Tipping option coming to Uber

Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I thought Uber also had wait times if I ask the driver to make a detour to run an errand? (I also thought drivers were fully empowered to decline such wait requests and ask you to summon a new Uber after you run your errand.)

I've never asked an Uber driver to do any of this. I would expect the answer to either be NO or for there to be a platform-driven cost for doing so.

It shouldn't be bribe-based.
the idle time paid to drivers is .08-.12 a minute depending on market. No driver wants to sit and wait for less than minimum wage. The problem is that Uber has empowered riders to expect this service. Drivers are then at the mercy of an unfair low rating from the rider for refusing to be exploited like that. In some cases, false accusations against the driver are reported to Uber in retaliation. This leads to temporary suspension and lost income.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:46 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Iwantmy240
the idle time paid to drivers is .08-.12 a minute depending on market. No driver wants to sit and wait for less than minimum wage. The problem is that Uber has empowered riders to expect this service. Drivers are then at the mercy of an unfair low rating from the rider for refusing to be exploited like that. In some cases, false accusations against the driver are reported to Uber in retaliation. This leads to temporary suspension and lost income.
I disagree that Uber has empowered riders to expect a driver to wait around while running an errand. Aside from forums like this and reddit, I've never heard of that happening. Asking a driver to wait for me would never cross my mind...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by TBD
I disagree that Uber has empowered riders to expect a driver to wait around while running an errand. Aside from forums like this and reddit, I've never heard of that happening. Asking a driver to wait for me would never cross my mind...
This. Especially considering most major markets are so saturated with drivers that it takes less than a minute to get a new ride.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by TBD
I'm glad you are considerate of your driver's time, but there are plenty of riders who expect you to wait in a long drive thu line at In and Out during peak hours, or keep you waiting for a "quick" stop on a short fare, and threaten you with 1 star. My rating is high enough that I don't care, but there are some whom this can be the difference between getting deactivated. When I mean empowering riders, I mean the use of an arbitrary rating system is abused by certain riders who don't get there way. There should be no rating system, like taxis. If there is a legitimate issue, the rider should have to take time to write in a complaint, instead of just clicking 1 star cause they didn't get their drive thru.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I'm glad you are considerate of your driver's time, but there are plenty of riders who expect you to wait in a long drive thu line at In and Out during peak hours, or keep you waiting for a "quick" stop on a short fare, and threaten you with 1 star. My rating is high enough that I don't care, but there are some whom this can be the difference between getting deactivated. When I mean empowering riders, I mean the use of an arbitrary rating system is abused by certain riders who don't get there way. There should be no rating system, like taxis. If there is a legitimate issue, the rider should have to take time to write in a complaint, instead of just clicking 1 star cause they didn't get their drive thru.
Or drivers (and riders) should be given the option to appeal their rating. Which, admittedly, might require an excessive amount of resources. Maybe below a certain rating drivers/riders should be required to provide a written justification and documentation.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
Or drivers (and riders) should be given the option to appeal their rating. Which, admittedly, might require an excessive amount of resources. Maybe below a certain rating drivers/riders should be required to provide a written justification and documentation.
Appealing your rating is more difficult for drivers since you don't get told who gave a low rating. You can tell sometimes through reasoning. Rider ratings don't really matter as much because they can't get kicked off the platform. We can ask to not be paired up again but they then become someone else's problem. Drivers get suspended or fired over frivolous accusations...riders don't get booted unless they are caught on camera doing something bad.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Uber and Lyft should set clearer expectations on how/when/whether their services should be used for running errands and other side trips. Much like I hate the lack of transparency of side-bribing off-platform, I totally see why drivers don't like the lack of clarity on the expectations for side-tripping.

Lyft is opening *advertising* using rides for drive-thrus, so I guess I assume drivers got paid more for that. (Even though I have not done this on either Lyft or Uber.)

I've also generally assumed that drivers don't like people eating in their car, which makes the Lyft drive thru thing seem a bit odd to me.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: Uber, Lyft, Skymiles, Thanksagain, Hertz Gold Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pinniped
Uber and Lyft should set clearer expectations on how/when/whether their services should be used for running errands and other side trips. Much like I hate the lack of transparency of side-bribing off-platform, I totally see why drivers don't like the lack of clarity on the expectations for side-tripping.

Lyft is opening *advertising* using rides for drive-thrus, so I guess I assume drivers got paid more for that. (Even though I have not done this on either Lyft or Uber.)

I've also generally assumed that drivers don't like people eating in their car, which makes the Lyft drive thru thing seem a bit odd to me.
Yeah this is some side venture with Taco Bell... I don't know any details yet but in the past with Lyft these "special cars" paid the driver a bonus.
There was once a "special car" where the driver had to dance while greeting passengers. Needless to say I don't support jig a-booing of any kind so I didn't play along.

That said yes waiting at the gas station, grocery store, or at a drive thru is a monumental waste of your drivers time.

As I said before: a passenger that is present (at the pin) and standing by at the curb, going from a to b, and let's the driver drive I support the no tip point of view.

However, waiting until 4 mins and 40 secs to walk out, asking the driver to make a side trip and wait, miscellaneous special requests... Tip
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:04 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Fine. Make drivers do the same. If you give me <5, then your rating is subject to my objection. And by the way: I'm the paying customer.

So long as drivers can hit me with <5 stars arbitrarily, I won't feel bad for doing the same....
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Uber, Lyft, Skymiles, Thanksagain, Hertz Gold Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TBD
Fine. Make drivers do the same. If you give me <5, then your rating is subject to my objection. And by the way: I'm the paying customer.

So long as drivers can hit me with <5 stars arbitrarily, I won't feel bad for doing the same....
What? What point are you making? Make drivers do what exactly?

Drivers are subject to (maybe you meant objective rating?) what ever a passenger rates.

Being the paying customer matters in this scenario why exactly?

Yes you have the money.... Yay!?! The driver has the car, insurance, gas, tax liability, maintenance fees, etc. Again what point are you making?

I think that the drivers on this forum have been clear on the reasons that can get you a less than 5:-: rating. Drivers have also stated that a tip (showing gratitude) can cause a driver to forgive bad rider behavior.
Your post seems to belong here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-...er-rating.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.