Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Going to the Olympics? State Dept. Issues Travel Warning for Sochi

Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

I would love to go to another Olympics but Sochi seems to be more risky than my trip to the Atlanta games after the bombing.

Then again, Atlanta didn't have a new anti-gay law, either.

An article from our news feed gave me pause:

U.S. Issues Travel Alert for Sochi Olympics

The U.S. State Department issued a travel alert on Friday warning U.S. citizens to remain vigilant when travelling to Sochi, Russia for the Winter Olympics.

The alert said that terrorists have called for attacks on the Olympics and reminded travelers that the quality and standards for medical care in the region “differ substantially from Western standards.”

The Caucasus Emirate, a Muslim separatist group viewed as a terrorist organization, has threatened to attack the Olympics and, in the past three months, three suicide bombings have occurred in Volgograd, a nearby city….

<SNIP>
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:55 pm

Suck it up
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:45 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this concerns the 2014 Olympics site and travel to that area, please follow as the thread moves to the Russia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
The State Department tends to be overly cautious. On one side there is a much larger amount of potential terror groups in and around Russia than in other locales. On the other side, the Russian govt can be more aggressive in its investigations of potential threats and it's motivated by the potential of bad PR to do so.

As to Russian medical standards, it's true they differ in both good and bad ways.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:59 pm

Really?

Maybe the rates will come down and I will actually have a room vs a ship.

I could go but I hate crowds.

I do intend to visit and use the facilities when everyone is gone. Hopefully VV government will maintain the facilities, but I imagine a lot of it will end up being abandoned. Think Athens Olympics 2004
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I expect there will be a lot of police uniformed and in plain clothes, maybe comparable to the spectators in numbers. Its probably going to be safe in Sochi itself, not sure about the rest of the region.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Terrorists only need to succeed on one of their schemes. The risk is real. I really enjoyed the Vancouver Olympics but knew I would skip the Sochi games for a number of reasons, incl security.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Slipless
I expect there will be a lot of police uniformed and in plain clothes, maybe comparable to the spectators in numbers. Its probably going to be safe in Sochi itself, not sure about the rest of the region.
I guess for those few weeks, it would be unwise to be a brown person with a backpack or puffy coat.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:01 am

leavingthebest

I haven’t seen so many Police in Russia before visiting Sochi. They checked my documents for five times a day! And I couldn’t say that it annoyed me. May be first time in Russia I felt safe. But at the same time I did not plan to make frequent police checks part of my daily life. So, after I started to leave in a room my bag and camera police doesn’t check me more. To tell the truth people in Russia do not trust to police and very often emit negative energy on police officers. As a result the Russian police have become accustomed to this attitude and haven’t expects good from citizens. So if during you trip to Sochi you will contact with Police I recommend you to be very positive and friendly. More information you can see fo free in leavingthebest.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.