russia next year. I will do a sort of crazy path via boat to Sakhalin, and then onto mainland Siberia, where I will flit around before entering Mongolia. Will have to cross back through to get from Mongolia to Kazakhstan (they don't have a border with each other).

I have a slew of Central Asian visas to get but Russian seems "easiest" (which is scary) so I will start with this one. There aren't any consulates in my city so I wanted to get started soon when I visit NYC this month.

I know I need 3 yr, multiple entry- but do I get tourist or business? I've heard business visa is not necessarily from a business, you can get a LOI for it. It sounds like tourist visa you have to have confirmed stuff for the whole tour? I won't be on a tour. I will be able to get tourist LOI from hostel I will stay at and it looks like business ones are easily available through visa companies, etc.

Also I know I will be going to areas (port of entry- Sakhalin- for one) that I need some permits for? Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by Daichovo; Dec 12, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
You don't need to confirm everything just one nights hotel and a return from somewhere. You also need a tourist voucher but that you can get from a hotel or visa provider. I can't comment on the permits.
cheers
Howie
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Looks like you need a transit visa:

http://www.ils-usa.com/main.php?id=t...d=know&lang=en
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Correction: given that you plan to "flit around a bit" in Russia, you should get the tourist visa. I just posted my experience with it in the sticky on visas.

You only need a business visa if you plan to business activity in Russia. The tourist visa is cheaper. Just use an online agency to get an LOI to cover the dates. Know that you'll need to register your visa wherever you stop in Russia (hotels will do this for you), and have train tickets or something to account for the time in between.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.