Sochi 2014 - Journalists live-tweet their hotel experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Post Sochi 2014 - Journalists live-tweet their hotel experiences

Some amusing hotel "review" tweets...

Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...l-experiences/

...reporters from around the world are starting to check into local hotels — to their apparent grief. Some journalists arriving in Sochi are describing appalling conditions in the housing there, where only six of nine media hotels are ready for guests. Hotels are still under construction. Water, if it’s running, isn’t drinkable.
I'm hoping this is not the trend people will face in the coming weeks! No internet might be a luxury for some (right?! Oh wait, it's the digital age!), but hot water is a bit of necessity I think...especially in the winter!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
More here (in Russian but the pics tell most of the story)
http://www.theinsider.com.ua/lifesty...iadoi-v-sochi/
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold
The picture of dual toilets is all over the net
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by alik99
The picture of dual toilets is all over the net
Yes, I've seen those for the last week or so.

I think it was more the "dog in the bed" and the other tweets / stories that got my attentin!

Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The dual toilets are all over because they didn't have time to install a partition between the two. The question I have is how could have someone designed a stall so small?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the coverage I've seen of this on TV makes me wonder whether some of these journalists have little foreign travel experience. They should know, and not be surprised, that one should not drink the tap water in Russia, although it shouldn't be brown or yellow either for showers and baths. They should also have seen bathrooms beefore with the trash can for used toilet paper, which is common in Turkey for example. It reminds me of the cable news journalists, IIRC covering Iraq, going on and on about shoes being thrown at some statue in a parade and obviously not having a clue what this meant.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some of the coverage I've seen of this on TV makes me wonder whether some of these journalists have little foreign travel experience. They should know, and not be surprised, that one should not drink the tap water in Russia, although it shouldn't be brown or yellow either for showers and baths. They should also have seen bathrooms beefore with the trash can for used toilet paper, which is common in Turkey for example. It reminds me of the cable news journalists, IIRC covering Iraq, going on and on about shoes being thrown at some statue in a parade and obviously not having a clue what this meant.
Totally agree. This is making the foreign journalists look like hayseeds. Plenty of countries have plumbing systems that can't handle toilet paper.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:27 pm

All these reporters have no context to what they are reporting. Is this their first trip to Russia? If they poked around further, they should find out why the hotels were never finished.

I decided to take a step back and think then it occurred to me : the federal government put a limit on how much the hotels are able to charge during the Olympics. I saw a chart somewhere, on the Moscow Times I believe. The numbers look low for Russia. REALLY LOW.

For example : The maximum rate allowed per day for a suite at a 5 star hotel is 11000 rubles. ( about 300 dollars)

That seams ludicrous : In MOW a room of that class would go for multiples of that. Heck, 11000 won't get you a room ( during the weekday) at the Ukrania or Park Hyatt for example, much less a suite.

No wonder the Hyatt Sochi never got finished!

If you were the owner, would you spend all the money to finish construction knowing that the maximum rate you could charge per night is 11000 rubles?
( for a suite ! ) . I think not, especially not in a place where literally EVERYTHING has to be imported.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by Palal
The dual toilets are all over because they didn't have time to install a partition between the two. The question I have is how could have someone designed a stall so small?
A midget maybe?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by koreanair720
Plenty of countries have plumbing systems that can't handle toilet paper.
Yeah, right... However, the plumbing system in the good old USSR could handle toilet paper just fine. Actually, in most Russian homes it still can. So, I really do not think it was intended to be like this.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by meFIRST
If you were the owner, would you spend all the money to finish construction knowing that the maximum rate you could charge per night is 11000 rubles? ( for a suite ! ) . I think not, especially not in a place where literally EVERYTHING has to be imported.
You are forgetting one thing: the Olympic Games will come and go, but the hotels (and toilets) will remain So, you either invest now in a good quality equipment or you have to spend even more later to bring those toilets up to standards. He-he...
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by meFIRST
No wonder the Hyatt Sochi never got finished!
If you were the owner, would you spend all the money to finish construction knowing that the maximum rate you could charge per night is 11000 rubles?
( for a suite ! ) . I think not, especially not in a place where literally EVERYTHING has to be imported.
Nothing would've changed even if they could charge a million per night. Who needs all these Hyatts, Mariotts, etc. after the Olympics?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:52 pm

Well me for one ( and no I won't pay 1 million. LOL. Please don't give the hotel owners ideas)

Part of the reason why I did not go was because I could not get a hotel room. Also, who wants to stay in a ship.

Lets also not forget, the G8 meeting this summer is coming up.

An alternative besides the tired Radisson is needed. This may not be a problem for VVP but the rest of us need a place to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.