Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Russia is a hugely underrated destination -- what can it do to improve its image?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Russia is a hugely underrated destination -- what can it do to improve its image?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
And it's a legitimate concern. The average Russian don't even make as much as a Western European. They could overstay their visas and not leave. It's not like the EU isn't dealing with illegal migration at the moment.
Well, given
1. There are 7 mln visas issued during a year with a refusal rate of 0.8%
2. In particular 1 mln is given only at Finnish embassy for citizens of St Pete without any check ( may except for road police fines) - you just need photo & passport
3. EU is not only Western Europe , but also Slovakia and even Bulgaria and Romania - that have average income below Russia even officially

I dont see any concern
At least not more concern that unemployed Spanish come to Moscow to give Spanish classes

I live in so called West Europe and can well compare it with Russia. How much is made on average in Russia ( in reality incl grey market) is quite high. The problem is more infrastructure, climate, ecology, in some cities food quality etc
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:56 pm

why is everyone dancing around hundreds of different reason
when it can easily be summed up in two words: regime change
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:26 am

I'd say the biggest thing that Russia needs to do is grant at least 3 day visa-free entry to EU/US citizens. This would greatly increase the flow of tourists, because the Russian visa policy is rather burdensome, pricey, and I'm sure turns away many potential tourists. This would also help the Russian Airlines, since people could fly via Moscow, by staying in the city for a day or two. Given all the tensions now, I doubt Russia would approve this, but they need to understand that EU/US tourists could bring a lot of money and business to Moscow even with a 3 day free entry policy. Also, people visiting Moscow should improve Russia's public image in the West.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Habetov
I'd say the biggest thing that Russia needs to do is grant at least 3 day visa-free entry to EU/US citizens. This would greatly increase the flow of tourists, because the Russian visa policy is rather burdensome, pricey, and I'm sure turns away many potential tourists.
True, I remember in one instance they refused to issue a visa to my passport since it gone wet and the red color of the envelope left a few marks on the first 5 pages.

(heavy Russian accent) "We will not give you visa to this passport! It is an insult to hand over damaged document to official of mother Russia, go home!"

At the German embassy where I went to get a replacement they said they heard the story a few times already, even though nobody else in the world seems to care. As long as the passport and the stamps/visa stickers are readable, not a problem.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by koreanair720
But here's the thing: many people in the States wondered "why" I would want to go Russia!
I'm not an American, but I can relate to everything you say!
Back in 2006 I decided I want to visit both Moscow and SPb and dedicated my entire Summer vacation to those destinations. And when my boss (Danish) heard that I'm planing to visit Russia, she asked me if I'm going to visit any family there. I told her that no, I won't, as I have no relatives at all (my family lives in Israel, and I have some relatives on my mother's side who live in Estonia) in Russia. Then my boss lifted her eyebrows and asked me why in the world do I want to go to Russia?!? It sounded like she thinks this country is noth worth of a visit.
Since then I visited those cities many times. I go to Russia 3-4 times a year and absolutely love it. OK, I have an advantage: I speak very good Russian (I was born in Leningrad, and then our family moved to Israel in 1989, when I was 9 years old, but even after all those years I mantained a very high language skill, thanks to reading lots of books and being a member of many Russian forums/communities), so there's no problems with neither communication nor with understanding the Russian culture. When I read different Russian forums, I sometimes get the impression many are very anti-Western, yet, when it comes to real life, I was always treated with respect from the locals. When I told that I don't live in Russia, some people complimented me on how good my Russian is and were generally really friendly and curious.
It's a shame so few Westerners actually give Russia a chance, because this country has lots to offer. There are so many impressive museums, beautiful nature, great shopping etc. And maybe the Russians should be a bit better at promoting their country as a great tourist destination. I always see commercials about visiting Turkey/Thailand/UAE etc., but never "visit Russia", and that's a real shame. This country is a real treasure which deserves to be a much more popular tourist destination!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by KL4805
It's a shame so few Westerners actually give Russia a chance, because this country has lots to offer. There are so many impressive museums, beautiful nature, great shopping etc. And maybe the Russians should be a bit better at promoting their country as a great tourist destination. I always see commercials about visiting Turkey/Thailand/UAE etc., but never "visit Russia", and that's a real shame. This country is a real treasure which deserves to be a much more popular tourist destination!
1) The government doesn't spend a penny to promote anything outside Russia (in comparison to millions spent by Turkey or Thailand).
Actually before 2014 99% of Russian tourism undustry was Russians going abroad. And only 1 % - vice versa. Also before 2014 it was quite expensive to visit. It has been changing for a while although

2) All those small efforts that nevertheless exist, they focus on the Chinese market, that is nowadays day the most perspective, profitable and politically friendly. It is undoubtedly number 1 for inbound tourism. So I am not surpised no promotion has been noticed in the West. It simply exists only in the East.

3) Also the visa regime, but this is also getting improved lately (now 40+ countries (more than US) visa free in comparison to 10-15 ten years ago)
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by kpc
Just got back from a 13 night trip to SPB and Moscow, which we did independently without any tour groups or guides bar doing the "Free Tours" in SPB and Moscow, both of which I highly recommend and posted as such on Trip Advisor ....had a great time in both SPB and Moscow. Visited all the usual tourist places during our 13 night trip. Having a smartphone with GPS and google maps came in really handy esp. in Moscow where the signs were only in Cyrillic. Found working out which exit to take from the Moscow subway the hardest as we could not read the signs, and had to take any random exit, and then go from there with the GPS.

Moscow was my favourite of the 2 cities mainly because of the buildings and history but SPB wasn't bad too. We flew into LED (St Petersburg) and out from DME (Moscow), and caught the high speed Sapsan train between the 2 cities (4 hours).

My highlights: Church of the Spilled blood, Catherine's palace (and Amber room), canal cruise, Peterhof in SPB; opera at Bolshoi, Red Square, Kremlin Museum (and Armoury and Diamond Fund), St Basils and GUM at night and Gorky park on a sunny afternoon in Moscow. Found that the younger Moscovites could usually speak a few words of English when we got lost (eg no GPS signal available); the only surly ones were the government bureaucrats selling palace / museum tickets....no we can't sell you the 12 noon tickets for Catheine's palace at 1155am....come back at 12noon!!

We travelled independently with my 75yo mother and felt safe at all times both day and night in both cities. We were told tourists numbers were down 40% in Moscow due to the Ukraine crisis, and there were hardly any American tourists in Moscow.

If you have any doubts about going to SPB and Moscow, don't...GO!! ^Happy to answer any Qs and I'm sure other posters will chip in as well.
Love this post and will be looking for your reviews as I plan my trip to Moscow and St Petersburg in may!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Starting my 4th year in Russia, I'm getting used to see each day more tourist friendly places, like restaurants, hotels, or even drivers who already speak some english, or applications that make it possible. Is pretty easy to do most things without knowledge of the language, as navigate on the cities with GoogleMaps, or use the metro (YandexMetro) or taxis (YandexTaxi). Buying train tickets, even if done with cash in a train station, it is posible, as in most of them there is at least one employee who speaks decent English.
The level of confort and prices is not unreasonable, is still worse than in Western Europe, but cheaper.

The problem is when you decide to go off-the-beaten-path. Moscow, Saint Petersburg, eventually Sochi, and some of the towns of the so called Golden Ring are fine. But leave beyond, and even speaking perfect Russian you can get completely lost.

My personal experience in this last trip to Vologda, Arkhangelsk and the Komi Republic has left me unpleasant memories and reminders about how harsh can be to visit Russia, how much stupidity you find in each corner. How cold winters really are. But, at the end, how amazing this country is, and most of its people is.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:37 am

It's definitely an underrated destination. One that I would recommend to any open minded traveler. It has its own quirks and problems, but when you sit down, reflect, and compare you come to the realization that there are problems and quirks everywhere. Each place is unique.

Some places that I would recommend in Moscow: (other than the obvious Red Square):
- Seeing the world famous ballet at the Bolshoi Theater. Giselle for example.
- Going to Kolomenskoye - a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Going to Tsaritsino
- Indulging in Soviet Architecture at VDNKh (recently renovated)

There is just so much to do and see.
If you need recommendations, or any help, let me know!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA
Russia's reputation is influenced by a lot of reporting on its' hostility (or worse) towards visible minorities/LGBT persons.

If you are a visible minority/LGBT, please do some detailed research (using sources you trust from your own community) before considering travel to Russia.

Here's what I'd recommend for LGBT persons that are considering travel to Russia

1) Ask yourself, do I really need to go this year?
2) Stay in big cities and at major hotels.
3) If travelling outside of big cities, go with established tour groups that cater to Western European/American tourists
4) Consider hiring a Russian guide from the LGBT community. They will be equipped to steer you away from potentially violent situations and towards places/venues where you have a lower likelihood of receiving bad/no service
5) Exercise extreme caution on the social networking apps. People catfish on them and use them to lure Gay men to places where they are beaten and robbed. Stay off of them
6) If you do decide to go to a Gay club in the few places where they are allowed to still operate (and if you are in Russia - might as well), do your own research about how to get there (be careful about asking the hotel staff - and if you have a gay guide to the city, do not leave it visible when not in the room). When I'm in a place like Moscow or Beirut, I try to find a plausible address (e.g., a restaurant) on the same block as the venue then ask for a cab to that address.
7) Do not wear ANY rainbow colors. That can get you beaten or even arrested.
8) If anyone asks you if you want women, tell the person asking you don't feel well. Don't tell them you are religious. Because you might get them telling you a bunch of anti-Gay stuff in response (happened to me - cab driver thought that since I was religious, that I didn't like Gay people, and went on for 20 terrifying minutes)
9) If someone asks you if you are LGBT, be very cautious about answering honestly. This isn't the Western World. You can seriously get in trouble there.
10) If you hear the word pedarasti, leave immediately. That word is the N-Bomb for LGBT persons. It actually means 'pedophile' but Russian extremists use it to refer to any LGBT person.
11) Use tours whenever possible if out on the street.
12) Remember that Western stereotypes about certain professions/groups being less hostile towards LGBT persons might not apply in Russia. Women, educated persons, even persons in the theater aren't much more likely to be accepting than the general population in Russia.

For St Petersburg, if you feel you really have to see it, I'd do the day tour from Helsinki. Moscow is a lot more difficult. The rest of Russia, I'd only do with a tour catering to Western tourists.

Actually I'd stay away for now, but if you really HAVE to do it now, then do your research and consider my advice.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Accor Gold BW Diamond
Bullsh.it
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Russia's reputation is influenced by a lot of reporting on its' hostility (or worse) towards visible minorities/LGBT persons.
*facepalm*

Have you actually been to Russia before?
Much noise about nothing...
I'll explain in a later post.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:20 am

Russia really is 50 years behind on sexual and other minorities civil rights. Do not attract any extra attention and you should be fine. It might not feel nice, but at least you can stay safe.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
To go to the US (from France) you have to connect to the internet and seconds later ESTA confirms authorisation to travel to the US. Cost is $14.
To go to Russia (from France) you have to apply for a visa, last time my husband came it took more than one month to go through the whole process and cost was roughly 200 Eur. It could have been less, but for that he shall have waited hours and hours at least twice in front of the Embassy.
To go to the US from Hong Kong holding a Hong Kong passport you have to apply for a visa, which takes a compulsory interview with hours queuing and commonly rejected and cost US$190 no matter it is accepted or not.
To go to Russia from Hong Kong holding a Hong Kong passport you just need a plane ticket and that's it.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by miklcct
To go to the US from Hong Kong holding a Hong Kong passport you have to apply for a visa, which takes a compulsory interview with hours queuing and commonly rejected and cost US$190 no matter it is accepted or not.
The B1/B2 refusal rate for HK passport holders is 3.45%. Not exactly common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.