Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Border Belarus/Russia closed for foreigners!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold

Pickung up my posting in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russi...nd-flight.html

The border between Belarus and Russia can only be crossed, if holding a Russian or Belarussian passport. Having a Russian and Belarussian visa as foreigner is not sufficient anymore. This applies to air travel between Belarus and Russia, as well.
Although there are no permanent physical border checkpoints between both countries, random checks can always happen.
This is a very unfortunate development.

The Austrian Foreign ministry has a current warning on their website.
https://www.bmeia.gv.at/reise-aufent.../land/belarus/

Ein Transit durch Belarus aus der oder in die Russische Föderation ist weder auf dem Landweg (Straße oder Bahn) noch auf dem Luftweg möglich.
A transit through Belarus from or into the Russian Federation is neither possible by land (road or train), nor by air travel.
I would consider an official warning by the Austrian government as a pretty authoritative and reliable source.

The statement is supported by a warning by the German foreign ministry:

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/La...heit_node.html

Allgemeine Reiseinformationen

Im Reiseverkehr an der Grenze zur Russischen Föderation ist es in letzter Zeit zu Zurückweisungen von Reisenden aus Drittstaaten gekommen, da die dortigen Grenzübergänge rechtlich nur für die Nutzung von russischen und belarussischen Staatsangehörigen zugelassen sind. Dies hat auch Auswirkungen auf Flug- und Bahnreisen über Belarus in die Russische Föderation und umgekehrt. Der Güterverkehr war bisher nicht betroffen. Russische Regierungsstellen haben das geänderte Grenzregime an der russisch-belarussischen Grenze bestätigt. Um Zurückweisungen an den russischen Grenzstellen zu vermeiden, wird bis auf Weiteres empfohlen, nicht über Belarus in die Russische Föderation und umgekehrt zu reisen.
You may use google translate. The language is pretty clear.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:20 pm

I can confirm that it is still no problem to travel from Russia to Belarus (with the correct visas, of course), but that there is a near-total check and prohibition of third-country citizens when crossing the road border from Belarus to Russia.

Flying between Minsk and Moscow is completely acceptable for all nationals with appropriate documents and I believe the train is too -- notwithstanding the Austrian comments.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Worth asking: The main Moscow-Warsaw-Berlin[-Paris] train runs via this route, so what is the impact on that? It would seem rather odd to run a train to Warsaw and Berlin which Poles and Germans could not legally travel on (though I recognize that presuming any sense in border crossing policies is often a fallacy, even in North America).
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I doubt many Poles and Germans are using that train to travel from Berlin/Warsaw to Moscow due to the requirement of needing a transit visa for Belarus (in addition).
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Worth asking: The main Moscow-Warsaw-Berlin[-Paris] train runs via this route, so what is the impact on that? It would seem rather odd to run a train to Warsaw and Berlin which Poles and Germans could not legally travel on (though I recognize that presuming any sense in border crossing policies is often a fallacy, even in North America).
Not only poles and german are living in germany/poland , there is a big turkish/ukrainian/russian diaspora there and for them this doesnt change anything
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
As i understood, starting this week are the new rules for European passport holders :
Visa can be done at arrival now BUT it's not available if to/from Russia because the russian immigration control is done at minsk airport and not in russia.

So for exemple :
KBP > minsk > KBP = you can stay in belarus with visa at arrival
KBP > minsk >SVO = you can't stay in belarus with visa at arrival, need a visa prior boarding or staying in transit area at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.