Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Marriott Platinum Benefits at Ritz Carlton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Platinum Benefits at Ritz Carlton

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
What is most galling to me is that you don't receive points for meals, etc. at a RC. It's one thing to expect a free breakfast, it's quite another to get zero points for shelling out $25 - $50 for breakfast....

Billy
Wow - who knew RC was a sub-brand of CY

I don't normally stay at RCs, but it would definitely make me angry to not receive points on meals & other incidentals given the price tag of RC offerings.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
.Most of them have offered to let me try their club lounge for $100/day. No thanks!
When we stayed at the Cayman RC, I think they offered something similar (i.e. ocean view and CL) for $100/night. We almost bit on it. They let us visit the room they would have moved us to and the view was excellent. But we decided to spend our money on other things and eat at local restaurants instead of the RC.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Note that if you are paying $600 - $1000 per night, the $25-$50 may not mean quite as much.

And I would guess the purpose of giving points for room charges is to help drive more of those. I would also guess Marriott looked at the spending patterns for the RC clientele and decided that the points wouldn't drive more local hotel spending.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

I don't normally stay at RCs, but it would definitely make me angry to not receive points on meals & other incidentals given the price tag of RC offerings.

Cheers.
At most of the RCs I've been to; you're a bit of a captive audience at the hotel (typically, resort properties). It doesn't shock me that they don't give points. They probably don't see it driving incremental revenue.

I don't like it -- but it is what it is.

A strategy to get around this is to book a package that includes a resort credit. For example, I've seen regualar rooms at Puerto Rico for like $369, but you can get the same room with a $100 a night resort credit for $469. If you're going to spend money at the hotel anyway, you might as well bake the cost into your room rate and earn some points.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TommyC80
A strategy to get around this is to book a package that includes a resort credit. For example, I've seen regualar rooms at Puerto Rico for like $369, but you can get the same room with a $100 a night resort credit for $469. If you're going to spend money at the hotel anyway, you might as well bake the cost into your room rate and earn some points.
Same reason to book club level or stay for breakfast rate. There are ways to get points credit for these, and every RC I have looked at has rates that include breakfast as an available option.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Note that if you are paying $600 - $1000 per night, the $25-$50 may not mean quite as much.

And I would guess the purpose of giving points for room charges is to help drive more of those. I would also guess Marriott looked at the spending patterns for the RC clientele and decided that the points wouldn't drive more local hotel spending.
True, but my guess is most who are involved w/ the loyalty program have signed up because they want to earn points. So whether it's RC or regular Marriott, they'd want points for all spend.

I agree w/ you that the normal RC clientele that pays $600-1000 on a room on a regular basis might not care as much, but we're talking points hounds here

Originally Posted by TommyC80
At most of the RCs I've been to; you're a bit of a captive audience at the hotel (typically, resort properties). It doesn't shock me that they don't give points. They probably don't see it driving incremental revenue.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Same reason to book club level or stay for breakfast rate. There are ways to get points credit for these, and every RC I have looked at has rates that include breakfast as an available option.
Both good strategies.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a Platinum Premier, I've been given a junior suite at a RC. It was Club level, but I booked Club level and paid for my lounge access, which RC does not give away.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA
There are about ~80 Ritz Carlton's, IMHO if all Marriott Gold's and Plat's in the system were to have access to the RC Club lounge and club room inventory, that would put unnecessary revenue pressures on a property because they wouldn't have the inventory to sell those room types and then margins would be affected on the F&B allocation. Also, it would impact the revenues of the owners of RC hotels and then why would they want to invest in them?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:39 pm

sarge makes a valid point in this post, which is the other thread asking about elite bennies at RCs.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19331812-post9.html

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sarge
There are about ~80 Ritz Carlton's, IMHO if all Marriott Gold's and Plat's in the system were to have access to the RC Club lounge and club room inventory, that would put unnecessary revenue pressures on a property because they wouldn't have the inventory to sell those room types and then margins would be affected on the F&B allocation. Also, it would impact the revenues of the owners of RC hotels and then why would they want to invest in them?
At most RCs, the difference in rates between a room with lounge access and the same room without lounge access is at least about $100 per person per night, sometimes $150. This holds in properties that don't have dedicated club floors, so there is no difference in the room or its amenities. This is a lot to expect to be comped as an elite benefit, especially without any inventory restrictions.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:25 pm

I've never been upgraded at a RC, and even the "standard room" upgrades are at best a view upgrade, not room size.

Most of them have offered to let me try their club lounge for $100/day. No thanks!

What is most galling to me is that you don't receive points for meals, etc. at a RC. It's one thing to expect a free breakfast, it's quite another to get zero points for shelling out $25 - $50 for breakfast....

Billy
I agree. And that is $50 per person for breakfast. Was at the nyc battery park ritz and breakfast for two was $90 every day. We only ate there bc we had discount package including free breakfast for one. Still a massive ripoff, even for nyc, and i was insulted i did not earn points for food or drink at ritz.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
That's not true. I am a PP --- I was given a suite upgrade and club lounge access on a two night stay at the Battery Park Ritz (which I LOVE)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As a Platinum Premier, I've been given a junior suite at a RC. It was Club level, but I booked Club level and paid for my lounge access, which RC does not give away.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by MrGB

For the record, I'm off to Dubai for my 2 week holiday (on points of course), but if I'm not treated like royalty, I'll be switching to another hotel chain next year.
This is off-topic but chances are you are already thinking about switching. I would say you probably should. Be decisive.

And unless you are actually royalty, don't expect to be treated as such.

Hope you have a good vacation. I wouldn't pick Dubai as a vacation spot, but then I'm not royalty.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
that's GR8 but it is NOT a PP perk that you can demand if the prop doesn't give it to you again...........
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
That's not true. I am a PP --- I was given a suite upgrade and club lounge access on a two night stay at the Battery Park Ritz (which I LOVE)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
that's GR8 but it is NOT a PP perk that you can demand if the prop doesn't give it to you again...........
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi
BKKLEE - You are right. I didn't ask for it to begin with and would never think of demanding it. I am incredibly pleasant, polite, and complimentary when I check into many hotels. I honestly think this is why I tend to get more upgrades than other PP's have reported. If I have my heart set on a specific room, then I purchase it so I don't have to deal with the disappointment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.