Wiki Posts
Search

SVO vs DME vs VKO update?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
SVO vs DME vs VKO update?

I fly to Moscow maybe once a year these days. I stopped using SVO years ago in favour of DME.

I like it because Immigration is quick, the AeroExpress is handy, and I know my way around from Paveletskaya.

Also the BA departure at 17:50 gets me back to ABZ the same evening .

However, I've been hearing about improvements at SVO and even VKO - how do they compare these days for ease of arrival and departure?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Aeroexpress is the same in all 3 airports (the destination terminals in downtown Moscow are different, though).
From my experience, immigration in SVO is faster (no chances of a 30+ minute wait except maybe NY/holidays; in DME and VKO it happens from time to time on the inbound). Also DME seems to be ALWAYS overcrowded, while SVO-D feels empty.
Another problem in VKO is that it hosts the <strike>royal</strike> governmental fleet, which sometimes leads to delays for regular flights.

However, if the BA flights fit your schedule - DME is not that bad to avoid it.

Last edited by Temedar; Feb 25, 2014 at 8:50 am Reason: Added info on VKO
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Been to Moscow a dozen times, and your favoured DME had me seeing the worst immigration lines I ever saw, luckily in transit only August 2013. Even that was hard enough with those lines. But with the only proper intra Europe F cabin it was worth it. SVO has for the most part improved every year. But its still Russia.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Thanks. I went through DME as usual and it was a breeze. Through Immi and picked up my bags in less than 15 minutes. However it must be borne in mind that it was a Sunday before a Monday holiday so it was probably quieter than usual.

Was able to buy my Aeroexpress ticket in the baggage collection area and got a "tourist SIM" between baggage an AeroEx.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:45 pm

I was back last week.

Some observations :

- Moscow is a little light on foreigners these days, the immigration lines tend to be long getting out vs coming in. The irony. As usual lines can be hit or miss. if I need to be in the city at a specific time, I consult two factors

*flights on widebodies coming from places like Phuket, Bangkok etc. If you arrive around the same time as these planes, expect long lines. Avoid arriving at the same time.
*time of day and traffic. All the airports have train access, I usually cab it from the station. T

- DME has become more chaotic due to more and more flights operated by Russian discount carriers and charter flights to places like BCN. Delays.
A lot more than in the past. This will intensity even further when the Russian school year breaks for the summer.

- Arriving in SVO is easy, the long walk to the train being the only annoyance. However, if you are departing around the same time at the flight to Bangkok, Havana, Cancun watch out for the long lines trying to get in the terminal ( security screen). Unlike DME, SVO only has 1 major entrance from the train with 2 or 3 x ray machines. Bottleneck. I've almost missed my flight a few times because of this. Also : the shops at SVO tend to be better.

- VKO is underutilized at the moment, and is quite tranquil. However, its light on choices to international places on foreign carriers (at the moment) . Temedar is correct, VKO is home to the Kremlin fleet. If they want to go somewhere, everything stops.

All things equal, I actually prefer SVO to arrive, DME to depart. At the end of the day it depends where you need to be in Moscow and what suits you needs best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.