Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

UBER - BUF airport pickup and drop off on Canadian side?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Can Uber pickup at BUF airport and drop me off at the Sheraton on the Falls which is on Canadian side? I did a fare estimate and it seems a valid route ..
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Can Uber pickup at BUF airport and drop me off at the Sheraton on the Falls which is on Canadian side? I did a fare estimate and it seems a valid route ..
I would think that it could be a coin toss as to whether the driver has his/her passport in the car. Additionally, I would think some drivers would just not be willing to do it, they are probably not going to be able to pick up a return fare and they will have to sit in the border crossing line to come back to NY.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Yes, this is feasible if the driver has a passport with them and are willing to sit with you through immigration.

You're better off having them drop you off at the border crossing, and doing a pedestrian transit, then picking up another Uber on the other side. Or, you're realistically close enough to walk from the Canadian side to the Sheraton depending on how much luggage you carry.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Let's continue this discussion in the Mid-Atlantic destination forum.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Miami305
Yes, this is feasible if the driver has a passport with them and are willing to sit with you through immigration.
Wouldn't a NYS "enhanced" driver license -- which I believe many residents of Western New York have -- be sufficient for a land crossing? Or is it not valid for commercial trips across the border?
​​​​​
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:54 am

Would it be legal for an Uber driver who is not a legal resident of Canada to "work" in Canada by driving a passenger for pay?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Would it be legal for an Uber driver who is not a legal resident of Canada to "work" in Canada by driving a passenger for pay?
I'm thinking that a Canada pickup/Canada drop-off would not be permitted by a US resident driver without a work permit.

However, a US pickup/Canada drop-off by a US resident may be treated a little differently. I remember (back in 1995) taking a US cab from Niagara Falls, NY to Niagara Falls, ON, and a Canadian cab back from ON to NY later that night. Of course, back then pre-WHTI all we needed was our US Drivers Licenses to cross the border.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not send an email to Uber's help function?

What used to happen with taxis is irrelevant. This is an issue which is likely to have been addressed with Canadian and US authorities and there may be all kinds of issues depending on the driver's citizenship and residency status.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
One additional item to consider is UberX drivers using personal vehicles may have items you may not want to be associated with at a border crossing in the case of a search. UberBlack which I don't believe is available in WNY would be different.

The BUF airport website I believe has some limo companies that do this kind of transportation regularly.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
I'm not sure if OP's made their trip yet or not but in any case there's a shuttle from BUF to the Canadian side that comes out to $3 cheaper than the price I got from Uber's estimator. More info is on BUF's website: http://www.buffaloairport.com/Canadi...raFallsCA.aspx
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Uber / Lyft pickup at BUF airport

One of the airport website says "If you have arranged for a pickup with a rideshare company (i.e. Uber or Lyft) exit terminal doors closest to carousel 1 in the baggage claim area and follow signs to the designated pick up spots in the hotel shuttle bus lane."

Is the above still the case? Thanks !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.