Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City (Arlington VA) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Everything -- lately United 1K*G, Marriott Pt, National XElite

I haven't seen this mentioned, but I wanted to point people to this gem. First off, in general it's pricey ($500+ per night). But, occasionally you can find a good rate (government rate, anyone? :-) and then this is a great find.

Right on top of a metro stop (yellow line), just a few minutes from DCA (Reagan National Airport), and minutes from the Capitol Mall and all the government buildings. Built onto the side of a mall with other shopping/food in walking distance, there are plenty of shopping and restaurant options. Plus, the amenities are absolutely top notch. The rooms are very well appointed, and the staff are pleasant, helpful, and quite responsive to your needs.

You won't be able to use your status to get access to the club level, or lounge, but you can get an upgraded room on non-club levels. I give it ^^ and will come back whenever I can.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Pentagon City is in Arlington, VA, not Washington, DC.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
See posts and at least one review of this property in both Marriott-family hotels in Washington DC area and Marriott-family hotels in Arlington, VA threads.

Personally, I do not think highly of the property.

David
Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
See posts and at least one review of this property in both Marriott-family hotels in Washington DC area and Marriott-family hotels in Arlington, VA threads.

Personally, I do not think highly of the property.

David
I agree. We like Tysons much better for a weekend getaway.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
I stayed here for 4 nights using a club level upgrade cert. Thought it was great. Paid like $160 a night though. It's a little dated, but all the staff was great, especially the lounge staff.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by catocony
Pentagon City is in Arlington, VA, not Washington, DC.
of all the things to comment about. good grief.
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
of all the things to comment about. good grief.
There are two Ritz-Carleton properties in Washington, DC. This property is neither of them. It's across the river in Virginia, and is not marketed as a Washington, DC RC. Neither is the one in Tysons Corner. So as to avoid confusion, keeping properties in large metro areas separate is important.

Would you call a hotel in Newark NJ as being in New York City?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You all do realize you could just contact the mod & ask him to change the title of the thread vs. beating up the OP, right?

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:58 am
Original Poster

There are two Ritz-Carleton properties in Washington, DC. This property is neither of them. It's across the river in Virginia, and is not marketed as a Washington, DC RC. Neither is the one in Tysons Corner. So as to avoid confusion, keeping properties in large metro areas separate is important.

Would you call a hotel in Newark NJ as being in New York City?
Right you are. Very sorry for my mistake!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You all do realize you could just contact the mod & ask him to change the title of the thread vs. beating up the OP, right?

Cheers.
As the OP, I tried to change the title and couldn't...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
and is not marketed as a Washington, DC RC.
While I agree with you, it is marketed as a DC property on the Ritz website (http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels). If you didn't know the DC area well, it could be deceiving.

I've been tempted to stay here because it's a Ritz and it is on top of the Metro. However, I do find it inconvenient enough not to stay there if you need to be in downtown DC. Plus, the rooms don't seem like a standard Ritz (bathrooms and rooms themselves seem smaller).
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:41 pm

For the next year, Metro is going to be pretty dicey. I don't recommend staying at a property just because of Metro access before checking the SafeTrack schedule. Entire segments of lines are shutting down for weeks at a time for major reconstruction.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
I'd like to throw in my two cents on the Ritz in Pentagon City. Like all Ritz properties the hard product is 5*. From the bedding to bathrooms, TVs to furniture, you'll know you are in a Ritz Carlton, and you'll know the quality is there in all aspects. Now, what sets THIS property apart from Tysons and DC are the staff. Especially the front desk and Club Lounge. Yes it's nice to be known by name (I've stayed here in excess of 50 different trips, probably well over 150 nights) but the staff at this property are really tremendous and make all guests feel great about staying at this property. There is nothing the Ladies and Gentleman at the Ritz Pentagon City won't do to ensure your stay is as comfortable or (usually in my case) as productive as possible. And when there are challenges encountered which invariably happen, the staff are empowered to FIX whatever issue you have. It's a nice feeling not to have to call 5 different times or speak to 5 different staff members when or if there are issues. If i'm going to DC for work, I stay here. If I were going to DC for pleasure, I'd stay here as well. Love this place!!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:08 am

Had a stay last weekend with one night in the Tysons corner property and one night at Pentagon. Both stays were in Executive Suites with a breakfast included package (Tysons gives a-la carte with a $60 limit for 2 people while Pentagon is buffet only).

Between the two, I'll give my vote to the Tysons Ritz as enjoyed the stay there more overall. The room was slightly bigger and felt more modern. Also the a-la carte breakfast was very nice as well while at Pentagon found the buffet to be lacking in variety (no pancakes, waffles, and just 1 hot dish besides potatoes and sausage/bacon). Of course the mall the Tysons is attached to is much nicer for upscale dining options compared to Pentagon.

Officially Tysons is classified as a 4 star property while Pentagon is a 5. I cant understand why given Tysons has a spa as well as a jacuzzi by the main pool both of which aren't in the Pentagon property.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City Makes a Mistake, Then More Than Makes Up for It

Yesterday I checked into this hotel for a 3-night club level stay. It was a typically friendly check-in, asked for my ID and credit card, etc. The front desk associate confirmed that I would be here for 2 nights, but I told her no, it was a 3-night stay. She asked if I had a copy of my confirmation e-mail, which I did not, but I looked up the reservation in the app, and it showed only 2 nights! Now sometimes I'm a bit scatterbrained, but I knew this reservation was for 3 nights. She then asked to confirm my rate, which was also wrong, but luckily the app still showed my original rate. After many puzzled looks and typing on her computer, plus checking various things with her colleague, she found my original 3-night reservation and room rate, gave me my keys, and sent me up to my room which had been generously upgraded to an executive club-level suite.

I went into the room, walked through the living area to the bedroom, and saw someone else's suitcase and clothes on the bed. In all my thousands of nights in hotels this has never happened to me before, but you read about it often enough here that I didn't freak out, I just backed out of the room and went back down to the front desk. As you can imagine, they were horrified despite me assuring them that mistakes happen, it's not the end of the world, and all that. After a bunch more puzzled looks and typing, they confirmed my name, credit card number, and mailing address. At that point, the other front desk associate admitted she had checked "Mr. DJ_Iceman" into his room earlier in the day. My name is not that common, so it would truly be a remarkable coincidence if someone else with my name happened to be checking into the same hotel on the same day as me. I'm guessing his name was close to mine but not quite exact, but she accidentally gave him my room. No harm, no foul--they issue new keys and I head back up to my new room.

Well, it wasn't a suite. And I'm traveling by myself so it was really no big deal, but I went back down to the front desk just to see if they had any other suites available, which they did not. They were falling all over themselves apologizing, but again I assured them it was no big deal, that I would have loved a suite but wasn't paying for one so it was fine. They offered to send up a bottle of champagne, but I politely declined because 1) I'm not going to drink a whole bottle of champagne by myself before it goes flat and, 2) I was on the club level so could get complimentary alcohol anyway. They asked what else they could do "to make it right", and again I assured them nothing was necessary. They offered bonus points or a discount on my rate, and I told them either would be graciously accepted but they really didn't have to. They promised to speak with the GM the next day (today) and that they would get back to me.

About an hour later they called my room, told me they had been in contact with the GM, they would be discounting my first night by $200, and that they had a suite available for my last two nights if I didn't mind moving rooms. I thanked them profusely and said that would be wonderful. So this morning I packed my bag, went to the bell desk on my way out for the day, and left my bag with them. Actually, the front desk had asked me to leave the bag in the room to be transferred to the new room, but I was honestly a little afraid that it would disappear or be delivered to the other DJ_Iceman's room or whatever, so I felt more comfortable giving it to the bell staff and at least getting a claim check for it.

So this afternoon I returned to the hotel and went back to the front desk, where the same two associates were working as last night. They asked how I was enjoying the new room, and I told them I had been out all day and hadn't even gotten my keys to it yet. One of them beamed and asked to take care of getting me my new keys, then asked if I had a few dozen friends I could invite over to entertain in my room. You probably guessed it--they upgraded me to the Ritz-Carlton suite for my final two nights. It's the kind of thing where I wish my family was here with me to enjoy the opulence and size of the suite, but then I wouldn't have wanted them to go through the hassle yesterday (which would have been a hassle had they been with me as opposed to me traveling by myself this time). I was profuse in my thanks, and they continued to apologize for the mix-up.

In the end, I think we're all happy. It just goes to show that sometimes being gracious when an honest mistake is made will result in good karma coming back to you. I could have been a jerk about the whole thing, and demanded compensation. Who knows what I would have gotten in that case, other than a sense of guilt and entitlement for being a jerk. As it is, I am very happy with the outcome and, as I am doing here, will share this story of great customer service!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.