Direct flight Chicago-Moscow?

Subscribe
Hello,

I remember a few years back hearing news of a new direct Chicago-Moscow route on American. I'm trying to book a flight now on that route, but for the life of me, can't find it either on Kayak, Expedia, or American. Is it only on certain days?

Are there any other direct flights between the two?

Thanks!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...gone-good.html
It might return soon actually, since S7 has joined oneworld.
I couldn't understand by American cancelled that route. Maybe because their product is mediocre and sucks. ?

United flies this route on new config 767-300 from IAD and So does DL from ATL.

On my last flight, C and F cabin were oversold, some pax, including myself, were downgraded.
It would be great if this route returned.
Were AA to reopen MOW service I feel like DFW would make more sense, given the energy traffic between TX and Russia.
Quote: Were AA to reopen MOW service I feel like DFW would make more sense, given the energy traffic between TX and Russia.
SQ is already doing IAH-DME direct (777-300), not sure how much capacity that run can justify.

joe
Quote: SQ is already doing IAH-DME direct (777-300), not sure how much capacity that run can justify.

joe
Perhaps, but I could see a lot (on the TX end) boiling down to alliance loyalty. IAH is a major *A hub and DFW a major OW hub.

However, even as a diehard OW flyer and AA loyalist, if I had the funds or the employer allowing for premium cabin travel, I'd probably cheat on them for the chance to fly SQ to Russia. If I had to upgrade myself I'd probably be thankful I no longer had to fly via LHR and jump on the chance for a direct AA flight.
Quote: United flies this route on new config 767-300 from IAD and So does DL from ATL.
DL operates service to SVO from both ATL and JFK.
Quote: SQ is already doing IAH-DME direct (777-300), not sure how much capacity that run can justify.

joe
What do Texas and Russia have in common?
Quote: What do Texas and Russia have in common?
It's black, it's gooey and it doesn't correspond with selling out the coach cabin of the aircraft (so in assessing capacity, just look at J/F to know if it's a worthwhile flight to offer). I don't think it would be SQ flying that route if there weren't people willing to pay a significant premium for their service. I checked some random cities/dates including LAX, SFO and DFW (to compare connecting flights with connecting flights)) and SQ is almost always one of the most expensive (sometimes twice what other carriers are) in J.
Quote: It's black, it's gooey and it doesn't correspond with selling out the coach cabin of the aircraft (so in assessing capacity, just look at J/F to know if it's a worthwhile flight to offer).
I don't have any direct evidence, but I am willing to bet this flight does very, very well in the premium cabins.

There are also a good number of Russians willing to pay for whatever is considered the best, and I am willing to bet the flight does well to IAH and onward to SIN.
Quote: What do Texas and Russia have in common?
Both detest Georgia?
Quote: I don't have any direct evidence, but I am willing to bet this flight does very, very well in the premium cabins.

There are also a good number of Russians willing to pay for whatever is considered the best, and I am willing to bet the flight does well to IAH and onward to SIN.
It does. Y is often half empty. J and F full. [ take a look at availability day before departure ] Tomorrows flight is J0, Y9 . It kind of reminds me of the HKG-LAS route that SQ used to fly in the 90s.

IAH-DME is not cheap in J either. SQ charges a premium and IMHO, prints money on this route. I'm surprised CO is not flying IAH-DME, for some added competition.
Quote: I'm surprised CO is not flying IAH-DME, for some added competition.
Russia is not part of the Open Skies Agreement. Each new route must be approved by the governments of both Russia and the US; this is a process which can take years. If my memory serves me well it took AA 3 or 4 years to get a permission to fly ORD-DME route. Since they have not been actually making any regular flights for two years now, I understand they have lost their right to it and shoud they decide to resume flights, that'll be another couple of years of cutting through the red tape.
For a new kid on the block (and CO despite being a part of UA will be treated as a diferent carrier) would have to go through the whole process - 3 or 4 years that is.