Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for winter get-away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for winter get-away

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Recommendations for winter get-away

I have three RC credit card complimentary nights that my wife and I would like to use for a get-away either around Xmas or February. (I know places will be more crowded around Xmas and we'll need to consider availability issues for some properties.) We're based in Oakland, California. I'm reading reviews here and at Tripadvisor, but would still welcome any recommendations for a warm-weather or at least pleasant-weather destination. Could be California or the Southwest, or could be as far away as Mexico. Preferably a non-urban destination. We'd be up for extending our stay past the three nights at the RC hotel or tacking on another location nearby.

Just in case anyone also knows the Fairmont hotels, I also have a few free nights with them if it's possible and recommended to combine a visit to a given Fairmont and RC near each other.

FWIW, I'm Marriott Platinum.

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I have three RC credit card complimentary nights that my wife and I would like to use for a get-away either around Xmas or February. (I know places will be more crowded around Xmas and we'll need to consider availability issues for some properties.) We're based in Oakland, California. I'm reading reviews here and at Tripadvisor, but would still welcome any recommendations for a warm-weather or at least pleasant-weather destination. Could be California or the Southwest, or could be as far away as Mexico. Preferably a non-urban destination. We'd be up for extending our stay past the three nights at the RC hotel or tacking on another location nearby.

Just in case anyone also knows the Fairmont hotels, I also have a few free nights with them if it's possible and recommended to combine a visit to a given Fairmont and RC near each other.

FWIW, I'm Marriott Platinum.

Thanks for any help!
Being in California, you could take a 5-hour flight to Maui and enjoy the Fairmont in Wailea and then move to a different part of the island and enjoy the beautiful Ritz-Carlton Kapalua (one of our favorites).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Being in California, you could take a 5-hour flight to Maui and enjoy the Fairmont in Wailea and then move to a different part of the island and enjoy the beautiful Ritz-Carlton Kapalua (one of our favorites).
Great idea, though I'm under the impression that Maui can be quite rainy Dec.-Feb. But I'll check into it further. Anyway, thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Great idea, though I'm under the impression that Maui can be quite rainy Dec.-Feb. But I'll check into it further. Anyway, thanks!
Have been to Maui (Ka'anapali area) many times in the Feb-Mar timeframe. Very light showers (such as mist) several days a week for a couple of hours. Only this past year did we witness a true downpour that lasted half a day.

Another plus for Maui in February is whale watching!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A belated thanks for this info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.