Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber: How do I change my mobile number when abroad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Uber: How do I change my mobile number when abroad

I'm in Kampala at the moment, and using Uber 2-3 times a day. On a couple of occasions, a driver has called me and the cost of the call the call can be more than the fare here. I'm struggling to change the mobile number associated with my Google account to that on one of my local SIM cards.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I have to do this all the time between Panama/USA/Europe

Pretty simple:

Settings > Edit Account > Enter Password > then update the phone number. You will get a text to verify, enter that code and its changed. You can also request a phone call if you dont get the text
Old Oct 29, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
When I tried to do it back in July from the app, it didn't work, and support was very unhelpful. When I complained about it on Flyertalk, I was told that the phone number change will only work if done from the website. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but that was my experience three months ago.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I changed mine on the app on the 19th Oct and then again on the 25th Oct. I also did it a couple of months ago when in Europe during the summer. It can be a hassle as the poster above pointed out, but I did manage it with both receiving texts and phone verifications
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
I have to do this all the time between Panama/USA/Europe

Pretty simple:

Settings > Edit Account > Enter Password > then update the phone number. You will get a text to verify, enter that code and its changed. You can also request a phone call if you dont get the text
This method worked for me two days ago
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Ok, I've managed to change my number,at least in the app. Thanks all.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:05 am

Are you sure the driver had to pay for the international call? I thought Uber drivers cannot see your real number - and they call a local number and the call is forwarded.

Originally Posted by Internaut
I'm in Kampala at the moment, and using Uber 2-3 times a day. On a couple of occasions, a driver has called me and the cost of the call the call can be more than the fare here. I'm struggling to change the mobile number associated with my Google account to that on one of my local SIM cards.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:08 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Are you sure the driver had to pay for the international call? I thought Uber drivers cannot see your real number - and they call a local number and the call is forwarded.
I believe that the OP is saying that he/she is the one who paid for the call, and the cost to receive that call in Kampala cost as much as the Uber fare.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Wish uber can put in more than 1 number in the profile... For frequent travelers, it's a pain to keep changing numbers in the app and verifying them...
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
I did this and got another sign-up bonus with the newer number when I was visiting London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.