Wiki Posts
Search

Russian MTS SIM Card Outside of Russia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Russian MTS SIM Card Outside of Russia

Hi,
I have messaged MTS customer support few times already, waited for a while but no reply from them. I bought MTS sim card (Russian phone number for cell phone Samsung) and want to use it in completely different country but still inside Europe. Along sim card I received USB key (sim on usb key also, i think the same usb key i got with sim also has some kind of router on usb installed - not sure) with some weird software called Connect Manager. Installed it and although I haven't changed anything in this weird software, it says ''Cannot find modem'' and/or ''Cannot connect'' (or something similar) and ''Sim card is not ready''. If I click on button ''Connect'' nothing happens.
I also put sim card into my Samsung cell phone. It didn't ask me for pin or puk code but on the phone (on phone's display) it says similar to ''Limited Service'' which basically means no phone server.

I am NOT planning to do any outgoing calls or SMS messages so any suggestion about how to fund the card (top up money) won't be helpful. I want to use it ONLY for incoming calls/sms.

Would anyone please explain how could i use russian sim card (mts phone provider) outside of russia but still inside europe?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
The int'l roaming service is turned off by default. Instructions to turn it on are (in Russian, but Google Translate should do the job) here: http://www.mts.ru/mob_connect/roamin...ming/howtoget/
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Temedar thank you for your reply. I tried to do (quoting according to google translate) the following:

''Without recourse to the salon shop MTS or sales office''

but google translate is showing also (as one of steps):

"type on your mobile phone;
use the Internet Assistant;
contact the contact center MTS.
Use the switch (requires authorization in the Personal Area) "

Im not sure about Internet Assistant. I have USB key and i was told from the seller that usb key contains sim card on it. However the procedure involves contacting MTS center. I did this multiple times on two different phone numbers but noone speaks english there. They just forwarded me to some other department but noone picked up the call there. Is it possible to do international roaming service for russian sim card (to be used in ''our'' county - also in Europe) without contacting MTS? Google translate seems to do acceptable ''job'' but im afraid only those instructions you provided won't help.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
According to the website to turn on roaming for your SIM card without visiting their office you either have to be their customer for the last 12 months or have an average spend of 650 rubles or more during the last 6 months. If none of these apply to you then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.