Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
@:-)*News updated at the OP*@:-)
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Russian airline travel down 9% for 2009... Aeroflot down as well but beats the national spread at only a 5% decline :

Link

... makes sense considering the state of national and global economy... also add in the recent improvements to the rail industry and I'd say Aeroflot's #'s are only slightly below expectations.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
@:-)*News updated at the OP*@:-)
Sweet!

And welcome to the mix fungirl! Where inside of Russia/onward do you fly?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by fungirl
Transaero site doesn't have anything loaded re MIA and JFK on their site.
There's an article in Russian which claims UN flights to MIA and JFK are a deal done and they are just waiting for the final okay from the Russian and the US authorities. Plan is to have 2 weekly flights on each route.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Gold, Le Club des Actionnaires
Aeroflot costs

Originally Posted by luitje
The main issue is that provided flight time from Moscow to LAX is around 13 hours, no one is really put off by a possible layover for a couple of hours on this route. Thus SU cannot charge premium for a direct flight (as it is not perceived as an advantage) and has to keep their prices really low to compete with the EU and US carriers. At the same time SU costs are significantly higher than competitors' hence the loss.
I think you're quite right about layovers on long routes. But why do you think SU costs are higher than competitors'? I'd think the weak ruble would have cut their personnel expenses and overhead quite significantly.

They have been coming up with the cheapest tickets on most of my routes, most of the time for about two years (I'm based in MOW.) I've put it down to cost leadership without checking it up.

The SU product is nothing exciting, but easily beats discount carriers while often matching their price. The bonus program is rather generous, with good availability of seats, and amazingly cheap and flexible business class bonus tickets. As an added benefit it is possible to cancel all russian-origin flights of any class for only 15€ fee!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by woody125
Sweet!

And welcome to the mix fungirl! Where inside of Russia/onward do you fly?
PEE (Perm) - the city tragically known lately for 9/14/2008 Aeroflot-Nord crash (all 88 people on board dead) and 12/5/2009 Lame Horse nightclub fire inferno (154 victims and still counting).
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by fungirl
PEE (Perm) - the city tragically known lately for 9/14/2008 Aeroflot-Nord crash (all 88 people on board dead) and 12/5/2009 Lame Horse nightclub fire inferno (154 victims and still counting).
Ah, Perm. The city with the funniest IATA code in all of Russia. It is so sad about the crash and nightclub fire. Each city of that size seems to have its tragedies for sure. I've got good friends in Perm who I've never visited. Someday...
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

News update (links provided in the OP)... Aeroflot & Cubana to partner ?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
News update (links provided in the OP)... Aeroflot & Cubana to partner ?
Hmmm, interesting... I remember SU mentioning they were going to base an A320 or two in HAV for routes to Central and South America a few years ago. Good to see they are still working on it
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Aeroflot's delivery of the new SuperJet 100 will be delayed until the end of the year.

LINK
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:36 am

Aeroflot's delivery of the new SuperJet 100 will be delayed until the end of the year.

LINK
Do we know of anyone else who has placed any orders for those? I'm curious about S7 or UTAir.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_...rs_and_options
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:55 pm

Another SU Gold Member in the post above me (and thank you for the link). It might be time for a SU Bonus Silver/Gold/Prime roll call in a thread all its own.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Moscow - Hong Kong is going to get a face lift via Cathay Airlines.

http://www.irasia.com/listco/hk/cath...ss/p100210.htm
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:43 am

Moscow - Hong Kong is going to get a face lift via Cathay Airlines.

http://www.irasia.com/listco/hk/cath...ss/p100210.htm
So the codeshare with SU goes away and their new service will only be to DME I suppose. That kinda negates any personal advantage to me at least until S7 completes their OW transition. Still nice to see major carriers looking at Russia as a desired destination.

Now if we can just get one of them to stop at OVB from SE Asia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.