Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Understanding your rating
Ratings allow us to ensure a great experience with Uber for both riders and drivers. Just like you rate drivers, drivers can rate riders on a scale of 1-5 stars after each trip.

How your rating is calculated
Your rating is an average of the ratings you’ve received from drivers, and is measured out of 5 stars. Ratings are anonymous, so neither you nor your driver will ever see an individual rating you’ve received.

Very few people have a perfect rating, so don’t despair if your average isn’t 5.0. Things that seem small to you can matter to your driver - it’s easy to accidentally slam a door if you’re not thinking about it. Knowing a little more about the things that affect a driver’s happiness can help you be a 5-star rider.

Short wait times.
Drivers love when riders are ready to go when they arrive at the pickup location. That includes making sure the location you entered is actually where you’ll be.

Courtesy.
Simple but true - it’s important that riders treat drivers and their cars the way they’d expect to be treated themselves. A positive attitude and considerate use of the car go a long way. That slice of pizza can wait.

Safety.
Drivers want to make sure everyone in their car is safe. Drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to break any laws. For example, every rider in the car should have their own seatbelt.

Why your rating matters
Ratings foster mutual respect between riders and drivers. This strengthens our community and helps everyone get the most from Uber. Just as you expect drivers to treat you with respect, drivers hope to feel the same acknowledgement from riders. A high rating is about more than bragging rights among your friends; it’s a sign that people enjoyed their time with you. Keep up the good work!
Print Wikipost

What's Your Uber Passenger Rating?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I just noticed my passenger rating went down significantly after taking a few trips in Europe. I wonder if the language barrier caused people to rate lower.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by aztimm
My rating is still at a 5.0.

Used Uber for about 2 years, mostly just when traveling, both around the US and in Brazil and Vietnam.
I find that surprising, given that Uber drivers have specifically signed up for FT accounts to push the message that they will down-rate you if you do not tip.

You must be lucky!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by samosa
I just noticed my passenger rating went down significantly after taking a few trips in Europe. I wonder if the language barrier caused people to rate lower.
It's interesting, I think my rating drops significantly from my use in Indonesia. I've been back in the US for several weeks now and my rating has improved from a 4.61 to a 4.79. I think I frustrate local drivers in Indonesia for some reason. My language skills are pretty good, but it's always a hassle to get the drivers to my exact location, even when the pin is right on target (always takes multiple calls, unless I am at the lobby of a hotel or shopping mall.) A lot of the local passengers use cash while I use my card so I think that also might have something to do with it.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wonder if there's simply a cultural norm about how people around the world fill out surveys.

I can imagine a bizarre parallel universe where a simple product or service, delivered acceptably but "averagely" (), merits a 3 out of 5. This Diet Coke in front of me, in a normal can, correctly chilled and carbonated, is a 3. If it were warm and flat, it'd be a 1. If it was unexpectedly in a gold-plated can, it'd be a 5.

In the U.S., we've been conditioned (at least on the Internet), that everything is a 5. You drop a 4 on something, and people want to know why you hated it so much. Give a hotel a series of middling/average numbers, and a manager might write you an email asking why you didn't rate their Fairfield Inn like it were the Ritz.

So is it possible that Indonesians simply give 3's and 4's to normal, positive encounters?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by pinniped

So is it possible that Indonesians simply give 3's and 4's to normal, positive encounters?
Probably. I have noticed that most of my drivers in Indo have ratings right around 4.6 even if they are great drivers, if they were driving in the US I would expect them to have a 4.8-4.9 rating. I'm only in the US for another week so hopefully I will return back to Indo with a higher rating.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
This is cool, never knew I could check my rating.

Sitting pretty at 5 stars! Only used Uber in the USA & Hong Kong.
Never tipped though, didn't realised it was expected.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol
This is cool, never knew I could check my rating.

Sitting pretty at 5 stars! Only used Uber in the USA & Hong Kong.
Never tipped though, didn't realised it was expected.
I read in this forum that you stay at 5 until you have more than 5 rides
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
That's interesting.

I have about 25 or so rides with Uber so I must be great
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I'm at 4.84. I was at 5 until I requested a pickup from inside a gated community in Johannesburg. My plan was to walk outside when he arrived, but as is customary for Uber in South Africa, they show up seconds after you request them.

So he must have found it slightly awkward, but I was outside in two minutes.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
It's interesting, I think my rating drops significantly from my use in Indonesia. I've been back in the US for several weeks now and my rating has improved from a 4.61 to a 4.79. I think I frustrate local drivers in Indonesia for some reason.
+1. I'm now at 4.82. About 20% of my trips this year have been in Turkey, where I assume that I probably picked up a few lousy ratings over language barriers. FWIW, I tip $1 about 75% of the time in the US. No idea if that score is affecting the quality of my user experience here, for better or for worse...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:55 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I'm at 4.66 and 90% of my rides are in SE Asia (Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand)

The rest in Turkey and Sweden.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Language barrier is definitely an issue. My rating dropped from 4.95+ to 4.7x in panama. It's back up to 4.84, still in Panama. It's amazing that drivers do not drive to the pin, always calling and asking for directions. Learning "drive to pin" in whatever language of the country you are in is pretty important.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Language barrier is definitely an issue. My rating dropped from 4.95+ to 4.7x in panama. It's back up to 4.84, still in Panama. It's amazing that drivers do not drive to the pin, always calling and asking for directions. Learning "drive to pin" in whatever language of the country you are in is pretty important.
It's a problem when you speak the language of the country, too. I was using Uber in Toronto and on several occasions, Uber drivers called me for directions, and answering the call would've incurred phone charges that would've rendered any saving with Uber void.

I've taken to watching the car on the map and moving towards it if it appears lost.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: United
4.79. I know who broke my 5, too. Guy picked me up with his entire back seat covered in dog hair. When I mentioned I couldn't sit back there because of the dog hair, he sighed and made a dramatic production out of moving a backpack and some papers from his front passenger seat. He blamed the dog hair on a previous passenger. Cool story, bro.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Wendigo
4.79. I know who broke my 5, too. Guy picked me up with his entire back seat covered in dog hair. When I mentioned I couldn't sit back there because of the dog hair, he sighed and made a dramatic production out of moving a backpack and some papers from his front passenger seat. He blamed the dog hair on a previous passenger. Cool story, bro.
I hope you returned the favor. It appears now you can provide specific feedback of why you gave a certain rating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.