Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money Matters ( post sanctions)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Money Matters ( post sanctions)

I just got back from MOW last week, and had to avoid SMP bank ( the Rotenberg brothers, judo friends of Vladmir Vladmirovich) . Allegedly foreign ATM cards work (per Russia Today) but I did not fully investigate.

There is one Barclays Bank machine left in Moscow ( Barclays exited the Russian market in 2011?) so I stuck to either ROS bank ( French Societe General) or Alfa Bank ( Micheal Friedman, who is not sanctioned I believe), and I was able to get money from a USD dollar account based in the United States with no problems.

I thought I would start this tread to keep up with the evolving situation, as it would totally be bad news for travelers to discover that they are locked out of funds to pay for things whist in Russia.

Did anyone else have problems?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Alfa worked for me last week in Moscow, Novosibirsk and Minsk.

Never thought about this being a problem. Thanks for the heads up. Not back again till June but will lean heavily on bankomats then for sure. Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Bank Rossiya (obviously) and SMP may pose a difficulty. Foreign bank accounts should work, but who knows if JP Morgan Chase / Bank of America are doing their own blocking. Why make life difficult for yourself?. The best way would be if you have a local Russian bank account like Sber for example ( wire money to that account from the US) that you just use while there. I don't have such a facility.

ROS bank (Societie General) would be safe I suppose, along with Citibank ( not always convenient). Pity Barclays is down to one branch these days. Who knew it would come to this?

My trip to Moscow last week will probably be my last for while. The propaganda is just too intense. I find myself in the to be in a strange place where I can understand and appreciate both sides ( having spent a lot of time in Russia) but there is too much heat of nationalistic pride going on right now.
Especially if you are from the US.

I think I might have to start calling myself Canadian.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Add invest capital bank, and sobin Bank to the list . Also Visa and MasterCard are being caught on the crossfire and are being asked to pony up 2 days worth of processing held in escrow with the Russian central bank

For the time being alternatives are available, meaning you can get cash with a foreign card at different banks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.