Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Using didi (滴滴出行) without a Chinese credit/debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using didi (滴滴出行) without a Chinese credit/debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium
I'm tired of having to negotiate with drivers every time I'm in a tourist area late, so this may seem worth the trouble. Thanks for the workaround.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm going to begin visiting China again, starting with a week in Beijing soon. Should I wait til I get there to setup Wechat and didi?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:25 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Does lyft work in China yet? I saw some news article about partnership with Didi and using the lyft app to hail Didi cars in China.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
Does lyft work in China yet? I saw some news article about partnership with Didi and using the lyft app to hail Didi cars in China.
No.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Here's the link (www.xiaojukeji.com, which is the parent company of didi) I used to download the didi app.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For what it is worth I speak Mandarin, had a local credit card, had a local SIM card and spent an hour working with the concierge at the JW Marriott in BJ. Could not get the app to work.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Works great as the directions say. Took me ages of trying all my cards and I couldn't even get a Chinese card working without a Chinese id. But having someone send me money to wepay worked.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Just noticed there is a "Non-China credit card" option under the "Password-free Payment" section.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by rdchen
Just noticed there is a "Non-China credit card" option under the "Password-free Payment" section.
Indeed, there is a section now called 国际信用卡 in the payment options and you can enter a foreign credit card. Note that there are separate boxes for first name and last name (in that order). After entering my Citi card, it loaded the Mastercard Securecode window right in the app and asked to confirm the last 4 digits of my SSN and billing zip code, and I was set to go. Will hopefully take my first ride tomorrow.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AwardBee
....Will hopefully take my first ride tomorrow.
Please let us know if you can actually use it. Do you still need a Chinese mobile number?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Hi

On a separate note, can I check if it is possible to use Didi to book a cab from Shanghai Pudong Airport Terminal 2 to downtown 2? I will be arriving at 6am and was wondering if this is an option for me to use Didi to book a cab at airport terminal.

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Anyone manage to get the didi engligh version yet? It was all over the news a few days ago about them rolling out an english version, expanding signup phone numbers, and allowing foreign credit cards. They even built in a text feature that translates for you and the driver. Sweet! (My Chinese Sucks)

I managed to sign up with a US number, and add a card but can't find a switch to english option.

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/05/08/di...ng-english.php
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi. OP says "iPhone users must temporarily switch to the China iTunes". I tried to do so following this instruction, but absolutely nothing in iTunes that requires internet will load, including the ID info (I am on Chinese internet). Any suggestions?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Update: downloaded the app fine using Apple Store's wifi. Something is wacky about the home wifi and cellular.

BTW, Didi now accepts US credit card. Yay
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:57 pm
MMU

Can someone please confirm a successful DiDi ride paid with an international credit card? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.