Using Uber in London

Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Using Uber in London

I have a US Uber account which I have yet to use. I'll be in London next week and just received a 15GBP Uber credit from National Express which I would like to use to get from Victoria to my hotel. My question is my Uber account is linked to my US cell phone. Will I have to use that # to request a car or will I be able to switch to and use my UK sim?

Really not sure of how any of this works
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Usually the credit is tied to your Uber account, not to your phone. So as long as you're logged into the Uber app using the account where you have the credit at the time you request a ride, the credit should be applied.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I'm uk based and use Uber on 2 different Cell Phones one of them in the US. Without trouble the only caveat is they are both UK sim's.
John
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think the only "issue" might be the phone number that you have registered the Uber account with if they need to call you as a UK Uber driver is not likely to want to call a US mobile if he she needs to. Perhaps there is a simple way around it. Having said that I have used UBer with it registered to my UK number in the USA with no issues so it should work seamlessly the other way around I assume. If you really wanted to it is easy enough to go into Settings and edit your account and put your UK number in there.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:23 am

I used my US Uber in Paris without a hitch. I wish Uber offered the ability to include roaming numbers for that purpose or direct passenger communication system. At the airport, the individual had no problem calling a US mobile. In Central Paris, they never called but were always there.

Toggle Mobile and Truphone both offer SIM cards with a US and a UK Mobile number on the same card. You can also get a temporary UK number from Roamer, Hushed, or a ton of other services.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Toggle Mobile and Truphone both offer SIM cards with a US and a UK Mobile number on the same card.
Toggle also have the facility of local numbers in each of their local territories. They must be set up in advance, then activated on arrival. (I have a UK card with permanent US and Swiss numbers.)

What I'm not sure of is whether the local number shows up when being used locally. I fear that my (UK) number will show when roaming? Do you have any experience of this?

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/47.0.2526.107 Mobile/13A342 Safari/601.1.46)

They do now have an option to use a temporary phone number. When you click to call the driver it lets you input a temp #.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has come to my attention that we have an Uber forum - so off to it this goes!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Roger
Toggle also have the facility of local numbers in each of their local territories. They must be set up in advance, then activated on arrival. (I have a UK card with permanent US and Swiss numbers.)

What I'm not sure of is whether the local number shows up when being used locally. I fear that my (UK) number will show when roaming? Do you have any experience of this?

Thanks.
I have Toggle. The local number shows up; so if you are in the USA and using your USA number and text/call someone in the UK your USA number will show up, ie. it is the local number of the country you are roaming in (and for which you have activated a local number) that will show up.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:08 pm

You can change the phone number in the profile anytime you want.

Keep the registered credit card handy, as Uber may request that you send a picture of the credit card, to confirm it is you trying to use the account in the foreign country.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I have Toggle. The local number shows up; so if you are in the USA and using your USA number and text/call someone in the UK your USA number will show up, ie. it is the local number of the country you are roaming in (and for which you have activated a local number) that will show up.
Good to know. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.