Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SU 106 Medical Emergency Landing in Iqaluit (YFB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Aeroflot 106 bound for LAX has had an emergency landing due to a passenger requiring immediate medical attention at my hospital of work in Iqaluit (YFB).

The flight will leave a few hours delayed from YFB at 21:08h.

Unfortunately, passengers won't be able to disembark as there is no staff to clear that many passengers.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:15 pm

Hi! Do you know the name of the passenger? I have husband on that flight and can't contact him. Please, let me know. katrin.kutepova (at) gmail.com
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by katrin.kutepova
Hi! Do you know the name of the passenger? I have husband on that flight and can't contact him. Please, let me know. katrin.kutepova (at) gmail.com
The medical person won't be able to release that information due to privacy laws. You should contact the airline.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:30 pm

They said nothing (( What's the name of the hospital? Can I call them?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:42 pm
Suspended

http://www.gov.nu.ca/health/informat...neral-hospital

The number is listed above.

There is likely only limited cell service at that small town, so I wouldn't worry that your husband hasn't contacted you. Please don't get worried about this, the chances are that it was some other passenger.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:46 pm

Thank you so much!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...luit-1.3257521
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:14 pm

You saved my life! Thank you!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by MaHa
Aeroflot 106 bound for LAX has had an emergency landing due to a passenger requiring immediate medical attention at my hospital of work in Iqaluit (YFB).
Just wondering - do you guys have a cardiac cath lab there?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just wondering - do you guys have a cardiac cath lab there?
We don't have a fully designated cath lab here, but we do have CT scan. We have quite a bit of services for the city's population (7500) due to the remoteness of our territory we cover. For example, we run a full service laboratory (my job here), diagnostic imaging, TB lab, ER, Surgery etc. We do often refer complicated patients to Ottawa, about 3.5~4.5 hour plane ride away, so it does becoming harrowing for patients at times. It is quite an expensive operation. A scheduled flight from Iqaluit to Ottawa will set back a passenger $2400 roundtrip. A Medivac plane costs tens of thousands to run. This is definitely a good case for getting travel insurance!

Since we have quite a large runway here (ex-US military base), this is a designated emergency stop. Airbus also runs a lot of coldweather testing so A380s and A350s have been landing in our town.

Last edited by MaHa; Oct 6, 2015 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM or DM for 24 years, SkyClub: Lifetime, Delta Million Miler
I was on the flight. They have never had a Russian Boeing 777 land in their village....

Last edited by renhelm; Oct 6, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Thanks Maha. I always wonder what is available in the Great White North in terms of medical diversion since so many flights from the US and Canada take the "polar" route to Europe, etc. Even without a cath lab, it sounds like thrombolytics would be available and the patient could be stabilized. Good to know!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Thanks Maha. I always wonder what is available in the Great White North in terms of medical diversion since so many flights from the US and Canada take the "polar" route to Europe, etc. Even without a cath lab, it sounds like thrombolytics would be available and the patient could be stabilized. Good to know!
We have a great facility! Just do not forget the travel insurance!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by renhelm
I was on the flight. They have never had a Russian Boeing 777 land in their village....
We did have a Delta 777 a couple years back!

I'll have to find a way to upload pictures I took on Monday!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM or DM for 24 years, SkyClub: Lifetime, Delta Million Miler
Maha, any idea if the woman is OK? I guess there was excitement in Iqaluit to see Aeroflot land and now I am one of the people that can say to have been to Iqaluit

Unloading the passenger didn't take very long, but refueling did. According to the captain, YFB would not refuel until full payment has been made in advance. Moscow had to wire cash before we could get on our way. We waited a long time before fueling began. There were other discussions among the crew members about being unable to work because of expiration of their work time. Crew also discussed not even flying to LAX because of work time limits. Passengers were patiently waiting for news. Meal service was cancelled but the flight continued. After 18 hours on that plane it was nice to get to Los Angeles, but my last connection to PDX was gone, which made another overnight necessary.

I started out at ZRH 10/4 10:35pm and got to PDX at 10/6 9:19am - Those 8272Miles (plus diversion Miles) took 43h 44min

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.