Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Applying for a Russian Visa

Applying for a Russian Visa

Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:49 am
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Passport Expires in 2.5 Years: Multiple Visa?

My wife's passport expires in 2.5 years. Can she still get a multiple visa? I read somewhere (not official site) that the consulate will issue a multiple visa valid through expiration of passport minus six months. Any experience with this?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by a7m
My wife's passport expires in 2.5 years. Can she still get a multiple visa? I read somewhere (not official site) that the consulate will issue a multiple visa valid through expiration of passport minus six months. Any experience with this?
whom are you using in order to get the multiple visa? its not simply that you ask that they issue that instead of the 1 time Visa. Does ILS handle that and what do they charge for that alone. ILS charges a fee for each thing they have to do, the min is $33 then it goes up according to what extras you want them to do. This is in addition to the $140 for the Visa You will need the MO made out to them as well or bank check those are the only 2 things they accept for payment
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:07 am
a7m

Originally Posted by craz
whom are you using in order to get the multiple visa? its not simply that you ask that they issue that instead of the 1 time Visa.
I will apply through ILS, which is damn impossible to reach by phone. But...

I could not follow your post well (sorry!). When you say that "its not simply that you ask that they issue that instead of the 1 time," do you mean that it is not up to me whether I'll get a three-year visa. The ILS site actually says that I can specifically ask for a three-year visa (there is even a letter / form I can use to do that). The question is whether I can get a multiple visa with a passport that is set to expire in 2.5 years. Couldn't find anything on the ILS site about this.

The only information I could get is from a dubious site (this one), which states this: "Does your passport expire in less than 3.5 years? You can still get a multiple entry visa, but it will just be good for the life of your passport, less 6 months. So, for example, if your passport expires in 2.5 years, your Russian Visa would be valid for 2 years." Can I trust that?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by a7m
I will apply through ILS, which is damn impossible to reach by phone. But...

I could not follow your post well (sorry!). When you say that "its not simply that you ask that they issue that instead of the 1 time," do you mean that it is not up to me whether I'll get a three-year visa. The ILS site actually says that I can specifically ask for a three-year visa (there is even a letter / form I can use to do that). The question is whether I can get a multiple visa with a passport that is set to expire in 2.5 years. Couldn't find anything on the ILS site about this.

The only information I could get is from a dubious site (this one), which states this: "Does your passport expire in less than 3.5 years? You can still get a multiple entry visa, but it will just be good for the life of your passport, less 6 months. So, for example, if your passport expires in 2.5 years, your Russian Visa would be valid for 2 years." Can I trust that?
Ok the problem is you need to bring an Invite letter with you, your hotel will issue you 1 (like mine did) but Only for the time you will be staying with them. So flying into SPB staying a week and then going to Moskow the problem is your invite letter will only be good till the day you depart the hotel there are Agencys that handle letters where you will be staying longer then the time at your 1st hotel but they charge you for that invite letter. Was told the 3yr Visa costs even more. My hotel told me they cant help with the 3yr deal but Id need to contact an Agency to handle it. I went with the 1 timer

I believe didnt ask, if I came in with several Invite letters to cover every city I was going to go to then the Visa would exp on the last date of the last hotel I will be at. If not staying at hotels you will need an a agency for an invite letter

Not sure if ILS handles Invite letters

As for answering the phone not only dont they do that they dont return any VM left. You have to go down in person and they will help you once you are there

* just saw this on ILS's site; 3yr Multiple-entry Tourist visa:
For 3 yr multiple-entry Business, Humanitarian, Tourist, Private visas, an interview at the Consulate is required;
Copy of health insurance valid in Russia, covering the first trip.

I imagine that everyone would be required to go for the interview, they start at 2pm and is done by order of lining up

Copy of Ins policy, while with the 1 timer if a person puts down a brand name that should suffice eg Blue Cross, United Health Care They will want to see where on your policy it says you will be covered in Russia

Last edited by craz; Jun 18, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:14 pm
a7m

Originally Posted by a7m
I'll answer my own questions after visiting ILS and the Russian Consulate in NY.

1) ILS, where most people are encouraged to go to apply for visa, seem to be a nice place (no lines, quick service), but people who work there seem unsure about regulations. They are were not sure whether my wife qualified for a multiple visa. They thought that hotel tourist vouchers I had procured did not entitle her to one (even though the Consulate site says it was enough). So I headed to the Consulate the next day.

2) Consulate is a busier place, but I managed to get all the questions answered in an hour. The vouchers (copies I got by email) were accepted. One can also get a multiple "three-year" visa even if passport expires in 2.5 years. They simply issue a visa valid up to the expiration of the passport minus six months. Fair enough.

3) I applied for visa for my wife and daughter who were not with me (I do not need the visa), and it was not a problem at all.

Overall, visits to the Consulate are hit and miss. I have been there several times in the last twenty years. The last visit was a pleasant surprise. So is the one before. Of course you have to put up with some people's attitude, but I have encountered it in many consulates over the years (most recently French!) So if I have to review the consulate online somewhere, 4.5 stars. Maybe 5 stars. Definitely 5 stars for their professional handling of one moronic protester outside.

Last edited by a7m; Jul 10, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by a7m

2) Consulate is a busier place, but I managed to get all the questions answered in an hour. The vouchers (copies I got by email) were accepted. One can also get a multiple "three-year" visa even if passport expires in 2.5 years. They simply issue a visa valid up to the expiration of the passport minus six months. Fair enough.
Did they require that you show them your health ins policy? I take it since you were there that sufficed for the mandatory interview? To get the 3yr Visa did you have to provide anything extra besides the extra $$

SPB was nice but as I figured I didnt get everything I wanted in, some due to misinfo given to me at my 1st hotel, what was closed when so I changed my plans only to find out had I kept to it I would have gotten it all in
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:56 pm
a7m

Originally Posted by craz
Did they require that you show them your health ins policy? I take it since you were there that sufficed for the mandatory interview? To get the 3yr Visa did you have to provide anything extra besides the extra $$

SPB was nice but as I figured I didnt get everything I wanted in, some due to misinfo given to me at my 1st hotel, what was closed when so I changed my plans only to find out had I kept to it I would have gotten it all in
Did it count as mandatory interview? Not sure. I was applying for my wife and daughter, who were not present.

Health insurance? I had bought a basic travel insurance for the time we go to SPB and was ready to show it, but the interviewer said he didn't want to see it.

Anything extra for the 3-year visa? Not really. I gave them a) the hotel voucher (which actually said "single trip" on it), b) two copies of the questionnaire, and c) two photographs for each person. For some reason I was also asked to give a copy of my Russian passport, even though I was not the one applying and I was requesting a tourist (not homestay) visa for my wife and child. I didn't bring a money order with me, since I was not sure the docs would be accepted, but the interviewer said I could go and get one once he reviews the papers. I was then given helpful information on where to get money orders by the surly looking but pretty efficient security guard, who let me back in without requiring me to stay in line when I returned with money orders 10 minutes later.

Other important detail: when filling out the questionnaire online, make sure you specify that you will be applying at the consulate rather than ILS. Some people showed up with questionnaires intended for ILS, and they were not even allowed into the consulate by the guard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.