Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Russia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
Question Traveling to Russia

Hi All. We are taking a cruise out of Stockholm in July that has a 2 day stop in St. Petersburg, Russia. Would you think about changing your plans? I know that's a ways from the Ukraine but the country could make entry difficult, or our government could ban US citizens from traveling there. I'm not terribly worried but my wife is. Obviously this trip is not cheap so we hate to have it cancelled or changed at the last minute. Fyi, we are traveling on Royal Caribbean.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:07 pm

You do know how far St. Petersburg is from the Ukraine right?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
Moeve-- I know the distance. I'm not worried about violence in St. Petersburg. It's just that I'm concerned that politics comes into play and Russia says "no US citizens allowed" or our government says "no US citizens can visit Russia".

As for rebooking, we could probably do that but our airfare is to Stockholm and to change that would be expensive. So I'm left hanging just a little bit on this one.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
The only way I'd see that happening is if WWIII erupts. If it did become impossible to travel there, Royal Caribbean would either alter the cruise path or cancel/provide refunds.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:39 pm

You'll be fine. Worst case, Russia DOES block US entry and you stay on the ship or the ship changes course.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
St. Petersburg is a very beautiful and impressive city so I hope you will be able to visit it.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mclymerne
Russia says "no US citizens allowed" or our government says "no US citizens can visit Russia".
Seriously?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
So long as the US does not end up at war with Russia (and I really don't see things coming to that!), I would not hesitate to travel to Russia. Assuming that there are any political issues that prevented citizens of the US and/or other countries from entering Russia, I'm sure that Royal Caribbean would make adjustments accordingly.

I'm really not sure how "internal corruption" or "human rights abuses" that other posters mention figures into this: yes, these are serious issues, but really have no practical implications for someone spending two days in St. Petersburg as a package tourist. Any purely political/moral factors should be left to OP's judgment.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Short answer: There's no way to know.

The chance of the US and Russia ending up at war is tiny (remember MAD?) but the chance of Russia getting involved in a bloody mess in Ukraine? It's possible.

Things are a bit unpredictable, however, so if your risk appetite isn't very high I wouldn't recommend going there now.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:55 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread to the Russia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A member is asking whether they should (or not) visit St. Petersburg, Russia and whether there is a possibility of being forbidden travel to Russia or entry there. Please stay on topic and refrain from accusations against members or political rhetoric and purely political points of view. If you feel a burning need to discuss political issues, please do so in OMNI /PR.

Posts not following the Guidelines and Rules and the structure of FT fora will be summarily deleted.

Thank you for your consideration.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I would not change your plans. Best case you get to visit St. Petersburg. Worse case Royal Caribbean will provide an alternate stop and you will have more time somewhere else to explore.

I visited St. Petersburg and Moscow two years ago and they were both great. I would imagine the people there will be very friendly even if there are hostilities elsewhere. Hopefully you get to visit St. P without any interruption.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I'm planning a business trip to Moscow this weekend and even as experienced as I am, I feel a bit uneasy. It's the unpredictability of the current situation.

I was in Moscow during one of their stoushes with Georgia a few years back. Weird things (weird to us, anyway) were happening - such as several Georgian restaurants closing down without warning after visits from "health inspectors" . Well , probably real health inspectors, but apparently used as tools of the state.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino
I'm planning a business trip to Moscow this weekend and even as experienced as I am, I feel a bit uneasy. It's the unpredictability of the current situation.

I was in Moscow during one of their stoushes with Georgia a few years back. Weird things (weird to us, anyway) were happening - such as several Georgian restaurants closing down without warning after visits from "health inspectors" . Well , probably real health inspectors, but apparently used as tools of the state.
Mandolino: Please update us after your trip. Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Right now, the biggest danger appears to be being rendered catatonic by the relentless propaganda on Russia Today. Beautiful day in Moscow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.