Search

Traveling to St. Petersburg from Helsinki

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Traveling to St. Petersburg from Helsinki

Hey All,

I'm sure you may have seen this sort of question regarding the ferry vs. cruise ship. I've read up about all of that on various websites and just want to make sure I am correct.

Two friends and I are looking to ferry from Helsinki to St. Petersburg, but we were wondering if we can fly out of the St. Petersburg Airport back to Zurich. Or do we have to take the ferry back to Helsinki and then fly from Helsinki.

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:13 pm

If you want to go to St. Petersburg without a visa, then you would have to depart by ferry too. You don't have to go back Helsinki, so if you find some lowcost from Tallinn, it would work as well.

If you are going to St. Petersburg with a Russian visa, then you can enter and depart Russia by any transportation mode.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
3 days visa-free is nice, but you'll have to endure 2 nights on the ferry - I'd say one night is managable, but I shudder at the thought of two.

Personally I'd just get a visa (76€ in HEL, ready in a few days, hassle-free - 24 hrs service also available for some extra) and take the excellent Allegro train - it's a 3 hrs ride from downtown to downtown.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
3 days visa-free is nice, but you'll have to endure 2 nights on the ferry - I'd say one night is managable, but I shudder at the thought of two.
Is it an official requirement? I wonder if the government can make sure ferry passengers really go back to the ferry every night.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by König
Is it an official requirement? I wonder if the government can make sure ferry passengers really go back to the ferry every night.
Those two nights would be voyages between Helsinki and St. Petersburg. I still haven't tried it myself, but what I've heard it is quite far from luxury cruise.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You may spend your nights anywhere in SPb, but you must leave the country by ferry, which is a overnight adventure.

I wish I could just take the Allegro express back, 3 hrs downtown to dowtown, but not possible on a visa free cruise.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kallio
Those two nights would be voyages between Helsinki and St. Petersburg. I still haven't tried it myself, but what I've heard it is quite far from luxury cruise.
So, if this is true, then you can never stay up to 72 hours without a visa. Do you see a contradiction here? I still think a person may stay anywhere in St. Petersburg as long as the arrival and departure are done on a ferry.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:32 am

So, if this is true, then you can never stay up to 72 hours without a visa. Do you see a contradiction here? I still think a person may stay anywhere in St. Petersburg as long as the arrival and departure are done on a ferry.
Voyages are not counted into those 72 hours and you can stay anywhere while in town. The thing is that every visa-exempt cruise takes at least one night both ways and that was what WilcoRoger was complaining about.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kallio
Voyages are not counted into those 72 hours and you can stay anywhere while in town. The thing is that every visa-exempt cruise takes at least one night both ways and that was what WilcoRoger was complaining about.
Got it, thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:28 pm
Suspended

question for some friends. They are going on a week+ cruise which will be in StP for 2 nights. I took it that they wont need a Visa but someone told them they will. and therefore have to stick to whatever shore excursion tours the ship has. Is that the case and they wont be able to go on their own?

also does anyone know where the ships dock?
Old May 11, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by craz

also does anyone know where the ships dock?
Depends on the size of the ship, but here's a map:

http://cruiseportwiki.com/StPetersburg
Old May 11, 2015, 11:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nanook
Depends on the size of the ship, but here's a map:

http://cruiseportwiki.com/StPetersburg
Thanks forwarded on to my friend, told him to checkout if his group (separate group on a large ship) will be using 1 of the tours where a Visa isnt needed
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by craz
... for 2 nights. I took it that they wont need a Visa but someone told them they will...
For stays up to 72 hours, which covers this visit, it depends. What is your friends' citizenship?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.