Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Marriot Reward Elite Status Not Honored at Ritz Carlton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriot Reward Elite Status Not Honored at Ritz Carlton

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:50 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by pinniped
I agree with your general premise that lounge access and elite recognition are MOST important on holidays. That's why I think Marriott's policy of no elite recognition at their "regular" resorts (not Ritz) is stupid. That policy has also been the single biggest driver of dozens of my business trips to Hilton over the years: solely to get the points/status needed to do Hilton resort stays once a year or so, even though I'd prefer to stay at Marriott in general.

My only point was about the Ritz lounges. Very different animal from a simple comped breakfast or a standard Marriott lounge. If they gave that away to every Marriott Gold in the hotel, they'd quickly have to devalue what's offered in the lounges, and we'd end up with...well...Ritz lounges that look like Marriott lounges.

I mean, I'd love it to be otherwise...but I don't really expect it. Plus there's still the credit card certificates if you really do like to take vacations at Ritz and want the lounge upgrade.
I agree with you, think the RC lounges are more of an AI thing, cannot understand why they offer it if RC are supposed to be so upmarket. High spending clients don't need lounges as they can afford to buy drinks in the bar, breakfast any any other sustenance but this is what they do. What they should offer is breakfast in at least non resort properties to elites. I would never book an RC property via Marriott as I ll get better benefits via Amex platinum travel, i.e. Upgrade free breakfast late check out etc
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP doesn't say which elite level, but some of them get free internet at RCs.
platinums also get their PAG of 1,000 points upon arrival.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I agree with your general premise that lounge access and elite recognition are MOST important on holidays. That's why I think Marriott's policy of no elite recognition at their "regular" resorts (not Ritz) is stupid. That policy has also been the single biggest driver of dozens of my business trips to Hilton over the years: solely to get the points/status needed to do Hilton resort stays once a year or so, even though I'd prefer to stay at Marriott in general.

My only point was about the Ritz lounges. Very different animal from a simple comped breakfast or a standard Marriott lounge. If they gave that away to every Marriott Gold in the hotel, they'd quickly have to devalue what's offered in the lounges, and we'd end up with...well...Ritz lounges that look like Marriott lounges.

I mean, I'd love it to be otherwise...but I don't really expect it. Plus there's still the credit card certificates if you really do like to take vacations at Ritz and want the lounge upgrade.
agree. i actually meant to highlight the MAR 'resort' issue, but forgot. seems Marriott will add the word 'Resort' to the name of a property, simply to avoid elite benefits. And, yes... agree that this pennywise shortsightedness drives loyalty to other brands and is a big reason us SPG Platinums fear what MAR will do to our properties after the honeymoon 'make nice' period ends. paid business trips don't 'need' a lot of perks- the company will pay for meals regardless, unless self employed (me). i really don't understand why MAR doesn't get that. puzzling.

unpopular with gold's, but imo, the generous gold benefits and the sheer # of gold's (especially now with merger; as achieving gold with SPG is so easy) will be/needs to be addressed. Mar needs better upgrades and perks for Plat, and maybe a second level of Plat for enhanced benefits.

that said, if i ran things, i'd have increased award night benefits for Plat only like full benefits @ 'resorts' and RC. if that were the case, a lot of people would shift stays to make Plat. win-win.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
unpopular with gold's, but imo, the generous gold benefits and the sheer # of gold's (especially now with merger; as achieving gold with SPG is so easy) will be/needs to be addressed. Mar needs better upgrades and perks for Plat, and maybe a second level of Plat for enhanced benefits.

that said, if i ran things, i'd have increased award night benefits for Plat only like full benefits @ 'resorts' and RC. if that were the case, a lot of people would shift stays to make Plat. win-win.
There's probably a higher number of Golds now than ever before because it's quite easy to achieve Gold under current SPG rules.

The qualification requirements for the combined program in 2018 have not yet been revealed. Presumably, anyone who qualifies under the old SPG or Rewards rules in 2017 will have that status in 2018. Then if Marriott's current Elite requirements -- Silver (10 nights), Gold (50 nights), Platinum (75 nights) -- remain, those SPG Gold members whose travel patterns don't change will find themselves at Silver in 2019.

Getting back to the subject of Ritz-Carlton, it would make sense to have the same benefits for all Luxury brands in the combined program. With 30 brands, let's hope Marriott builds its combined program around four (or maybe five) categories (Luxury, Premium, Select, Extended Stay, and possibly Vacation Villas), with consistent rules and benefits within each category, and without regard to Classic or Distinctive.

Last edited by Horace; Feb 21, 2017 at 11:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
however don't count on getting upgrades [at RC]...
Of course one can't "count on" getting status upgrades at any property, but upgrades are a published RC benefit for Marriott/RC plats and golds (but not to club level).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Of course one can't "count on" getting status upgrades at any property, but upgrades are a published RC benefit for Marriott/RC plats and golds (but not to club level).
How about upgrades if booked within club level? If I book a basic CL room as a plat, an upgrade to a CL suite seems possible. Has anyone experienced this?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ords
How about upgrades if booked within club level? If I book a basic CL room as a plat, an upgrade to a CL suite seems possible. Has anyone experienced this?
I wouldn't hold my breath for a suite upgrade. While suites are technically included as part of the upgrade pool for Plats, I'd bet your much more likely to get something like a better CL view room or a CL room on a higher floor, etc. than you will an upgrade to a suite room.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:18 am

It's highly unlikely. I've only received upgrades from a basic club room to a suite because I've stayed at the property many times, and even then it's a crapshoot.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Bumping this thread. I'm currently Marriott Gold planning a stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Jakarta this week. I will book a suite so lounge access is no concern, it comes with the suite.

My concern is, will they honor 4pm late checkout guarantee be applicable? I just gave them a call and the person answering told me that they *might* give a late checkout until 1-2pm, even after I told him of my Gold status. Later he told me it would be up to the manager on duty on the day of my stay. I'm just checking to see whether it will be within my rights to push for it during my stay if they still refuse then. Should I change my account to RC Rewards instead, would it improve my chances?

(PS: Not sure if this is relevant, but JW Marriott Jakarta and Ritz-Carlton Jakarta Mega Kuningan belong to the same owner. In fact, they're across the street from each other. Perhaps they're more understanding of each other's program?)
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The T&Cs for late check-outs with RC is the same wording as with Marriott hotels. And it includes the same exclusion around resorts and convention hotels. So yes, in general Gold/Plats are guaranteed 4pm late checkout. So I guess the question is if the Jakarta RC is considered a "resort" hotel or not.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The T&Cs for late check-outs with RC is the same wording as with Marriott hotels. And it includes the same exclusion around resorts and convention hotels. So yes, in general Gold/Plats are guaranteed 4pm late checkout. So I guess the question is if the Jakarta RC is considered a "resort" hotel or not.
Thank you hhoope01. I used Marriott app to request 4pm check out when doing online check in, and it did the trick. My request was honored without any issue.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:26 pm
kkl

RC HK - Booked base room, received upgrade to grand deluxe seaview. no harbour view. 4pm late checkout proactively offered
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Yes, at the Ritz Aruba we had a club room and were upgraded to a Club Executive Suite and were Ritz Gold at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.